• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Old School CB Radio NYC Metro Area Style!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

axissallyboyx

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
...Nothing was better than good old CB Radio in the tri-state area back in the day. I'm just getting back into the whole swing of things, it's fun for sure, but just isn't the same as it used to be. In the 90's, it was a nonstop free-for-all!!!

So many different interesting personalities back then. The arguments, the speeches, the death threats, and duck hunts...it was awesome!!! New York and New Jersey are some upbeat places to live, so naturally those keying up would be just as upbeat, exciting, and unpredictable for real.

Anyone up around those parts remember Richie "Doomsday" at all??? If there was one king of the CB band, it had to be the one Fuhrer of Richmond County!! When that angry drunken lunatic keyed up, everybody listened.

So yeah, with that in mind, anyone know what's up with that maniac? Is he still alive?? Dead? In inpatient rehab somewhere? Living and praying in some ancient Buddhist temple up in the Himalayas?? Where's he at? Inquiring minds would like to know. Peace.

fischlerpromo

...Nothing was better than good old CB Radio in the tri-state area back in the day. I'm just getting back into the whole swing of things, it's fun for sure, but just isn't the same as it used to be. In the 90's, it was a nonstop free-for-all!!!

So many different interesting personalities back then. The arguments, the speeches, the death threats, and duck hunts...it was awesome!!! New York and New Jersey are some upbeat places to live, so naturally those keying up would be just as upbeat, exciting, and unpredictable for real.

Anyone up around those parts remember Richie "Doomsday" at all??? If there was one king of the CB band, it had to be the one Fuhrer of Richmond County!! When that angry drunken lunatic keyed up, everybody listened.

So yeah, with that in mind, anyone know what's up with that maniac? Is he still alive?? Dead? In inpatient rehab somewhere? Living and praying in some ancient Buddhist temple up in the Himalayas?? Where's he at? Inquiring minds would like to know. Peace.

We had some very similar characters here in Los Angeles back in the 80's and 90's.
Their setup allowed them to be HEARD whenever they keyed down.
They were very loud, I know one guy whose handle was "Race Car", a guy named Chuck.. ran a 1000K kicker on his bass unit. Kind of hard NOT to hear him.

Wish I could help you on your quest....but I know nothing.

gewecke

Banned

Rich got smart and got his ham ticket! ;)
n9zas

DX949

Banned
Rich got smart and got his ham ticket! ;)
n9zas

You dont need to be smart to get a Ham ticket...........you be the living proof nz9ass.Just kidding :0)

gewecke

Banned
You dont need to be smart to get a Ham ticket...........you be the living proof nz9ass.Just kidding :0)

It takes a smart person to dump all the chaos,ignorance and simple lack of courtesy that's commonly found on cb.
I like radio,but I hate stupid people,so ham radio was the natural choice.
n9zas

DX949

Banned
It takes a smart person to dump all the chaos,ignorance and simple lack of courtesy that's commonly found on cb.
I like radio,but I hate stupid people,so ham radio was the natural choice.
n9zas
Did you read that in the manual !!!

TheSpaceMan

That handle does sound familiar. Might have heard him in the '60s or '70s at my old 20 up in the Bronx! We had a huge cast of characters back then as well... Sidewinder, Silvano, Tony The Pizza Man, Little Steve, Newcomer, Big Sickle, YL Debby, Green Eyes, Gunner, Navaho Joe, Master Blaster, Big Stick, Star Man, Night Flyer, Night Owl, Ladybug, Radio Man, etc, etc, etc.!! Would sure like to know where those characters are today! :)

peterwo2e

old bronx

we had lots of fun back in da bronx from 80s to 90s. we had some colorful characters. coffe grounds, and terry powerman . around the tremont section 175st. flywheel. carpenter base, tina, those were the ch 1 crew 80s, dr, zeus?. juicy bruicy always acting gay, grandmaster from forham and the concourse, maloman, bambi (yl), mercedes (yl), blue angel aka alex, 104 from crotona park, can't forget the nightly bs that went on for days and months. spend all night on the cb and go to bed at 5am.. and yes those so call channel masters that took owner ship of a certain channel. and would not go to the bathroom with out his buddy relieveing him of the channel master duties for fear that if the cahnnel were left without his guidence somebody would talk with out his permission..lol. there are lots of mature folks still on cb. lots of us went to ham but still come back to say hello to some old friend that still keys up on ssb on the outlaw freqs. i still to this day make an occational round on the cb channels late at night, nothing but truckers pasing thru the cross bronx i-95 all channels are dead nobody breaks night anymore. but an experience i would not forget, 73, pete, unit 104 now WO2E. sorry can't find the spell check!

TheSpaceMan

CB in The Bronx

we had lots of fun back in da bronx from 80s to 90s. we had some colorful characters. coffe grounds, and terry powerman . around the tremont section 175st. flywheel. carpenter base, tina, those were the ch 1 crew 80s, dr, zeus?. juicy bruicy always acting gay, grandmaster from forham and the concourse, maloman, bambi (yl), mercedes (yl), blue angel aka alex, 104 from crotona park, can't forget the nightly bs that went on for days and months. spend all night on the cb and go to bed at 5am.. and yes those so call channel masters that took owner ship of a certain channel. and would not go to the bathroom with out his buddy relieveing him of the channel master duties for fear that if the cahnnel were left without his guidence somebody would talk with out his permission..lol. there are lots of mature folks still on cb. lots of us went to ham but still come back to say hello to some old friend that still keys up on ssb on the outlaw freqs. i still to this day make an occational round on the cb channels late at night, nothing but truckers pasing thru the cross bronx i-95 all channels are dead nobody breaks night anymore. but an experience i would not forget, 73, pete, unit 104 now WO2E. sorry can't find the spell check!
Who could ever forget Terry "Powerman"? He moved to Pelham Parkway and White Plains Road, and operated there for several years. He then moved to South Carolina, and I spoke with him down there via skip on several occasions. There are actually quite a few of the old timers still on in The Bronx! The Channel 31 crowd is still on, with Torpedo, Snowman and several others who have operated almost continuously on that channel since the 1970s!! They are not on all the time, but you can often catch them on during the evenings.

TheSpaceMan

Anybody from NYC who remembers the guy who used to get on with this announcement: "Dis is
da spider!"
Are you talking about "Spiderman" from Pelham Parkway? He started on CB way back in 1965, with the call letters "KMD 1804"! His name was Ronald and I knew him very well, along with Bob Hahn (KMD 0686), Ricky Kaufman (KBI 7059), Mitch Gruick (KKD 9884), Mel Diamond (KKD 9007, who always sounded like a girl), Larry Fein (KBI 8902), Allen Altchuler (KMD 3343), Tony the Pizza man with his rig in back of the store on Williamsbridge Road, Silvano from Fordham Road, Sal, "Little Steve", "Sidewinder", "Night Owl" Jeff, "YL Debby", Arlette, Maurice, "Newcomer", "Starman" Bruce, "Night Flyer" mobile, "Gunner" Ray, Sammy, the list just goes on and on!

peterwo2e

cb call letters!

Are you talking about "Spiderman" from Pelham Parkway? He started on CB way back in 1965, with the call letters "KMD 1804"! His name was Ronald and I knew him very well, along with Bob Hahn (KMD 0686), Ricky Kaufman (KBI 7059), Mitch Gruick (KKD 9884), Mel Diamond (KKD 9007, who always sounded like a girl), Larry Fein (KBI 8902), Allen Altchuler (KMD 3343), Tony the Pizza man with his rig in back of the store on Williamsbridge Road, Silvano from Fordham Road, Sal, "Little Steve", "Sidewinder", "Night Owl" Jeff, "YL Debby", Arlette, Maurice, "Newcomer", "Starman" Bruce, "Night Flyer" mobile, "Gunner" Ray, Sammy, the list just goes on and on!
Wow you got it pack down to the old cb call letters. My call was kbtg7460. One of the few and last. Calls. B4 the fcc abolish the system. Is there a cb call data base look up that you know about? I'm just cureaus.

TheSpaceMan

Wow you got it pack down to the old cb call letters. My call was kbtg7460. One of the few and last. Calls. B4 the fcc abolish the system. Is there a cb call data base look up that you know about? I'm just cureaus.
I heard that the FCC keeps all the old call signs in their records, and that you can get a list by submitting a Freedom of Information Act request to them.

kb2vxa

Banned
Oh boy, you guys missed the REAL good times back in the 23 channel days with Da Boyz In Da Hood aka da Brooklyn Bums. Oh we had our characters over on "the dirty side" aka NJ but guys like Bob Base and The Fisherman better known as Fish (dayah dayah dayah dayah) and his moll and dell whatever THAT was were nightly entertainment on 21. Callsigns? WHAT callsigns? Mine was KMA-1004... heh heh heh.

Remember the QSL cards in the movie Frequency? I don't know how CB QSLs got into a ham shack but there they were and I KNEW these guys!

Oh, here's the most popular Neeeew Yawk CB rig back in the day, I kid thee not. Hey, who needs a leenyar? (;->)

Last edited:

TheSpaceMan

Popular old rigs

my Depends???).That ol' Johnson "Viking Valiant" was THE radio for many! Hadn't seen one of them in over 50 years. If memory serves me, that was the predecessor to the famous "White Face".
The Lafayette HE-20C was very popular, as was the Courier 23 Plus, the Lafayette Comstat 25, the Courier Royale, the Regency Range Gain, the Radio Shack Realistic Navaho, and quite a few others. You can see them all if you just do a Google search for: "CB Radio museum".

Status
Not open for further replies.