• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Robyn SB-520D

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a nice cb base station radio but can anyone tell me if there are any mods for it like extra tx power?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have a nice cb base station radio but can anyone tell me if there are any mods for it like extra tx power?

It will last you longer if you leave it stock.
The few extra watts you might have squeezed out of it won't make any noticeable difference,and will shorten the life span of the rf final transistors.
n9zas

KU2S

Invest in a decent antenna. You'll more than make up any gains you might think you get by "tuning" that radio. I've got an SB-520D that's stock, using a 5/8 wave verticle.. I've talked to Greenland on SSB from New York on that radio.

Daniel_Boone

Banned due to duplicate accounts
Banned
The other half of the equation is to use the best possible coax.

Using a cheap coax only throws away a part of the signal you might need to get out.
It might also throw away a part of the signal you need to receive.

I just bought 120' of brand new 9913f.

The 9913 Belden coax - rigid is a better cable, but I already had a 70 and a 50 foot length of each.

The other half is to put the antenna up as high as possible.

There is formula's for calculations for height for 5/8 wave antenna's for maximum efficiency.

a2phil

For extra channels (you can get over 200) do a Google search for uPD 858 channel mods...

I have a Cobra 139 XLR that has the same board...

LtDoc

I'll agree with the first two posts, leave it alone and use a better antenna. Power just isn't the answer to all your problems, it's a loosing proposition. To make any significant differences you have to double power output to be able to hear a change. Even then, that change isn't going to be much. I'm not aware of any radio that is made in such a way that it's possible to double it's output without significantly reducing it's 'life'. Which says nothing about it's signal quality.
But it's your radio...
- 'Doc

KLE3704

robyn520D

It will last you longer if you leave it stock.
The few extra watts you might have squeezed out of it won't make any noticeable difference,and will shorten the life span of the rf final transistors.
n9zas

I have this and it was peak out at about 8watt dead key and swing about 3watt more, sound good but after I put on a D104 lollipop two weeks later I lost my finals in the radio, so if you do tune it up don`t use a power mike you last longer with a old hand mike plus if you was going to run a foot warner you would be too must power most foot warmer is low drives 3 watts or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.