• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

need CB advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hulca

I am going to buy a CB for my truck, drive alot on the highways.
I would really like a high quality CB radio that recieves/transmits over far distances.

Many people are telling me to buy a ham and do a mod. Not sure about that, but if it is an option, also please give me your advise.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

freqs

You will get alot of people telling you not to buy a radio like that .They are illegal .
I have a Cobra 148 and a Wilson 1000 mag mount Antenna and do real well on trips and around town.

acepilot340

What people are telling you is to buy a 10 meter radio and do a conversion so that it works on the 11 meter D band.

Is this illegal?
-Technically yes, because you need an amateur radio license to transmit on the 10 meter bands.

PM me if you want more details on using 10 meter radios.

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
I am a licensed ham operator, and will say that for in general cb radio is dead, but for truck drivers it is still alive & kicking. I wouldn't risk the 10 meter conversion, as it is very risky, but I would recommend going & getting your general or extra class ham license and getting an HF mobile, than you can talk all over the world right from the cab of your truck.

reedeb

What people are telling you is to buy a 10 meter radio and do a conversion so that it works on the 11 meter D band.

Is this illegal?
-Technically yes, because you need an amateur radio license to transmit on the 10 meter bands.

No technically about it!! IT IS ILLEGAL pure and simple even with a ham licence!! Modify a CB OR a 10 meter rig makes it illegal!!!

Simply get a CB and a good antenna and call it good.

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
No technically about it!! IT IS ILLEGAL pure and simple even with a ham licence!! Modify a CB OR a 10 meter rig makes it illegal!!!

Simply get a CB and a good antenna and call it good.

Absolute truth, but the FCC has washed its hands of CB radio it seems like. The FCC rules state the max limit is 4 watts on AM & 11 watts SSB I believe, but CB seems to be nothing but everyone talking all over each other and using illegal high power amplifiers. The reason you hear people from far is they are using enough power to create skip. The only time the FCC steps in is if they hear of constant interference on the 10 & 12 meter bands. There has been a lot more people getting busted with these illegal rigs that can transmit 50+ watts on CB bands. Sad thing is, you can go on ebay and buy them cheap. If you want more legal power, get your ham license. As a ham, you can run up to 1,500 watts of power. You can run a 200 or 400 watt amp on 2 meters or 70cm and hit repeaters easily about 100 miles away, and more in higher elevations.

Hulca

All good advise. Thank you!

The radio reference forum has been a great help in my scanner hobby and now CB.
I am giving some thought to getting my ham licence and will get the cobra 148, as mentioned above.

For now, lets see what happens and if I enjoy it.

Thanks again.

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
All good advise. Thank you!

The radio reference forum has been a great help in my scanner hobby and now CB.
I am giving some thought to getting my ham licence and will get the cobra 148, as mentioned above.

For now, lets see what happens and if I enjoy it.

Thanks again.

Hope you do get your license! You can get it with a week of study time. I got my tech license in April 2010, a d upgraded to general in october. Currently studying for my Extra, but Tech is a great start to talk locally on 2 meters, 70cm & 6 meters.

freqs

I am a licensed ham operator, and will say that for in general cb radio is dead, but for truck drivers it is still alive & kicking. I wouldn't risk the 10 meter conversion, as it is very risky, but I would recommend going & getting your general or extra class ham license and getting an HF mobile, than you can talk all over the world right from the cab of your truck.
CB is still alive in the Detroit area but it aint great durring the day its all trash talk but at nite it will let up and you can find some people that talk normal theres is about 3 - 4 channels that are real active all the time .We do have alot of freebanders

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"The reason you hear people from far is they are using enough power to create skip."

Gee, I learn something new ever day, and I thought "skip" was ionospheric sky wave propagation. (;->)

Last edited:

reedeb

"The reason you hear people from far is they are using enough power to create skip."

Gee, I learn something new ever day, and I thought "skip" was ionospheric sky wave propagation. (;->)

You mean it was a fluke back in the 90's when I talked with folks from Austrailia when I lived in Maine using a simple Rad Shack CB [untouched ]and 102 " steel whip?

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
Well, if you are familiar with CB, you know about the "super bowl" which is where a bunch of people with amps meet up on channel 6. I remember in Indiana, we used to sit in the driveway and listen to people all over from Florida, Mexico & a few countries in Europe

kc4jgc

You mean it was a fluke back in the 90's when I talked with folks from Austrailia when I lived in Maine using a simple Rad Shack CB [untouched ]and 102 " steel whip?

No. Assuming by "untouched" you mean unmodified 4w am or 12w ssb it may have not been a fluke at all. I think you are misunderstanding Warren. What he was commenting on was the following incorrect statement by JDailey1981.
The reason you hear people from far is they are using enough power to create skip.
Fact is, if the maximum usable frequency is less than 27 MHz, one can transmit megawatts, but will still only be heard line of sight. The skywave will be absorbed by the ionosphere. once the MUF reaches 27-28 MHz, THAT is when the skywave for 11 & 10 meters will reflect off the ionosphere back to earth. In the "skip zone" (the range between the end of a station's ground wave and where its signal returns to earth via skywave) that station is still not heard.

I once worked a station in New Zealand on 11m ssb on 12 watts in the mid '80's. It was so brief I heard the CQ, replied, copied name and location and was GONE in less than a minute at 0300 local. Since getting my ham ticket in 1989 I have worked Austrailia with 50 watts and Japan on 25 watts on 10m ssb. These were worked during the height of the solar cycle (cycle 22, I believe) which depending on when in the '90's you worked that aussie station would coincide. I would even hazard to guess that you may have "grey line" propagation helping you out a bit. Grey line is the enhanced propagation along the terminator between night and day.

Hope that clears things up for you.

reedeb

No. Assuming by "untouched" you mean unmodified 4w am or 12w ssb it may have not been a fluke at all. I think you are misunderstanding Warren. What he was commenting on was the following incorrect statement by JDailey1981. Fact is, if the maximum usable frequency is less than 27 MHz, one can transmit megawatts, but will still only be heard line of sight. The skywave will be absorbed by the ionosphere. once the MUF reaches 27-28 MHz, THAT is when the skywave for 11 & 10 meters will reflect off the ionosphere back to earth. In the "skip zone" (the range between the end of a station's ground wave and where its signal returns to earth via skywave) that station is still not heard.

I once worked a station in New Zealand on 11m ssb on 12 watts in the mid '80's. It was so brief I heard the CQ, replied, copied name and location and was GONE in less than a minute at 0300 local. Since getting my ham ticket in 1989 I have worked Austrailia with 50 watts and Japan on 25 watts on 10m ssb. These were worked during the height of the solar cycle (cycle 22, I believe) which depending on when in the '90's you worked that aussie station would coincide. I would even hazard to guess that you may have "grey line" propagation helping you out a bit. Grey line is the enhanced propagation along the terminator between night and day.

Hope that clears things up for you.

I was being sarcastic [no scarcasm icon] and joking a bit with Jason

kb2vxa

Banned
Thanks guys, after getting the giggles from the posts following mine I decided to stir the pot a bit. There is one transmitting station powerful enough to create its own skip... name it.

SCPD

QRT
Galaxy

If you can buy a Galaxy pretty much any older model with a 3600 board , clip the modulation and do a pnp mod it will key low watts and swing like you wouldn't believe! all the hams are going to sling sh** at me but screww them I have been doing it for years. my 13 yr old galaxy has been running strong without burning the final and all the other BS they tell you will happen. I would NOT even think twice about keying it up with no anntenna hooked to it without it burning up. on a scope yeah it looks bad but can you honestly tell I'm over modulated NO!!!!!!! stay off the CB thread if you don't like what CB users do stick to your ham threads don't feed us your BS!!!!!!!

reedeb

if you can buy a galaxy pretty much any older model with a 3600 board , clip the modulation and do a pnp mod it will key low watts and swing like you wouldn't believe! All the hams are going to sling sh** at me but screww them i have been doing it for years. My 13 yr old galaxy has been running strong without burning the final and all the other bs they tell you will happen. I would not even think twice about keying it up with no anntenna hooked to it without it burning up. On a scope yeah it looks bad but can you honestly tell i'm over modulated no!!!!!!! Stay off the cb thread if you don't like what cb users do stick to your ham threads don't feed us your bs!!!!!!!

Wow!! Somebody must have tweeked you real bad. Mr Big Bad CBer lemme guess you gotta a REAL radio, right? [I used to hear that all the time from the big bad boys]

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
Wow!! Somebody must have tweeked you real bad. Mr Big Bad CBer lemme guess you gotta a REAL radio, right? [I used to hear that all the time from the big bad boys]

Tear into him! Lol, chances are he isn't even smart enough to pass the test so he is stuck on CB. He isn't a moderator, so can kiss it where the sun don't shine, cause maybe we like decent conversation with decent CBers, not some redneck trash talker. I personally don't give a rats a** what his bag bad Galaxy can do, cause my ht with the standard antenna can blow his pos out of the water. I don't care how long he has been doing it either. He can have his 40 channels, we will enjoy many different bands, and modes we have. Guess he probably feels better trying to act bada** in a forum, cause he is used to talking smack behind a mic:D

CapnJon

Buy a RCI2950 and have someone peak it to 25 watts. Buy a good noise cancelling amp'd mic. You'll have a good CB and 10 meter radio if you decide to go ham.

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Banned
OK now simmer down and answer my question. Since it slipped your minds with all those brickbats flying I'll remind you; name the transmitting station powerful enough to create its own skip.

"If ye make me moderator I'll kill th' lot o' ye an' burn yer town ta cinders!"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.