• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

cb in my house

Status
Not open for further replies.

swrvninmypala

i want to hook up a cb in my house using a wilson 5000 ant. i need to know what power source i need to run my cb. and how to hook it up?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
i want to hook up a cb in my house using a wilson 5000 ant. i need to know what power source i need to run my cb. and how to hook it up?

Well you could just plug it in the wall...and stand back. :twisted:

n9zas

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
get a DC power supply rated for at least 50% more current than your radio draws at maximum TX. for a CB, i would say get a 13.6VDC 10 or 12 amp power supply and you should be well covered.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Since the Wilson 5000 is a mobile antenna along with the power supply you first must consider using a proper base antenna to use your CB in the house. Oh now here it comes, "What is the BEST base antenna?" <groan>

W2NJS

I respectfully suggest that you get some local, personal help with this matter so that you don't get injured doing this work. Start with the instruction book that should have been furnished with your radio. If you don't have it you can probably get it from the company that made the radio. Don't go outside and start messing with an antenna until you know for sure how to do it; people get killed every year doing this.

Get yourself an astron 7amp 12 volt Fully Regulated power supply ,hook the red wire to the red terminal and the black wire to the black terminal ,turn the power supply on and you are done.I would put the antenna outside on top of a road sign or other metal.Keep the antenna away from structures or you will have reflected transmit power.If you have the cash,buy a Antron base antenna ,put on pole on the roof with chimney straps.
Keep the antenna away from any and all wires that are attached to your home.Copper electronics is the cb guys friend.

ZigZag747

Get yourself an astron 7amp 12 volt Fully Regulated power supply ,hook the red wire to the red terminal and the black wire to the black terminal ,turn the power supply on and you are done.I would put the antenna outside on top of a road sign or other metal.Keep the antenna away from structures or you will have reflected transmit power.If you have the cash,buy a Antron base antenna ,put on pole on the roof with chimney straps.
Keep the antenna away from any and all wires that are attached to your home.Copper electronics is the cb guys friend.

Power supplies are great but and unless you have a car battery laying around, a necessity. Don't need anything big, 7 amps are plenty. Now about antennas, your mag-mount antenna was designed to work best on a vehicle, not to say you can't get it to work for you in your house our out in the field. The mag-mount is only half of an antenna (the active side) it uses AC coupling of the RF shield currents to the metal of the car via capacitive currents to provide the second half of the antenna (reflective side). Key to making this work effectively for you at home you would need to have a reflected surface comparable to a vehicle to insure the antenna's resistance matches the radio's...The Wilson 1000, with out the reflective side measures about 36 ohms, your radio would like to work with a matching 50 ohms, so how do you tell if you have a surface good enough for a perfect 50/50 match at your house? Well you can get yourself a SWR meter from a local Pilot gas station or TA truck stop or Radio Shack, read the directions for hooking the meter up to your setup and try to get your readings as close to 1:1...If you readings are too high try to find a metal surface that will give you a better match. The Wilson antenna out of the box is pretty close to being tuned properly to most vehicle surfaces, so high SWR readings at home would lead me to believe the reflective side is not matched...also remember your readings will be effected by your surrounding structures also...If you're looking for a cheap efficient portable base station antenna a hanging vertical dipole antenna made from 18ft of 18awg braided wire for your active end and 18ft of 18awg braided wire for your reflective end would work far better than your mag-mount antenna, especially if you have a tall tree in your backyard...key here is to be creative and have fun and learn something about your hobby...enjoy...

Status
Not open for further replies.