The RadioReference.com Forums

The RadioReference.com Forums (https://forums.radioreference.com/)
-   CB Radio Forum (https://forums.radioreference.com/cb-radio-forum/)
-   -   Superscope not so super (https://forums.radioreference.com/cb-radio-forum/208861-superscope-not-so-super.html)

truenorth 04-08-2011 3:56 PM

Superscope not so super
 
Hi there, new member looking for a little advice.

Many years ago I was given a Superscope AirCommand CB radio. I recently dug it out and was toying with the idea of installing it in my truck.

I bought an antenna, hooked it all up, and nothing. I have power in the device, the dial lights up. If I crank up the volume to the max, I hear faint static, but thats it.

What should I be looking into to try and get this thing working? I've tried hooking up external speakers, and I hear the faint static just the same.

Any advice?

KG4INW 04-08-2011 6:37 PM

Hmm, first, is the squelch up? Just turn it all the way down if it is. Other than that, I'm not sure.

truenorth 04-09-2011 11:36 AM

Squelch down (and up) doesnt change much. Oh, well, maybe the radio is just toast. I think I'll start looking for another unit.

Thanks anyways.

methusaleh 04-09-2011 9:05 PM

How is the SWR on the antenna? Is it properly grounded?

Also check the mic wires for continuity, and the pins if possible.

KK6BDZ 04-09-2011 9:09 PM

could be a bad mic wire, wiggle the mic cord near the mic and see if the static comes up, some radio's use a circut through the mic switch to tx and rx

DionW 05-08-2012 4:57 AM

I know this is an old thread but I am having the same issues with an old Superscope Aircommand CB-640 that I picked up off of craigslist for $25.00. The radio seems to be in mint condition but for some reason it will not transmit or receive anything. All I get is some faint static noise and that's it. Do any of you guys have any suggestions?

kb2vxa 05-08-2012 10:05 AM

If you have a known to be working antenna connected and it sounds like there is no antenna look inside for a broken connection. If at first you don't succeed use a bigger hammer. If all else fails dynamite works.

nonperson 05-08-2012 6:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DionW (Post 1750908)
I know this is an old thread but I am having the same issues with an old Superscope Aircommand CB-640 that I picked up off of craigslist for $25.00. The radio seems to be in mint condition but for some reason it will not transmit or receive anything. All I get is some faint static noise and that's it. Do any of you guys have any suggestions?

What do you have the switches / controls set on? Have you tested your antenna? I apologize if you knew enough to try that all ready.

DionW 05-08-2012 7:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kb2vxa (Post 1751010)
If you have a known to be working antenna connected and it sounds like there is no antenna look inside for a broken connection. If at first you don't succeed use a bigger hammer. If all else fails dynamite works.

lol...Yeah I haven't cracked the case yet but I guess that's going to be next.

DionW 05-08-2012 8:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonperson (Post 1751245)
What do you have the switches / controls set on? Have you tested your antenna? I apologize if you knew enough to try that all ready.

No need to apologize, I'm open to any and all suggestions. I have two other CB radios that the antenna(K40) works great on. I've tried the switches on every possible configuration and still nothing but static. Guess I'll have to crack it open this weekend and see what's up.

hueyparker 06-23-2014 5:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DionW (Post 1751311)
No need to apologize, I'm open to any and all suggestions. I have two other CB radios that the antenna(K40) works great on. I've tried the switches on every possible configuration and still nothing but static. Guess I'll have to crack it open this weekend and see what's up.

Hi Dion, any update on this? I recently came upon a 640 with the same problem: no transmission although when I key up with another working CB nearby on the same channel, the other will go silent but no voice is received.

Inquietude 07-05-2014 4:14 PM

HI,
The Superscope radios are full of cold solder joints, particularly around the PLL system. I have encountered two radios so far. A 140 belonged to a friend--he got it free--and a 640--I got that one free myself. They both did the same thing: no rx/tx, or acting completely bananas; push on the pc board near the pll chip and it cleared up. I haven't fixed the 140 yet but I did get my 640 going. In this case I reflowed several cold joints just because they were so terrible. Had to help but didn't solve the problem. Then noticed that some channels worked, some worked but were wrong, and others completely bonkers (not locking). The service manual is online at CBTricks (what a gift) and I compared my radio's behavior to the binary programming chart for the pll. Discovered that bits 5 and 6 must have been stuck at "1". Reflowed the joints that provided power to the chip that interrupted the data between the channel selector and the pll chip and it worked. Incidentally, there are four chips added at that point because of the channel 9 scan function.
I would suggest if you really feel motivated to fix the unusual rare Superscopes check for bad solder joints where the circuit is failing. PLL will stop rx/tx function. Also, the mic cord was shot, adding to the problem. Good luck. It is a pretty cool radio once working. Mine was in good condition so it was worth the effort to fix/learn.
73.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger