• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How do you make an echo mic from scratch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZigZag747

I was thinking of trying to modify a standard Cobra four pin mic into an echo mic just for fun...does anyone know how to do this? I'd like to be able to adjust echo and reverb also...I've tried to do a limited search on the web but couldn't find anything, can anyone point me in a good direction? Thanks.

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
Why would you want to do this ?
If you want to hear yourself talk,
just go stand in the closet & close the door
& talk to yourself.

He didnt say he wanted talkback... He said he wanted ECHO.

Nothing good to contribute to his question then leave him alone.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I was thinking of trying to modify a standard Cobra four pin mic into an echo mic just for fun...does anyone know how to do this? I'd like to be able to adjust echo and reverb also...I've tried to do a limited search on the web but couldn't find anything, can anyone point me in a good direction? Thanks.

I really want to reply, but I won't because it would be a reply from my EVIL twin! :twisted:

n9zas

SCPD

QRT
I really don't understand the fascination with echo/reverb mics or talkback but.... if you insist on crappy sounding audio you can do it on the cheap. Buy a 5 gallon plastic bucket and wear it on your head while using the mic and be sure to cut holes in it for your eyes if you're driving.

So much money is spent/wasted in the C.B. community on gadgets like noise makers, roger beeps, etc.

Sooo... "10-fo thar driver we be sittin' on the side fo-roger break break and we go" BEEEEEP

WQFM513

some people like my self, like to do this kind of stuff. not to annoy people, but to learn and figure stuff out. iv been doing it since i was 10 or so. so far, i have modded cbs, mics, computer stuff, just about anything electronic. maybe instead of talking down, or bad to a guy who asked a question, point him in the right direction. many people on this board have pointed me in the right direction for projects i have been working on.

for the op. Cicuit Ideas i havent tried anything here, except the vox circuit. seems to work alright. i was using it to link a weather alert receiver / tone alert radio to my gmrs repeater. i have since removed the vox and tar. the tar would go off at weird times and stay active untill i switched it off. tar was bad.

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
There are electronic reverb circuits intended for electric guitars that will work well. Here's a link to a data sheet for an appropriate chip:

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/PrincetonTechnologyCorporation/mXyzsyzt.pdf

The chips are readily available on eBay.

I use them to make squelch tail eliminators, but the primary application is for reverb and echo circuits. I'll toss my comments into the pot along with the others and ask "WHY!?", but at least I passed along something useful. =)

ZigZag747

some people like my self, like to do this kind of stuff. not to annoy people, but to learn and figure stuff out. iv been doing it since i was 10 or so. so far, i have modded cbs, mics, computer stuff, just about anything electronic. maybe instead of talking down, or bad to a guy who asked a question, point him in the right direction. many people on this board have pointed me in the right direction for projects i have been working on.

for the op. Cicuit Ideas i havent tried anything here, except the vox circuit. seems to work alright. i was using it to link a weather alert receiver / tone alert radio to my gmrs repeater. i have since removed the vox and tar. the tar would go off at weird times and stay active untill i switched it off. tar was bad.

513/Surge, I appreciate the info and support...I was really just curious about how to make one and had some time on my hands so I figured it would be a neat little project...As always I enjoyed the sarcasm from the other guys. I kind of expected it from what I normally read on this forum anyway...I figured somewhere out there I would get a, "Hey bro try reading this, it might help"...I understand that not everyone is going to agree with what I say and want to do and that while most people would normally be non-responsive in a situation similar to this...there's always those funny guys out there that feel the protection of anonymity allows them to down play others ideas with no consequence. Anyway, thanks for the laughs, I'm sorry some of you out there have nothing better to do, maybe you should make an echo mic or something...Appreciate the the guidance from the other side as always.

Last edited:

ZigZag747

There are electronic reverb circuits intended for electric guitars that will work well. Here's a link to a data sheet for an appropriate chip:

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/PrincetonTechnologyCorporation/mXyzsyzt.pdf

I use them to make squelch tail eliminators, but the primary application is for reverb and echo circuits. I'll toss my comments into the pot along with the others and ask "WHY!?", but at least I passed along something useful. =)

Thanks bro! That helps...

JayMojave

Hello Zig Zag 747:

Yeah you can surly build a circuit that will have a reverb in giving you a echo. I know there are a few CB Mic's out there that have the echo function built in, that would be easier than building one.

Many years ago (1960's) when I was a kid we used a reverb unit out of a car, feeding the audio into our General Radio telephone Super MC11A CB Radio, and mixed radio checks from great to terrible. Each to his own I guess.

I think the echo gets a bad rap from too many guys usung the echo and having it turned up too high.

Going to work once a I heard a station way out in the distance, on SSB. I replied to the guy and ask him to turn down his echo. He replied with his echo turned down to a slight echo and it inhanced and helped the audio to be better understood. I am hard of hearing and it certainly helped me understand the audio as it was in the noise from being over the mountains and such.

As you can see again from some of the unfriendly hams response here the echo isn't to popular. I used my echo mic on the local 2 meter repeater once and man did I stir the pot, hehehehhee.

Jay in the Mojave

Thanks bro! That helps...

reedeb

As you can see again from some of the unfriendly hams response here the echo isn't to popular. I used my echo mic on the local 2 meter repeater once and man did I stir the pot, hehehehhee.

Jay in the Mojave

I've used echo before and a slight echo form a station in the distance in more audable. BUT Jay you seem to have this thing agains hams [always making such comments] I'm a ham The ONLY problem I have with CBers are the ones who feel the need to run excesive power [what most call a REAL radio] and going into illegal frequencies.

I can see why using an echomike on a repeater would make folks upset. If you're a ham you are a very lousy operator. IF you don't have a license then do yourself a favor and stay off ham freqs [or better yet even IF you're a ham stay off em anyways. You haven't matured enough to use em!]

ZigZag747

Hello Zig Zag 747:

Yeah you can surly build a circuit that will have a reverb in giving you a echo. I know there are a few CB Mic's out there that have the echo function built in, that would be easier than building one.

I've seen the ones you can buy online...I was just asking to see if anyone had tried to make one before and if they did how did they go about it...I really was just looking for something to work on while I'm listening back at my base station...I appreciate the advice on getting a built in one, just wanted to make it myself that's all...thanks anyway.

Still would like to know if anyone had any luck making one of their own...I'm sure I could get all the components I need from a local radio shack...Think I'll head to Barnes and Noble to check out their radio section, might have something I can use for gathering information on this project...Ya'll take care.

ZigZag747

0468, thanks for the reply...I found the information very interesting and helpful...The reason I asked about making an echo board for my mic is because I've never done it before and would like to learn how it works with the audio chain on my radio. That and I find my self tinkering around with all kinds of things when I'm up in the attic with my radio...I enjoy reading about radio principles, antenna theory, and atmospheric propagation...If I was a HAM operator I would pride myself in being a QRP kind of guy...I like to throw my antenna's up high and I like to be portable most of the time. Just wanted to answer your question about why...again just curious and bored up stairs...haha...thanks again for the pdf file.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Please keep the negativity out of this thread. I've deleted two posts and do not want to delete anymore. If you disagree with the topic, ignore it and move on to another thread.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
0468, thanks for the reply...I found the information very interesting and helpful...

If you want to actually build one, as I said, the chips are on eBay, mostly from sellers in Asia. I've yet to find a local distributor who actually stocks them.

As to the why, that's fine. Hams like me think they sound idiotic, but it's not like I've never done anything idiotic on the air. It should be an easy circuit to build, and it'll satisfy that curiosity. Have fun.

And maybe you should get your ham license. QRP is a lot of fun, and there's more useful accessories you can build.

ZigZag747

And maybe you should get your ham license. QRP is a lot of fun, and there's more useful accessories you can build.

I've though about it a lot lately, even studied for the technician test a while back...seemed like every time someone was giving a test I had to deploy...Maybe one day it will all match up. I would like to get my license so I can sharpen up my CW...Haven't done code since early in the Navy. Use to be really good at it too, they say it's like riding a bike, just haven't had any use for it in a while, take care.

Ohio_359

Hams like me think they sound idiotic, but it's not like I've never done anything idiotic on the air.
HAMs call it effects processing and CBers call it echo. You say tomoto, I say tomato.

With that said, some guys go way overboard with the echo thing and it's just simply annoying.

How is the project going ZigZag?

Status
Not open for further replies.