• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Big power on channel 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

W5KVV

Anyone else hear these guys on channel 6? I dont remember all their handles, but one was "skillet" & "downtown brown". I havent listened to the CB in a long time, but the other night I was skimming the channels & came across these guys on 6.

I believe they are on the East coast, as one of them mentioned NJ. Im in S.E. Oklahoma & at night these guys are blowning my CB up on chan.6 ! They are pegging the meter on my little Uniden pro510xl like they were sitting right next to me.

Big time powa!!

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Someone from Team Snapperhead is always on Ch. 6. With it being "skip season", you'll hear more of them than normal.

W5KVV

Yup. That was one of them. Super Bowl.

Amazing they were comming in so clear, but I cant even hear them tonight.

How much power do you think they are running? 1000 watts?

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
Around Chicago they're loud and clear on channel 6. And 5. And 4. And 3. And 7. And 8. And 9...

The bleed-over is horrible, they knock out any effective use of 3-9.

KF4ZTO

They're running at least a few kilowatts. Do a YouTube search for "CB keydown", "27.025", "26.715" "channel 6 keydown" etc.

These guys are usually running upwards of 10kW. There's a local guy in Richmond that comes on channel 6 every once in while and keys down, bleeds over so bad that the noise floor from about 26 to 29 MHz goes up a few S-units.

They're usually using CBs with the modulation limiter clipped out, plus homemade amplifiers and antenna systems.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"Super bowl is big in south Jersey and through the Pinelands, so you probably did hear the east coast."

We call them pineys, hillbillies without the hills. A few kilowatts on a short mast and you have a grass burner, saves ammunition. Just a short keydown and birds fall from the trees and deer drop dead in their tracks so all they have to do is scoop them up already cooked. (Pure sarcasm, I've yet to see a piney shack with electricity.)

I have to laugh at the Mercedes and BMWs with bumper stickers saying "I'm proud to be a piney from my head down to my hiney." Give me a break, if you see a hillbilly type on a beat up old bicycle or in a trashed pickup truck it's a piney, they can't even afford the stickers.

"Some of those guys run in the tens of thousands of watts."

In their dreams! Broadcast transmitters 5KW and up run off 480V 3 phase for a reason, EI=P so if you do the math you'll see if you input lesser voltage the current soars and conductor diameter gets ridiculously large. Bottom line; CBers are notorious, grandiose liars.

"There's a local guy in Richmond that comes on channel 6 every once in while and keys down, bleeds over so bad that the noise floor from about 26 to 29 MHz goes up a few S-units."

You don't need a whole lot of power, just a golden screwdriver and a bird brain. The smart thing to do is AVOID splatter and concentrate your power (the minimum needed out of courtesy) where it counts, on channel. Spreading it out in sidebands all over the spectrum is wasted energy and generally makes enemies, that is it's an open invitation to a midnight antenna party.

k8wtf

I see a few CB guys at Dayton hamfest every year - on the prowl for high power tubes and sockets/chimneys for them. Trust me - they build some very high power amplifiers, and they are not shy about it.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
......A big amplifier tied to a beat up,am cb(stolen) radio sitting in the corner of a one bedroom apt. with no furniture no food and a 6pk of cheap beer in the frig is what I visualize some of these ch.6 "powahouse" losers to be,lol!

Oh,and let's not forget the- dollar- store- drop- cord- running- in- his- window- from- his- neighbors- basement- to- power- the- big- amp- because- he- got- fired- and- can't- afford- his electric bill kind of guy!
That's what I call *prestige* ! (sarcasm)

Oh yeah, good times there. :roll:

n9zas

Last edited:

UberGeek

I see a few CB guys at Dayton hamfest every year - on the prowl for high power tubes and sockets/chimneys for them. Trust me - they build some very high power amplifiers, and they are not shy about it.

I'm sure many run about 1 kW or so... But the claims of 10's of kW is ludicrous on it's face.

10kW, off of a 220V AC line is like a 75A minimum service line. To service a line like that, one would need a minimum of 3 gauge wire to supply it, and you would be draining 1/3 of the total service (Given a 300A service line), leaving very little left over for the rest of the house.

On top of that, at that kind of power rating one would rather quickly cook things, and require their own cooling systems (much like a data center would need).

And, I've yet to see an antenna on sale for that band that would carry 10kW

So, 10kW from a mobile installation? Not a chance in hell. 10kW from a base? Possible, but highly unlikely, unless one knows a thing or two about transmitter building construction.

W5KVV

You guys should check out some of the stuff on youtube. Some of these guys are very well educated in the field of eletronics & radios & what not. Im pretty sure they build their own stuff, so no need for aftermarket support.

I can only imagine the money they have in all that stuff.

UberGeek

You guys should check out some of the stuff on youtube. Some of these guys are very well educated in the field of eletronics & radios & what not. Im pretty sure they build their own stuff, so no need for aftermarket support.

I can only imagine the money they have in all that stuff.

I'm sure many are rather skilled. However, the ones that are don't make the claims of 10kW+, especially from a mobile install. It's just, for all intents and purposes, not possible.

From a base installation? Possible. Highly cost prohibitive, and requires extreme technical knowledge to operate one, let alone build one. Seriously, how many residences have a 300A+ service line? Anything over 300A in, and you need more than a panel. You need a current transformer.

And, with a short time of operating, you'll have the power company at your door installing a load demand meter, at your cost.

So, as I said, I'm sure there are more than a few ops running 1-4 kW. More than that? Highly unlikely.

rexgame

Drexel Hill, Upper Darby Twp, Delaware Co, Pennsyl
Seriously, how many residences have a 300A+ service line? Anything over 300A in, and you need more than a panel.

Lots and lots of farms have 400-600 amp service. Even unused farms, tiny little double wides on 10+ acres are common in south Jersey, and all of the outbuildings are powered, I usually see these elaborate rigs in the boondocks too. And anyone with a dock on a serious piece of water probably has 3-phase 440v, 500amp running to the shore power outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.