RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum - Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 1:02 PM

Default Handheld unit? (w/SSB?)

THe only handheld cb I found that had ssb was an "export" radio.
There don't seem to be many handhelds out there -- presumably due to crappy battery life - but for reasons that are not worth going into -- I need to find a decent handheld cb.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored links
Old 02-06-2012, 1:13 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I don't do CB anymore but I remember this from way back, and I believe it's still selling now:

Cherokee AH-100 SSB/AM Handheld cb radio
Old 02-06-2012, 6:55 PM

Thanks... Every time I find one of those, it's already sold, or they want a lot more than it's worth...
I keep lookin'.

-j
Old 09-28-2014, 9:29 PM

Default Handheld AM/SSB CB

Take a look at this if you're still looking for a handheld SSB CB:

Magnum 1012 Hand Held Export / CB Radio Review
Old 09-29-2014, 8:26 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Default SSB Handheld CB

Never saw one of those before,now I have to jump on the bandwagon and look myself. Thank you for posting the link.
Sponsored links
Old 09-29-2014, 8:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Magnum 1012

This radio has been around for quite awhile and is often listed as "out of stock" on the websight. I had a similar radio for 6 meters and it was very poor quality.
Old 10-14-2014, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspence View Post
This radio has been around for quite awhile and is often listed as "out of stock" on the websight. I had a similar radio for 6 meters and it was very poor quality.
Yes but if you read reviews on this particular model it is well spoken of in terms of it's versatility and modification ability.

Curious to know if anyone has had any experience with this one, or compared it with another or have experience with one which can be expounded upon.
Old 10-17-2014, 7:08 AM

Here are some more units that have AM/SSB capabilities. They're all pretty
much the same radio just different name.

I personally have the Titan RPSY and love it.

Albrecht AE201S

Cherokee AH-100

Dragon SS201

Eagle Spitfire 454

Titan Roadpro RPSY-201

Here is a link to a site with info on these radios

www.cbradio.nl: Picture and Specifications of the Titan Roadpro RPSY-201 Handheld Export Radio

FT-7100, DR-235, ADI AR-247, Lincoln II, Alinco DR-MO6,
DR-635T MKIII, MCS-2000 900 mhz, 3 BC780XLT, BCD436HP
Old 10-19-2014, 9:53 PM

There was another one many years ago that was crystal controlled. I don't remember if it was JIL, AOR or Mizuho. One of the companies better known for SWL products had 3 IIRC. A crystal controlled CB type accepted version and a 10M and 6M amateur version that had a little VFO where the channel selector was instead. I seen one of the 10M units, but only seen the CB in a catalog.
Old 10-20-2014, 1:24 AM

I actually used to have two of those Cherokee handhelds.

The AH100...
Pros: It worked
Cons... lots.... it worked, barely.

They also made a 6 meter radio (AH50) that looked just like it.
This radio actually worked and performed quite well, FM only.

I got them because they were different... I kept the AH50 for a long time and unloaded the AH100
probably 10 years ago.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:36 PM

In the last two days I saw record prices on a couple of handheld SSB CB/10m radios. A nice looking Magnum 1012 went for $225 buy it now and a Titan Roadpro RPSY-201 went for a whopping $380. These are both AM/FM/SSB hand held radios that do about 6w SSB and 4w AM.
prcguy
Old 03-09-2015, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
There was another one many years ago that was crystal controlled. I don't remember if it was JIL, AOR or Mizuho. One of the companies better known for SWL products had 3 IIRC. A crystal controlled CB type accepted version and a 10M and 6M amateur version that had a little VFO where the channel selector was instead. I seen one of the 10M units, but only seen the CB in a catalog.
I believe the radio you're thinking of was manufactured by Midland. One of our local CB shops (which went out of business 10+ years ago) used to have a three channel Midland crystal controlled unit in their display case for YEARS with a $1,000.00 (!) price tag on it. The tag boasted that the Midland was the "first SSB handheld". I've no idea if that's the truth or not, and I don't think the radio ever sold while the shop was in operation. 73, David.
Old 08-30-2015, 6:51 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good

Smile Midland Model 13-778 3 Channel SSB Portable

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaesu_dave View Post
I believe the radio you're thinking of was manufactured by Midland. One of our local CB shops (which went out of business 10+ years ago) used to have a three channel Midland crystal controlled unit in their display case for YEARS with a $1,000.00 (!) price tag on it. The tag boasted that the Midland was the "first SSB handheld". I've no idea if that's the truth or not, and I don't think the radio ever sold while the shop was in operation. 73, David.
It may not have been the first SSB capable portable CB radio that was produced but it was the first SSB capable portable CB radio to be FCC type accepted.

Woody's Radio Museum Photo's

Enjoy.
Old 04-19-2017, 2:20 PM

Default Range Comparison of Handhelds

It would be interesting to do a real comparison in a different scenarios (Desert, Beach, OpenWater, Forest, City and Suburbs), of the maximum range achieved by a pair of the most powerful handhelds using the best but still portable antennas in each band/frequency (without taking into consideration battery drainage for the purpose of this exercise) for example:

- ShortWave Below 10 Meters
Pair of Mizuhi radios like the MX-18S or MX-21S or similar HT's (Although I know these radios are for DXing and not for direct comms)

- 11-10 Meters
Pair of Cherokee or similar handheld SSB radios with portable telescopic or long whip antennae
Pair of HT's in FM modulation on this band (I think they are available in Europe)

- 6 Meters or VHF-Low
Pair of the most powerful portable HT's
Pair of HT's in SSB/AM modulation on this Band

-2 Maters and VHF - UHF (MURS, HAM, GMRS, FRS, other)
Pair of 5Watt, 7Watt and even 10Watt HT's
Pair of HT's in SSB/AM modulation on this Band

I understand that each frequency has its advantages vs the other for different scenarios, but it would be interesting which experimental pair of Ht's will outperform the other in different areas with actual non theoretical tests.
Old 04-21-2017, 7:43 AM

Yes, such a comparison test would be interesting. I'd like to see such side-by-side tests that show the efficacy of the legal 4-Watt CB vs various ham bands of various powers in mobile applications without the use of repeaters.
Old 04-23-2017, 1:37 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good

In Europe on SSB 12W are legal!
On PMR446 just 0,5W but the most people use some cheap Baofengs with 1W - 4W....
On VHF arent any Public Channels.