• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

linear question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky_Blue

I have a brand new Cobra model 29 LTD mobile CB Radio.
I found a Texas Star 400 watt linear on craigs list, and it's been modified for CB use.
I was wondering if it'll work with the new radio as is?
Someone told me that I needed to have internal adjustments/modifications done before adding a linear to it?
Is this information correct?
And yes, I do realize that linears are illegal

LtDoc

To start with, most of the CB amplifiers are designed to work with low power input, probably something like 4 or 5 watts. Most of the 'lore' about CB amplifiers is what you would normally spread on a garden, so keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that what you 'hear' about CB radios and amplifiers is 99.44% opinion, B.S., and advertising.
- 'Doc

(There's nothing 'magic' about any of this, it's dead nutz ordinary electronics/physics.)

In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
I have the same kicker the I can adjust the power output by turning a knob. If you have a radio that has been peaked and tuned which you probably do as nobody just goes and buy a CB anymore from a CB shop without this being done to it, then you may want to go back with your radio and the kicker and ask them to tune the two together for ya. They may just tell you where to set the power at on the radio so it will kick the linear to be used without burning up your new radio. Or they may add a switch to the side of the radio so you can either use the wattage of the radio if you don't want run the linear or lower the wattage of the radio to just the right amount of power to kick the linear. That will be left up to you to decide at the shop.
If you push to much power into the linear you will splatter your voice over the airways and that really sounds like crap. You want everything to work in unison and to the best of it ability and nobody should suspect that you are using the linear. That is if your not bleeding over tv's, cellphones and am & fm radios at red lights! However isn't that just part of the fun and excitement of running illegal?

JayMojave

Hello Ricky_Blue:

No that Linear Amp should work just fine with the stock radio, not needing any tune ups or mods.

But now you will need high current wiring (probably 8 or 6 guage wiring ) to the battery, a Antenna and Coax that can take all that power. Life becomes a little more complicated as the power increases.

To keep the amp happy and reliable, don't over drive it. Because the finial transistors and labor to replace them will be costly. And the linear amp being over driven will not help in getting out all that much. If the amp keys up and has a adjustable output I would run it at (ballpark) 50 watts dead key were it would sound pretty good. Having the amp dead key at say 100 watts it will try to make 400 watts PEP on the audio peaks, and probably won't make that. The difference between 50 watts and 100watts is only 3 dB or 1/2 of a S-Unit, NOT noticable for the stress put on the amp.

But the difference between say 4 watts and 50 watts is a significant increase in power giving you more transmit range. It is a 10+ dB imcrease in power and is again a siginificant increase in output power.

Good luck.

Jay in the Mojave

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have the same kicker the I can adjust the power output by turning a knob. If you have a radio that has been peaked and tuned which you probably do as nobody just goes and buy a CB anymore from a CB shop without this being done to it, then you may want to go back with your radio and the kicker and ask them to tune the two together for ya. They may just tell you where to set the power at on the radio so it will kick the linear to be used without burning up your new radio. Or they may add a switch to the side of the radio so you can either use the wattage of the radio if you don't want run the linear or lower the wattage of the radio to just the right amount of power to kick the linear. That will be left up to you to decide at the shop.
If you push to much power into the linear you will splatter your voice over the airways and that really sounds like crap. You want everything to work in unison and to the best of it ability and nobody should suspect that you are using the linear. That is if your not bleeding over tv's, cellphones and am & fm radios at red lights! However isn't that just part of the fun and excitement of running illegal?

"Whut's a kicker?" :lol:

...sorry I had to.

n9zas

reedeb

"Whut's a kicker?" :lol:

...sorry I had to.

n9zas

THIS
buttkick.gif
is a kicker!!

Ricky_Blue

I just wanted to say Thank You for all the replies! I did buy the texas star, The guy who sold it to me used to own his own CB Shop, The "Kicker" as you guys call it..(laughing) has been modified by the previous owner, He installed a 12 volt computer fan on top of the case to dissipate heat. I was going to use a Firestik II adjustable antenna, but I'm not sure if it can handle the power? it's rather 'iffy'..
About the term "Kicker": I have a pair of Kicker speakers in my car, and they are able to handle some serious power from the Harmon/Kardon amplifier that came from the factory. they sound really good, even in a convertible!

sloop

linear

ok...I get it...the mo power the mo better! Really, a good station (mobile or base) must have 3 things all working together efficiently. 1. power supply...in a mobile, direct to battery with filtering. When running power make sure that your battery can handle the extra amp strain. Base, make sure that your power supply once again can handle the amps required. 2. radio...you've got a good one, nuf said. 3. antenna...this is a must! A 1000 watts won't go as far as 5 if it feeds into a crappy antenna! Funny though, a lot of times "bigger is better" when it comes to antennas...just make sure it is rated for the power and well matched. Antenna tuners work wonders..I have talked to Kansas from NC on 2.5 watts 20 meters USB with a 59 signal report! Good luck on your setup.

In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
Someone told me that I needed to have internal adjustments/modifications done before adding a linear to it?

I thought this was the question wasn't it? Maybe I missed something. I didn't see anything about antenna, coax or how to power up the linear. Crazy how everyone looks into a forum question.Wait maybe someone should have mention an SWR meter to complicate the question even more.

WouffHong

Why Not?

I have a brand new Cobra model 29 LTD mobile CB Radio.
I found a Texas Star 400 watt linear on craigs list, and it's been modified for CB use.
And yes, I do realize that linears are illegal

A) Linears "Ain't" linear and splatter all over kingdom come, risking interference with Commercial, Fire, Police Air and other legal systems the FCC would like to fine you for.

B) It's on Craigs list - Ergo sum: BEWARE.. :evil:

da Wouff

K9WG

A) Linears "Ain't" linear and splatter all over kingdom come, risking interference with Commercial, Fire, Police Air and other legal systems the FCC would like to fine you for.

B) It's on Craigs list - Ergo sum: BEWARE.. :evil:

da Wouff

You might want to qualify statement A - A well designed amplifier will be linear, however 99.99% of "kickers" are not. I have seen 27MHz 100W CB amps splatter all the way up into the UHF range. I have also seen "peaked and tuned" CBs do the same thing.

WouffHong

still just advice

I don't see what the problem is with adding some of advice to the OP's question.

Why tempt fate??
FYI - this came out recently and reflects increasing actions:
Da Wouff

"ENFORCEMENT: FLORIDA CB OPERATOR ORDERED TO PAY A REDUCED
$450 FINE

The FCC has affirmed a reduced fine of $450 issued to a
Florida C B radio operator based only on his proven
inability to pay a much higher $10,000 Notice of Apparent
Liability to Monetary Forfeiture. In ordering Michael W.
Perry of Cross City to pay the reduced amount, the
commission turned away his claim that he was not using a non-
certified transmitter or an external power amplifier on the
11 meter band.

In its order, the FCC indicated that there was ample
physical evidence in this case and that the $10,000 fine was
being reduced solely based on Perry proving that the fine
would be a financial hardship on him. However it also
cautioned Perry that a party's inability to pay is only one
factor in its forfeiture calculation analysis. The FCC
stated that it has it has previously rejected inability to
pay claims in cases of repeated or otherwise egregious
violations. Therefore, future violations of this kind may
result in significantly higher forfeitures that may not be
reduced due to Perry's financial circumstances.

Perry was given the customary 30 days from the date that the
Forfeiture Order was affirmed to pay the $450. If he fails
to do so the matter could be turned over to the Department
of Justice for collection. (FCC)"

Last edited:

K9WG

And as the great commentator once said... "And now the rest of the story."

Notice of apparent liability for forfeiture AND ORDER

Adopted: November 1, 2011 Released: November 1, 2011

By the District Director, Tampa Office, South Central Region, Enforcement
Bureau:

I. Introduction

1. In this Notice of Apparent Liability for Forfeiture and Order ("NAL"),
we find that Michael W. Perry ("Mr. Perry") apparently willfully
violated section 301 of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended
("Act"), and sections 95.409 and 95.411 of the Commission's rules
("Rules"), by operating a radio transmitter without the requisite
Commission authorization. We conclude that Mr. Perry is apparently
liable for a forfeiture in the amount of ten thousand dollars
($10,000). In addition, no later than thirty (30) calendar days from
the date of this NAL, Mr. Perry must submit a statement signed under
penalty of perjury that he is no longer engaged in unlicensed radio
operations.

II. BACKGROUND

2. On March 31, 2011, in response to a complaint of interference, agents
from the Enforcement Bureau's Tampa Office ("Tampa Office"), used
direction-finding techniques to locate the source of the interference
to a signal on Citizens Band ("CB") channel 28 (on frequency 27.2850
MHz), emanating from Mr. Perry's residence. The same day, agents from
the Tampa Office inspected Mr. Perry's CB station, which he admitted
to using earlier that day. The agents observed a non-certificated CB
transmitter and three linear amplifiers as part of Mr. Perry's CB
station. Mr. Perry admitted to the agents that two of the three linear
amplifiers were capable of generating a power output of 200 watts and
1,500 watts, respectively, and that he had never tested the third. The
agents observed that the transmitter and two of the amplifiers were
warm to the touch, indicating that the devices had been recently
operated.

Just wonder what he was interfering with?

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Yes, you will need to have the CB radio modified (lower dead key) to work with the amp unless you want to blow up the linear amplifier. Some people recommend on setting the radio to the amp like for instance setting the lower dead key to 1 to a 3 watt dead key and let it work with the amp. To be honest I don't recommend on using a amp with the radio you will get fined by the FCC if you do get caught by the FCC.

reedeb

Yes, you will need to have the CB radio modified (lower dead key) to work with the amp unless you want to blow up the linear amplifier. Some people recommend on setting the radio to the amp like for instance setting the lower dead key to 1 to a 3 watt dead key and let it work with the amp. To be honest I don't recommend on using a amp with the radio you will get fined by the FCC if you do get caught by the FCC.

I agree 100%, BUT too many nimrods will do as they please and will face the consequences. I decided a short time ago just ignore the legalities of it and let THEM find out the hard way [MOST of em know it's illegal so I don't worry about em.] I learned to worry about ME!! Have a good day.

k3cfc

Silent Key
I agree 100%, BUT too many nimrods will do as they please and will face the consequences. I decided a short time ago just ignore the legalities of it and let THEM find out the hard way [MOST of em know it's illegal so I don't worry about em.] I learned to worry about ME!! Have a good day.

Some lessons in life are hard learned. this will be one of these lessons. now for some good advice. STUDY GET YOUR HAM TICKET. STUDY HARDER AND GET YOUR GENERAL THEN YOU GET A REAL RADIO AND AMP AND RUN 1500 WATTS LEGALLY.

reedeb

Some lessons in life are hard learned. this will be one of these lessons. now for some good advice. STUDY GET YOUR HAM TICKET. STUDY HARDER AND GET YOUR GENERAL THEN YOU GET A REAL RADIO AND AMP AND RUN 1500 WATTS LEGALLY.

LOL I stopped using CB back a while now. I'm an old tech nocode [need to study and upgrade someday]. I never had a linear,kicker,heater or whatever. I just used plain jane radio and a 102" steel whip antenna. Many dunderheads if I wasn't pushing it into the red for them 25 miles away would tell me I wasn't getting out. I chatted with a guy one night neither one was moving the needle but we could carry on a chat [as long as a dunderhead didn't key up over us]. come to find out he was almost 100 miles away from each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.