• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

IMAX 2000 Question ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMS-1

I have an IMAX 2000 fiberglass CB antenna that was taken off a tower almost 80 feet tall. I have discovered after getting it down the top (3rd) section is missing and had been apparently for a while. So my question is: How did they, or is it even possible to use/transmit on this antenna without the top section?. I would like to use it, but not until I know for sure it will work. Any ideas?.

LtDoc

If it were mine I wouldn't use it. If a third of it is missing then it's a fairly sure bet that it isn't going to be close to 'right'. Could it be used for transmitting? Yes it could, but not with any expectation of it being a good antenna, or even marginal. They ever put a meter on it? Then again, maybe that's why it's not still up on that tower.
- 'Doc

RevGary

Pastor and Chaplain Responder
The top section of an IMAX 2000 .64 wave antenna is 96.5 inches in length. IF you can find an Antron/Solarcon A-99 top section, which is 72 inches long, the chrome threaded portion is the same. By using an in-line antenna matcher to get the SWR that the radio sees down to less than 1.5 to 1, it will work fairly well that way. Of course, the best way to do the repair would be to get ahold of a new IMAX 2000 96.5 inch top section.

Did the top section fiberglass break off - leaving the chrome threaded portion inside the second section ?

SCPD

QRT
Imax2000

I would look at truck stops for a fiberglass whip 6ft. long. Not a firestick with wire around it under the plastic. I had a A99 with the same problem it came down in a storm and broke the top section . I found a white fiberglass antenna at a truckstop and it worked great after that.

ill41

I had a I-Max 2000and the top broke off.I replaced it with a 102" stainless steel whip.The SWR's were completely flat on the band.The noise level was also quiter with this set-up.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Oh dear, here we go again with a load of misinformation!

Bottom section: 80 inches
Middle section: 94 inches
Top section: 96.5 inches
That makes the total radiating element length 270.5 inches.

Take it from someone who dissected one and examined the guts, he knows what he's talking about.
The Imax 2000 EXPOSED!

Getting straight to the answer, the missing section is 96.5" and no substitute will work properly. What tends to be most misunderstood is a short fiberglass mobile CB antenna is electrically a quarter wave or 102" which would make the entire antenna too long. To keep it short and simple, the end result would be an impedance mismatch and high SWR.

"Oh, SWR doesn't matter on receive." There's much more to this than SWR alone but a course in antenna theory we don't need here, just take my word, it won't work as intended.

kb2vxa

Banned
Go back and re-read the last line of my post above.

"There is no performance gain or loss."

I have to laugh, no way did he take field measurements at an antenna test range with proper instrumentation or analysis so how does he substantiate that statement? QRZ is more than a joke, it's a laugh factory. I stand by my statement because a .64 wavelength antenna's (or any other) vertical radiation pattern which determines gain will change considerably when wavelength is increased.

LtDoc

Sorry, but there are so many 'half-truths'/goofs in that "Exposed" article that if you don't know what you are talking about, it's just not very informative/truthful. Comparing 'dBi' and dBd' is just one of them, there is no direct comparison.
TOAs or take off angles. Only low ones are useful/desirable? Just not so. High ones are always wasted? Also just not so. How do you know which ones you should have? You can't know, at least not without equipment/information even the antenna test ranges don't usually have. Generalities are never more than 50% accurate at best. What's exposed most in most "Exposed" type articles is the bias of the author. That's the case with this one too...
- 'Doc

kb2vxa

Banned
"This could also be stated as 0.8 dBd gain."

I see you misunderstood the author's statement, nowhere did he make any comparison of dBi to dBd, rather he said they could be stated two ways. I'm sure you know manufacturers use the dBi mathematical construct rather than the dipole (dBd) real world standard to inflate the figures.

Let's not get picky here, generally speaking putting more signal to the radio horizon is most desirable, we're not talking space communications here, this is CB. I don't see any bias by the author for the above reason. Anyway, I never intended for a technical discussion that surely would go over the heads of most users of this board, casual listeners haven't the need for such.

kb2vxa

Banned
May as well, the Imax wouldn't be all that much of an improvement. What I haven't mentioned until now having been in an electrical entanglement is the top section is missing for a good reason. Look at how long it is altogether, an unsupported, whopping 22 1/2 feet! All well and good for a flagpole which is a larger diameter and much stronger, the wind just ate it for breakfast.

Before you scrap it you may consider another use for it. Beating dead horses is a popular sport around here. (;->)

swen_out_west

I had a I-Max 2000and the top broke off.I replaced it with a 102" stainless steel whip.The SWR's were completely flat on the band.The noise level was also quiter with this set-up.

Sorry to resurrect this 5 year old thread, but I have the same issue. Not sure if this member is even still around or not.

Has anyone tried this and how did it hold up?

I am going to try to contact Solarcon and see if it's possible to purchase just the top section.

My IMax 2000 worked good for me, so let's try to keep the negative comments regarding an IMax 2000 to a minimum.

If not I have a brand new Penetrator 500 I am putting up anyways, in fact we wouldn't have broke it if I had kept it up. I just would like to repair it as a secondary.backup antenna.

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
ill41 said:
I had a I-Max 2000 and the top broke off.I replaced it with a 102" stainless steel whip.The SWR's were completely flat on the band.The noise level was also quiter with this set-up.
Thank you..... My top part of my IMAX came down also in a wind storm one day (The whip)

Good luck swen_out_west and EMS-1 I hope you have a new setup by now :)

swen_out_west

Guys. Just to let you know. There's a 5 year gap from when I resurrected this thread the other night and it looks like most of the people are not active users anymore.

The answer to SpaceMann is by the time I found the number and tried calling on Friday it was too late .

As for Dude111 I have a 102" whip on the way from Amazon Prime and will be here Tuesday Morning. I am actually going to try the fix next weekend and get back to you. Going to start with not trimming it and seeing what it reads on my meter, since I would still like to have a 102" whip, but anything obver 1.25 is going to get trimmed. Actually looking to test to see how much static it drops. Considering that I live right by a major high line going to the next city 60 miles north, a large transformer sub station, and a Tesla Charging Station I get alot of static.

But I did jump the gun. The way it whipped into the ground shattered the top one foot. I taped it up and stuck it up 20 feet. It doesn't have 1.02 VSWR anymore, but I'll take 1.2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.