• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Poll question on cb

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackHawkH60

Premium Subscriber
I have been looking at classified ad's, for CB'S. Back in the day when I couldn't rub 2 nickels together to buy a good CB like Browning ect. now I see everything I ever wanted with in my reason. But, do I even bother to buy these radio's or let it go to someone else. I don't collect em unless I will use em........what do you think pass or play is the POLL QUESTION?............. IS GETTING INTO CB WORTH IT?

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
As you posted,

"...I don't collect em unless I will use em.", then buy new. It will have a warranty with it or exchange policy if you want a different one. The old ones are nice for many of us ol' timers, but they many times have problems with 'em; that problem is called the "golden screwdriver" touched, ie. some one tweaked and peaked.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have been looking at classified ad's, for CB'S. Back in the day when I couldn't rub 2 nickels together to buy a good CB like Browning ect. now I see everything I ever wanted with in my reason. But, do I even bother to buy these radio's or let it go to someone else. I don't collect em unless I will use em........what do you think pass or play is the POLL QUESTION?............. IS GETTING INTO CB WORTH IT?

NO. ;)

n9zas

Boombox

My answer would be a qualified yes, if you have some local friends who are also into CB, or if you get into sideband.

reedeb

My answer would be a qualified yes, if you have some local friends who are also into CB, or if you get into sideband.

Quailfied?? 1st post??

As it has been pointed out these older radios [while having collector status] may have been worked on and messed up. :(

Get a new one with warrenty and THEn if you have problems it can be repaired. do agree get one with Sideband as you will have fun with it as well.;)

gewecke

Banned
Love the to the point .............NO

Well yeah, we could discuss the pro's and cons of the wasteland called cb, but obviously since I'm a little biased, I would attempt to steer you toward amateur radio, GMRS or at least MURS. :D

n9zas

Boombox

kb2vxa

Banned
If you're serious about radio communications NO, we could use more like you on the ham bands. If you're a whack job YES, while they don't need your kind on CB at least you'll stay out of our hair.

rmosier

I didn't read any of the previous posts because I know what they're going to say. While HAM is the way to go, it's still a good idea to keep a working CB. Why? CB is full of tards because it requires no license. The same reason makes it valuable. It reaches the "every man". Ham is good because it offers a more civilized community. CB is useful because you can reach those who never bothered to take the test to become a Ham. Those people could be valuable in an emergency. And the cost is minimal.

Allan_Love_Jr

I didn't read any of the previous posts because I know what they're going to say. While HAM is the way to go, it's still a good idea to keep a working CB. Why? CB is full of tards because it requires no license. The same reason makes it valuable. It reaches the "every man". Ham is good because it offers a more civilized community. CB is useful because you can reach those who never bothered to take the test to become a Ham. Those people could be valuable in an emergency. And the cost is minimal.
Well just because you call the CB "Invaluable" doesn't mean that there always trouble makers over the air band. As a matter of fact. The CB has gotten a lot quieter over the years. The CB has gone through major changes. It is not what it use to be. At least not two users can now talk to each other and not get interrupted over the air. Ham people think there so damn perfect. There not. I have heard some of the crap they talk about over the radio. And it isn't good. Ham is controlled by the Government by the FCC. CB isn't. Yet law enforcement do in fact still in force the CB law.

KF4ZTO

CB is useful for some practical purposes (if you spend a lot of time driving, for example) but as far as radio experimentation goes its more or less a dead end. SSB CB is fun from time to time but that's where the line blurs between ham radio and CB radio (I know some will disagree with me, but hey, listen to 27.385 LSB and then listen to 14.313 USB and tell me which sounds more professional).

If you want to really get into radio, get your ham license.

That being said, whenever I go on road trips, I throw a CB in the car, its more practical and more useful than ham gear for that purpose. If you're out in the country, its good for personal communications...but if you're in the city its more or less useless for that purpose.

It's got its place, but there are other radio services out there - just depends on what you're trying to do.

kb2vxa

Banned
"Ham? LOL LMFAO........ Ha. Ham. LOL"
Interesting, considering what that acronym means now you're funny looking but better off without it. (;->)
"Ham people think there so damn perfect. There not."
People who can't spell they're shouldn't criticise others.

"...it's still a good idea to keep a working CB. Why? CB is full of tards because it requires no license. The same reason makes it valuable. ... Those people could be valuable in an emergency."
You CAN'T be serious! A good idea talking to a bunch of "tards", hmmm. CB is valuable because it's "full of tards". What's so valuable about a bunch of tards? Tards are valuable in an emergency?
"And the cost is minimal."
Maybe you think so, I tend to believe losing my mind is extremely costly, I value sanity.

Just one thing to add:
"Ham is controlled by the Government by the FCC. CB isn't."
That's what the renegades who were fined thousands and had their equipment confiscated thought.

gewecke

Banned
"Ham? LOL LMFAO........ Ha. Ham. LOL"
Interesting, considering what that acronym means now you're funny looking but better off without it. (;->)
"Ham people think there so damn perfect. There not."
People who can't spell they're shouldn't criticise others.

"...it's still a good idea to keep a working CB. Why? CB is full of tards because it requires no license. The same reason makes it valuable. ... Those people could be valuable in an emergency."
You CAN'T be serious! A good idea talking to a bunch of "tards", hmmm. CB is valuable because it's "full of tards". What's so valuable about a bunch of tards? Tards are valuable in an emergency?
"And the cost is minimal."
Maybe you think so, I tend to believe losing my mind is extremely costly, I value sanity.

Just one thing to add:
"Ham is controlled by the Government by the FCC. CB isn't."
That's what the renegades who were fined thousands and had their equipment confiscated thought.

Good point warren, but then that's why some of us are licensed and some may never be. ;)

n9zas

kb2vxa

Banned
And if you say to me tomorrow, oh what fun it all would be.
Then what's to stop us, the FCC.
But What Is Licensed And What Should Never Be.

Last edited:

MeddleMan

Ugh!

Just choose for yourself what you want to do. CB or Ham Radio. You could reinvent yourself in either places and find friends in both. You may never run in to any of us, except here. I do both, and more.

BlackHawkH60

Premium Subscriber
Just choose for yourself what you want to do. CB or Ham Radio. You could reinvent yourself in either places and find friends in both. You may never run in to any of us, except here. I do both, and more.

Pretty good answer. As they all have been. Everyone has an opinion that I respect. This is why I posted this question thankx.......Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.