• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB Radio question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RF-Burns

90% of Police Departments do not even monitor CB any more. Some state police and highway patrol have them in their cars but 90% of the time they are off.

AC9BX

Law enforcement at any level almost never monitors the CB band, at least here in the USofA. I would guess most any CB set you have that works SSB also works AM. So if you needed to contact authorities or otherwise make a distress call you could and should just switch to AM since most individuals that might be listening are using AM. Now if you're thinking of doing something you aren't supposed to be doing and thinking SSB is more "secure" than AM it is in the sense it is less popular.

elk2370bruce

Unfortunately, there has been (for many years) no regulation of CB and it has often become a sewer of trash talk, kiddies, and wise guys. Cops just shook their heads years ago and just trashed monitoring the CB channels. When they did monitor, the national emergency channel 9 was what they used to monitor but (largely) "Not No Mo!"

sdeeter19555

While they might not have a dedicated CB in their car, a lot of LEO still have the capability to monitor and respond on at least Channel 9 and 19. I have talked to LEO in several states traveling around the country for one thing or another...usually you call 9-1-1, then the troopers talk to you when they get closer. I found a lot of the western state's LEOs still have them to talk to truck drivers when the weather gets bad.

I know of one LEO in western Ohio that used his to nail truck drivers...when you brag how fast you're going, you never know who is listening.

TrevDog

CHP Commercial Vehicle Enforcement units (white CV's- soon to be Explorers- and the black and white pickups) have CB's. No idea whether or not they monitor them, though. Other agencies are sporadic- some LEO's install them in their take homes and what not.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Filth and crap

Any LEO must be deaf or really likes to hear all the filth and crap on most CB frequencies, especially 19.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There was a local dispatch center that had a CB in it a few years back. Every time I went in there it was turned off.
Dispatchers and Officers have enough stuff to do without listening in to idle CB chatter. Channel 9 is a joke.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

It's going to vary widely across the country. Some Highway Patrol officers/State Troopers and some County Sheriff's deputies may have a CB installed in their vehicle if they want it. Others will not.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

I'm listening to AZDOT work a bad accident on I-10 west of Phoenix on their trunked system the past several hours, and they've mentioned using a CB to tell the truckers what the detour route is.

Scanner_Rider

A few county sheriff deputies and state troopers around here are known to access the CB band during power blackouts to have contact with truckers and those of us who fall back to using our CB radios for household to household communications as landline and cell phones begin to fail.

As far as full time LEO monitoring of the CB band, that started declining in the early as 1980s as interstate highway speed limits increasedand by the 1990s and the increase in cellular use CB monitoring by LEO ended as a regular practice.

dragonheart81

cb signal boost

how do I go about get more signal so that I can get to other states in general? I'm not sure if that is signal or if it is a power booster that I am wanting can someone please help me with this. I have used cb's before but this is the first time I am trying to reach other states out of florida so i'm not sure what to do

xxdanielt3

Premium Subscriber
how do I go about get more signal so that I can get to other states in general? I'm not sure if that is signal or if it is a power booster that I am wanting can someone please help me with this. I have used cb's before but this is the first time I am trying to reach other states out of florida so i'm not sure what to do

An amplifier on the 11 meter band is illegal.. try making sure you have a nice antenna.. and just wait til skip starts rolling.. that's your best bet for DX'ing.

Status
Not open for further replies.