• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

DSP External Speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayMojave

Hello All:

I have installed a West Mountain DSP External Speaker in my Pick-up Truck, and it works great!

The DSP (Digital Signal Processor) External Speaker goes for $219.oo American, but works quit well. Allowing me to hear far off stations normally heard with noise and such. Driving around near gas stations or intersections sometimes power line noise can be heard in the radio without the DSP External Speaker on, now with the DSP External Speaker on this noise is well attenuated, allowing some of the far away stations to be heard. This works well on my S9 Magnum Radio and HF Ham Radio in the Truck.

Anybody else use one?

Heres the West Mountain web site.

West Mountain Radio - Audio Ware

Jay in the Mojave

sloop

Jay, you're right. DSP works, but for the price I would buy a new Corba. Cobra has incorporated this technology into many of its radios, they call it 'Sound Tracker". I am wondering what type of HF ham rig you have since most (not all) of the newer ones come with DSP.

JayMojave

Hello Sloop: I didn't know that the cobra "Sound Tracker" was DSP, is it?

What is Sound Tracker?

The cost is yeah a little steep, for the DSP External Speaker, but what does a few dB of increased signal to noise ratio worth, that really works.

The Ham rig I have is Yazu 757 GTXII, a older radio, no audio or IF DSP. Its mostly used to listen in and around the bands.

Jay in the Mojave

sloop

Cobra Soundtracker technology is advertised by Cobra as DSP technology for CBs. It is available on the 25 and 29 nightwatch models. The only problem is that there is a set 'limit' on the processing levels with the Cobras where with the speakers you can vary the amount of processing. The HF rig you have was/is a good rig...and will last a long time if taken care of.

JayMojave

Hello Warren: Yeah I looked around at the Cobra Sound Tracker stuff.

This is what I was reading from the CB guys about it.

What's the verdict on Cobra's SoundTracker tech? [Archive] - Mauldroppers CB Radio Forum

I think I will try to contact the Cobra Co and get what they say. I didn't know "Sound Tracker" was both a transmit and recive function, per the Cobra web site there. I don't see how a inexpensive circuit put in a radio could come near the noise canceling and increased signal to ratio, the DSP Speaker gives.

Happy New Year

Jay in the Mojave

LtDoc

Don't confuse that 'SoundTracker' thingy with DSP, it isn't the same thing by any means. It amounts to transmitted signal processing. It changes the relationship between a transmitted signal's strength and the ambient noise of the frequency in use. And as 'they' say in their explanation, it isn't fool-proof by any means.
DSP comes in two 'versions, audio and RF. If you have the choice (and can afford it) the 'RF' version is preferred, it 'works' better. The audio DSP works too. The 'trick' with either of them is -moderation-! It can be over done until the results are completely not understandable. Another 'problem' with DSP is that it's never 'real-time', it always means a delay in what you hear. That delay isn't much at all, and doesn't amount to anything in most cases, but it certainly can be a problem.
- 'Doc

JayMojave

Hello Doc: Yeah good call there, I called Cobra In Ill and talked to a customer Rep, they agreed that the Sound Talker was NOT DSP. And from popular consists the Sound Tracker isn't a popular oprion.

The ever so slight delay and yes there is some audio distortion in the DSP External Speaker audio, but not enogh to care about.

But the difference is a significant increase in the signal to noise ratio, meaning stations once in the noise can be heard quit well. The analogy of this DSP External Speaker is like having your antenna leaning up next the house, and then having it at 50 Feet high. Or that old girlfriend you liked, calling you and asking out for a date. Or raising that new hot beam antenna on the tower, and not connecting the coax (did it once), then connecting it up, man what a difference.

This DSP External Speaker also has a 10 watt audio amp in it, and its plenty loud. I compared it to the Motorola 12 watt speakers, and its neck and neck for audio power.

Oh by the way I don't work for West Mointain Radio, I work for old, penny pinchening, hard to deal wirh, self centered, unshaven, penney wise and dollar foolish, hilter type, Formen. A Great guy!

Jay in the Mojave

jay_camaro1

Premium Subscriber
i just ordered one of there Noise Reduction Processors,, cant wait to try it out, and they are in wisconsin too shipping should be fast.

jay_camaro1

Premium Subscriber
got it all hooked up last night, then of course there were no locals or dx happening,, did listen to a couple truckers for about 2 min and i can say it really cuts out the static, id say probly 50-60% reduction when the knob is in the 10-12 oclock position on am. it makes the am static sound like ssb static,, then in ssb mode with min static to start with it almost cuts it right off, to a very minimal level.. hopefully there will be some local talk tonight

jay

jay_camaro1

Premium Subscriber
just playing with this unit talking to a guy on sideband, wow does it work great, it cuts out so much of the static and brings out the actual speech so much. i was able to turn up the volume and just here his audio clean and clear, i then turned it off and his voice was 1/2 covered in static/noise

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Squelch Full Counterclockwise

When I roll on the road, I generally keep the RF gain on maximum while twisting the squelch all the way to the left. If I engage the squelch function, turning until the background noise goes silent, I can no longer hear distant transmissions.

Will a DSP speaker help in this type of situation?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.