• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

my luck sucks Solarcon Antron 99

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd2goe

i just got a NEW Solarcon Antron 99 Base Antenna and it has a dead short. here i am all excited and not i have to wate a week for the replacment...

i should have paid attention to all the bad reviews

kd2goe

Doh i guess i jumped to conclusions

i guess i need to E-mail some one never mined i am good lol OPPS!

you can see the circuit diagram and it has a matching coil that is what i was reading

Last edited:

KD5SPJ

I will say this about the A99.

I have owned four of them and will never buy another. I had my first one actually made by Solarcon, and it lasted about 4 years and worked pretty well on a 12ft mast, on the roof of my then 2 story house in the city way up by the foothills at about 6000ft above sea level. It went dead one night while I happened to be monitoring my SWR.

I bought a new one and it was dead out of the box. A zillion to one SWR. Took it back, got a new one and it wasn't even a Solarcon anymore, made by Workman, and it lasted maybe three months. I got it replaced and the4 new one lasted ALMOST a year before the zillion to one SWR came back. I replaced it and the one I have now is a back up to my Starduster that has been great since 1974~!

The A99 has a problem with getting battered by the wind.

kd2goe

the one i got printed Solarcon all over it..? any way i hope it works out for me for a few years... i am going to hit it with some fiberglass boat paint..

I got mine on a 20' flag pole and there is no way i am putting any antenna on my roof its not going to happen

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
I used to have an Amtron 99 (I think it was an original one,NOT SOLARCON) -- It performed well for many years.......

Then i got an IMAX 2000 and shortly after i sort of lost interest,etc........ (Which now are no more either,they are owned by I think solarcon as well??)

Im sorry you had problems buddy,i hope when your new one comes ITS OK :)

kd2goe

I used to have an Amtron 99 (I think it was an original one,NOT SOLARCON) -- It performed well for many years.......

Then i got an IMAX 2000 and shortly after i sort of lost interest,etc........ (Which now are no more either,they are owned by I think solarcon as well??)

Im sorry you had problems buddy,i hope when your new one comes ITS OK :)

o no every thing is fine the antenna was fine i didint know there was a coil in there that will show a DC short. :D

shortride

Premium Subscriber
An Antron 99 is a decent antenna but I don't like them mainly because there is only a small thin wire in them. The fiberglass only make them hold up to the wind better. An aluminum is a better performing antenna than an Antron hands down.

kd2goe

An Antron 99 is a decent antenna but I don't like them mainly because there is only a small thin wire in them. The fiberglass only make them hold up to the wind better. An aluminum is a better performing antenna than an Antron hands down.

I agree 100% but weight was a huge factor if I ever get the balls to get on my roof.
or money to pay some one to install it ill get a top quality antenna.

k3cfc

Silent Key
I put an Antron on my chimney in june 1985 and other then replacing the coax about four times due to age it works very well today with a 1.3-1 swr. i put rtv black where the end caps are glued on and where the antenna is screwed together. no water inside makes for a happy antenna.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I don't have a Antron 99, but am sure if you take care of your antennas they will last long enough.

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
pjtnascar said:
My Antron 99 has been alive and well for about 15 years. The fiberglass is splintering, but it still performs well. Got my $$$ worth!
Wow 15 years??

Good for you......... I hope she continues to shine for ya :)

KD5SPJ

The last one I bought still works and that in itself is astoinding. This is because I had it up for about 4 months before I put my Starduster back up. When I took the A99 down, I never planned to use it again but did put it in a holder along my fence off the ground. I went out one winter day after a 3ft snow fall and it was gone. I wondered what happened, till I found it in the spring on the ground right under where I had it stored. It had fallen off and got snowed on. It stayed under the snow so I thought it was toast. I left it right there for three years since it was out of the way. I put it back up weeks ago to test it and it still works! I use it for radio testing so I don't have to unhook my Starduster.

CapnJon

I bought my antron in the early 90's. Its still up. I replaced the tip with a SS 9' whip. I use my antenna tuner inline. best thing I did to switch out the fiberglas at the end. I also run 9 foot ss whips on the ground plan kit. Still in the air after all these years. I've moved twice since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.