• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mounting an Imax2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All, just looking for input on how to mount an Imax2000. I am wanting to mount the mast in the ground, with cement possibly, if necessary. Looking for some advice.

Thanks

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
What kind of input are you looking for? Basic stuff or advanced stuff?

Most likely the basic stuff, but I will take all the advise I can get. First off, what would be the best type of material for a mast, and any tips or tricks on getting it up.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Well for my antenna setups I used 10-1/2 foot 17 gauge steel top rail, I u-bolted and clamped 2 together and put them on fence poles. So I have three setups like that.

These are the ones I used.

YARDGARD 10-1/2 ft. 17-Gauge Steel Top Rail for Chain-Link Fence-328913DPT at The Home Depot

Now you could put them into the ground with cement, you could use Quikrete cement. Now how would you want your antenna setup? Free standing in the ground? Or in the ground and bracketed to the house?

LtDoc

What you mount your antenna on, mast/pole/tower/etc, depends on weather in most cases. It has to be strong enough to withstand the common wind etc, and not get blown over, you know? Typically, bigger is better till it get's ridiculous. Over doing is always cheaper/safer than re-doing.
Like others, I use some fence top-rail for masts. I limit it to two sections, about twenty feet, cuz' I'm too lazy to do it 'right' (guying etc.). It's not the best way in the world but it's okay for my particular situation.
It's a matter of what you may have on hand or can get rea$onably, and what you are 'allowed' to do by whoever/whatever.
- 'Doc

WA2E

I'd be leery of using 20 ft of top rail with a 24' antenna unless you guy the mast. I believe the Imax will accommodate a 2" mast or perhaps 2 1/8"?

LtDoc

Oh, but I don't have a 24 foot antenna on top is that fence rail. That'd be a bit 'much', I agree.
- 'Doc

If I were to go with a 10ft post as a mast, would I be able to transmit and receive decently? I do have a lot of trees though.

WA2E

As always the higher the better especially for ground wave. Might work a bit better than parking your mobile in the same location. You didn't describe your situation. No way to mount it high on the house? I use an A-99 with the top section trimmed for 10M. It's mounted on a 2" mast attached to a 3" vent pipe that's 6' tall which places the bottom of the antenna 36' above ground. Works well for local groups and decent for DX too.

Just some food for thought.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.