• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looking for a portable CB and NMO mount CB Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve0827

Premium Subscriber
As the title states, I'm looking for a portable CB radio to use in my car, and an NMO mount antenna for it. Does any one have any suggestions? I'm not sure how much a decent CB radio will go for....

Thanks in advance,
Stephen

steve0827

Premium Subscriber
I forgot to mention that I'd like one that could use a BNC connection.....not sure if that's possible, I know absolutely nothing about CB radios.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Larsen NMO27. Accept no substitutes.

Order the NMO mount from any of the online vendors with the BNC already attached. You'll need to adapt that to whatever the CB has for an external antenna connection. While portable CB's seem useful, they are often poor performers. If you can do it, just use a mobile CB and put a cigarette lighter plug on the power lead. While the cigarette lighter can be a source of RF noise on some vehicles, it may still be a be better choice.
The louder speaker and hand held microphone will make it a better solution for mobile use. If you really do need a hand held CB, keep in mind that the NMO mount antenna will need a metal ground plane under it to work properly. The stock antennas that come with the portable CB's are about as inefficient as you can get and still call it an antenna.

steve0827

Premium Subscriber
Oops, that's what I meant a mobile CB. Do you have any recommendations for one of those?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
No. I have not used a CB in years. In this area it's pretty much unusable. With a young son, I don't dare have one within earshot of him.
Back, 10 years or so ago, I did use CB's and I I think I had a very basic Uniden. Whatever it was, it worked good enough. What anyone who knows what they are talking about will tell you is that the antenna and feedline are the most important part of the radio system. You could spend thousands on a radio, but if you cut corners on your antenna, it's all for naught. So, my recommendation is to get a name brand radio that has the features you need, take the cost of that radio, and figure on adding another $50 at least for a good antenna (Larsen NMO27), NMO mount and proper installation.

There are certainly others out antennas out there that will work, and everyone has their favorite. I grew tired of the consumer grade antennas that are sold for CB and went with a commercial design. The performance is better, but the quality and lifespan will more than make up for any additional costs. Remember that antennas are ruled by the laws of physics, and no manufacturer can ignore those laws. Skip the cute CB antennas, novelties and false claims and go for an antenna made by a company that understands them. Larsen, Antennex, Comtelco, Laird, and a few other brands make the real mobile stuff. Stick with them.

n5ims

I forgot to mention that I'd like one that could use a BNC connection.....not sure if that's possible, I know absolutely nothing about CB radios.

Oops, that's what I meant a mobile CB. Do you have any recommendations for one of those?

One thing to think about is that most (perhaps all?) mobile CBs use a "UHF" connector (PL-259 on the cable, SO-239 on the radio) for their antenna so for best results, you should have a PL-259 on your NMO mount, not a BNC. That will save you an adapter that may add loss (as in less signal on both receive and transmit and even as in "where did that #$%@ adapter run off to) and will make the antenna connection take up more room.

If you're planning to have the mount do double duty (today it's a CB connection, tomorrow it's on your scanner) that may factor into your decision on what type of connector should be used. In that case, have the connector whichever is most important and use the adapter for the less important mode. This may also necessitate more than one antenna to swap out as necessary (e.g. the NMO-27 while using the CB and the Larsen NMO-150/450/800 Tri-band when using the scanner).

nonperson

The new Unidens look promising like the 980s. If I got the model right it will have SSB (Single Side Band) and will give something a little more to play with if you grow to like two radios as a hobby.

If you have room for one, Galaxy makes some decent radios also. They have some that are smaller than others but most tend to be relative big for a car. FOr reviews and features of CB radios check out CB Radio Magazine on the net and You Tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.