• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cobra 29 LX

Status
Not open for further replies.

daneg

So I got a new Cobra 29 LX on the way, it's free so I figured I'd take it.

Question for anyone, how can I mount this in a 2011 ford focus? Not much space to put it. I was thinking on the side of the console on the passenger side with some heavy duty velcro (whatever the white/clear plastic snap in velcro is) I used it before to mouth a scanner remote head to the top of the windshield so I figure it would work that way. I don't really want to drill, and want it easily accessible.

Any tips for mounting it?

Also, I can't directly connect it to the battery, so I have to go pick up an adapter to use the cig lighter.

JayMojave

Hello daneg:
Yeah I have also mounted control heads with Velcro but not a hole radio. But worth a try I'd say.

Powering the radio from the cig lighter can add noise to the radio. Noise from the ignition, fuel pump, engine module, and other things. But in some cars its not a problem as the wire roughing and connection is different. I don't like to use the cig lighter as the cheaper adapters don't always seat in there good and fall out as your driving. Also the radios have a pretty good DC Power Input filter circuit that cleans up the power pretty well.

So it comes down to a crapp shoot if your going to get noise from the cig lighter. Probably not.

Drilling a hole in the cars firewall or even better finding a existing rubber grommet that can handle a few extra wires is the way to go. In my car I found a large rubber grommet that only had a couple of wires in it, I opened the grommet up and installed power wires from the battery form my ham, CB, and scanner radios. At one time I had 4 radios on the dash of the car, it was more stuff to handle when driving, so I took a couple out of the car. But it was fun to listen in to all the goings on.

Good luck

Jay in the Mojave

KK4HBW

So I got a new Cobra 29 LX on the way, it's free so I figured I'd take it.

Question for anyone, how can I mount this in a 2011 ford focus? Not much space to put it. I was thinking on the side of the console on the passenger side with some heavy duty velcro (whatever the white/clear plastic snap in velcro is) I used it before to mouth a scanner remote head to the top of the windshield so I figure it would work that way. I don't really want to drill, and want it easily accessible.

I've experimented with velcro. The problem I always had was that the adhesive weakens in the heat and falls off of dashboard/interior plastic. That stuff sticks to glass a lot better than the course plastics used in vehicle interiors. I might use it for a small, light microphone, but no matter what you hang from the velcro, you will probably have to take it off in excessive heat or it'll fall off.

Any tips for mounting it?

I've never been happier since I've drilled into the plastic and metal and screwed or bolted the pieces on. Worst case, if you think it'll affect resale or trade-in value that much, buy a replacement panel or get creative and mount some decoration or accessory over the holes if/when you sell it. If the holes are underneath, then you may not even be able to notice them without your head on the floor.

As for the mounting location, you might ask yourself how you will be using the radio. If it's always going to be on channel 19 (save for very few exceptional circumstances), you could mount the radio in a less accessible location, such as under or behind a seat or even in the trunk. Then run the mic to the dash (with an extension cable if necessary), and even add an external speaker (approx. 4"x4"x2") to mount under the dash where you originally thought you'd put the radio. Heck, you might even be able to wire-in an external frequency counter and mount that to the dash, too, so you can see what channel you're on without seeing the radio and reach under the seat to change the channel. The only problem with an out of the way mount, such as under the seat, could be cooling, but that shouldn't be an issue if you're not going to have many long-winded transmissions.

If you have to be able to see it and modify the settings while you're sitting in the driver's seat, then good luck finding a good and out of the way spot in that compact car. How about the ceiling? I highly recommend that you permanently mount it and do not use velcro, no matter where you put it. The radio could also come loose in an accident. Furthermore, your auto-insurance will probably cover the radio and antenna (for theft/damage replacement or for liability of any damage they may cause) only if you permanently attach them to the vehicle.

Even though the Cobra 29 is free to you, perhaps you would be happier if you sold the free radio and used the money to buy something like the Cobra 75 WX ST. Midland, I think, also makes one like that, but it's a portable that can be converted to a mobile. I personally have a Maxon MCB-10A of that same compact style, but they don't make it anymore. I ordered it from a catalog some time in the 90's. It works great.

Also, I can't directly connect it to the battery, so I have to go pick up an adapter to use the cig lighter.

Why can't you connect it to the battery?

If you use the 12V accessory/cig. lighter plug you will most likely receive noise from the vehicle, and possibly also introduce "noise" to your transmissions.

Before using the 12V accessory outlet, see what gauge wire they're using in that outlet. I bet it's pretty thin stuff and, while a legal and typical CB radio doesn't use too much power, you might be meeting or exceeding the wire's limits with a Cobra 29 LX. Accessories in those cig. outlets do catch fire from time to time, whether or not you're running much power through them.

Read Ford's own Mobile Radio Installation Guidelines:
http://www.fordemc.com/docs/download/Mobile_Radio_Guide.pdf
(other manufacturers' guides may also be helpful)

If you take the time to drill, grommet/seal, fuse, and wire the radio directly to the battery, you will be much happier (and safer) in the long run. For insurance purposes, and piece of mind, and the personal satisfaction of having done the job right, you're better off with a "permanent" mind-set than you are with a "just make it work" mind-set.

By the way, what do you plan to use for your antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.