RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum - Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 9:00 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post
I really do want to get out of this neighborhood so that I can put an A99 or Imax2000 up on a pole.
You can hide one in a flag pole. By Federal Law they can't stop a FLAG POLE. And if it has a antenna in it? Oh well! But an A-99 inside some PVC with some bury flex coax and a little flag should work.
Sponsored links
Old 08-31-2013, 9:05 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default CB base station antenna tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFD22 View Post
Yeah, both are great for about $100. What about a Flag Pole Antenna? I know the HAM License allows you to put up antennas even if the "gated" communities say no. At least in our area that's how it is.
Our HOA is such a joke. Cars parked on the street, satellite dishes on the fronts of houses, boats/trailers in yards or on the street, etc. If there is a rule in the book someone is breaking it right now. They couldn't tell me no at this point. It's that we are on less than a 1/4 acre and I'd not feel good about an antenna that could fall to the far side of my neighbors yard if it came down. I might put up the 102" on a 10-12' pole soon. Here is a shot of what we have. Ours is the house with the yellow truck in the driveway.

And what about getting HF antennas up high where they cause no or at least little interference? Granted 10' is nothing, but practically sitting on the ground inside a flagpole?

Last edited by jeepinjeepin; 08-31-2013 at 9:08 PM..
Old 08-31-2013, 9:19 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

A Flag Pole has to be allowed. So make a FP antenna. Congress said they can't say no. An A-99 will also do both 10 and 11 meters.
Old 08-31-2013, 9:37 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The antenna will work ok. It will give you both 10/11 meter bands. It should cause no or little interference. Just place it in the yard and do your thing. No you will not get out like it was 100' in the air. But you will be on the air and can talk to the YL.
Old 09-01-2013, 9:37 AM

Back to the drawing board, 108" ground radials at angle is not going to work.. TV tripod mounted too close to edge of roof, and I will need to mount antenna at least 5' higher than roof, and very steep roof line. So I got a few more questions

1) In pictures of A99 antennas I don't see large ground planes (some do), many have 4 small 18" (I'm guessing), why is that?
2) Maybe related to #1, does 108" need to be physical distance from antenna or can I load it like a fiberglass whip?
3) I'm rethinking the vertical dipole, I have plenty of copper, and pvc piping to make almost anything I'd need. Will the dipole get out as far as a ground plane design?

You've all been a great help! And has been a blast learning and playing on the ground with different ideas...now I just need a final product before I get up there. So far I only see spending $30-50 on 50' coax and misc. clamps/mounts. I can hardly wait to see what it does!
Sponsored links
Old 09-01-2013, 1:59 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The A-99 really doesn't have a ground plane that you can see. It does not need it. And the GP kit that can be added has 3 radials that are each 6 feet long. It and the 108" will not perform as well as the A-99. It would've been better and cheaper to purchase an A-99 than put together 4 108" whips.
Old 09-01-2013, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman21218 View Post
The A-99 really doesn't have a ground plane that you can see. It does not need it. And the GP kit that can be added has 3 radials that are each 6 feet long. It and the 108" will not perform as well as the A-99. It would've been better and cheaper to purchase an A-99 than put together 4 108" whips.
Why doesn't it need a ground plane?
I've spent $0 on this build and like to keep it that way, other than coax and a clamp or two.
I'm only looking for the best antenna design I can build myself with what I have, and only includes copper pipe, pvc pipe, (1) 102"SS whip w/ extra parts for mounting, gobs of stranded 16 awg

Last edited by TheDude1969; 09-01-2013 at 3:58 PM..
Old 09-02-2013, 12:00 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There are a few antennas that do not need a ground plane. Since the 1970's I've used 3. The shakespeare big stick, A-99, and I-Max 2000. There are several others out. If you search for CB antennas you will find some. They DO NOT COME with or do they need radials to work. I've talked from Maryland to Australia using an A-99 with no ground plane kit on 10 meters. Read below

The A99 - a best seller

Solarcon A-99 Product Reviews

Old 09-02-2013, 12:55 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Dude maybe this will help you understand how to do what you need. And a picture of the A99.

A-99
Solarcon Antron 99 CB Groundplane Antenna - YouTube

102"
The 102" Whip CB Base Station Antenna - YouTube

Tune Antenna
Tuning a CB Radio Antenna - YouTube
Old 09-03-2013, 1:35 PM

Thanks Milkman
But I have to stick w/ 1/4 wave, my little TV tripod couldn't handle the weight/height needed for 1/2 length.
So I'm still curious:
1) Does 108" ground plane need to be physical distance from aerial or can I load it like a fiberglass whip?
2) Why is it a vertical dipole has the same doughnut shape radiation pattern as ground plane design? Does one affect distance over height better? (or did I read wrong?)

If I'm way off base w/ questions I'm asking, please say so, and point me in right direction. I have only one days rental of ladder saved to make it right the first time.

A huge thanks to everyone here!
Old 09-03-2013, 3:17 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude1969 View Post
Thanks Milkman
But I have to stick w/ 1/4 wave, my little TV tripod couldn't handle the weight/height needed for 1/2 length.
So I'm still curious:
1) Does 108" ground plane need to be physical distance from aerial or can I load it like a fiberglass whip?
2) Why is it a vertical dipole has the same doughnut shape radiation pattern as ground plane design? Does one affect distance over height better? (or did I read wrong?)

If I'm way off base w/ questions I'm asking, please say so, and point me in right direction. I have only one days rental of ladder saved to make it right the first time.

A huge thanks to everyone here!
TV tripods do work for the A-99. The ground plane is the other half of the antenna. Why not just copy what was done in the video? He gives good info. I don't think that you will get as far with your homebrew as the A99. But it will work.

Last edited by milkman21218; 09-03-2013 at 3:19 PM..
Old 09-03-2013, 5:01 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I think I may have some of the same space constraints as thedude. I've been given clearance to mount a mast at the corner of the garage after I get the tiller running and till under the garden as long as I keep the patio uncluttered. If I mount an A99 I'm gonna need to keep the mast shorter, around 10', and I'm thinking the longer imax 2000 is out of the question. If I DIY a 1/4 wave I'm gonna need to go higher to get the radials out of the way. I won't have anywhere to guy the radials though, so I'm thinking a copper pipe for the vertical and a pair of stainless whips for the radials. I already have one whip. I've got some thinking to do.
Old 09-04-2013, 8:13 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There, I just did it. I ordered an A99. If I decide to go with an IMAX, or something else, later I might be able to install the A99 at my in-laws house.
Old 09-04-2013, 2:09 PM

I think you chose that 'A99' for the same reason most people do. It's simple, sort of 'un-gawdy' and fairly cheap. They are never going to be the best thing since sliced bread, but they do work as good as most.
More height is always 'better'. But you also have to contend with what's practical for you. Mix those two together and come up with what's best/easiest for you, that's what we all do.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:58 AM

go this route, it's easy, simple, & not a heavyweight!!!
Attached Images