• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wilson W1000 vs W5000 roof mount antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepinjeepin

Premium Subscriber
I think I've settled down to these 2 antennas. Other than power handling, which is a bit of a joke because they are rated at 3000 and 5000 watts respectively, is there a difference between the two? Will the more expensive W5000 offer slightly better performance or durability or is it just extra money down the drain? They are advertised as 10/11 meter antennas. I'd be using it on a stock CB radio at first and possibly on 10 meters with up to 100 watts or so in the future, but mobile 4 watt CB is the primary use.

oldcb

I think I've settled down to these 2 antennas. Other than power handling, which is a bit of a joke because they are rated at 3000 and 5000 watts respectively, is there a difference between the two? Will the more expensive W5000 offer slightly better performance or durability or is it just extra money down the drain? They are advertised as 10/11 meter antennas. I'd be using it on a stock CB radio at first and possibly on 10 meters with up to 100 watts or so in the future, but mobile 4 watt CB is the primary use.

do you mean by "roof mount" as a mag mount?, if so, i've been having a hard time getting low swr's with my 5000, but i haven't put in the middle of the roof yet, only because thats not where i want it, but i can still tell that either will out preform most others (i have both a 1000 and a 5000) for the the "long trip".....................oldcb

jeepinjeepin

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, they have a mag mount, trunk lip mount, and roof (permanent through the roof) mount in each version. I'm looking toward the permanent mount.

oldcb

Sorry, they have a mag mount, trunk lip mount, and roof (permanent through the roof) mount in each version. I'm looking toward the permanent mount.

should be a good choice, just be sure that your swrs are where they need to be before drilling holes!...................oldcb

milkman21218

They both use to be great antennas before Barjan got their hands on them. Now they can be more hit or miss. I saw a new 5000 burn up with 600 watts. I've run the old Wilsons for years. They were good and worked very well. And they will do either 10 or 11 meters. But not both like the Sirio 5000's will. You will have to trim the stinger if you go 10 meters. Then it's much to short to ever go back to 11 meters. If you plan on doing both 10/11 meters take a look at the Sirio. I just installed one yesterday. And they will do both 11 and parts of 10 (28.520) with a 1.7 or less SWR. With it I spoke to another mobile CBer over 12 miles away. I had friend tell me about them. And I wouldn't bite. I wish that I had done it earlier now. It was money very well spent. And it cost is close to the Wilson 5000.

Sirio Performer 5000 PL CB Radio Antenna Review...........By Dave M0OGY - YouTube

Sirio Performer 5000 / Turbo 5000 - YouTube

jeepinjeepin

Premium Subscriber
Ok, you have me looking at the Sirio. Amazon has both the Performer and Turbo. The Turbo is the older model? It's $4 less, but almost sounds like it comes with a mount whereas the Performer does not. It looks like the Turbo also has the provision to tilt, but might require an Allen wrench or some other drive tool in place of the Performers built in lever. I'm really considering the Performer 5000, SO-239 body mount, and the 125 mag mount. The mag mount would be more or less to find the most suitable location. I'd get one of the larger mag bases for a semi permanent install if it would fit between the stiffening rails on my roof.

milkman21218

It needs the 145 mag mount to hold it on a vehicle at Hi-way speeds. The 125 mag is about the same as the Wilson mag. Both of mine will be on the roof of Town & Country mini vans. They are about the same height as your Jeep. I have 2 of the performers. I like the fast of not needing 2 antennas for 10 and 11meters anymore. My 259B shows that it covers more than the Technician phone and CB bands at the same time. On my Wilsons I use 2 coils 1 with a whip cut for 10 meters and 1 with a 11 whip. Mostly I'm liking the range on 11.

jeepinjeepin

Premium Subscriber
Does your Town & Country have a smooth roof? I was gonna get the Mag 160 until I though about my roof. I only have just at 5.25" to fit a mag mount between the contours on the roof which knocks out the 160 and 145. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377998830.562153.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.