• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

question on my homemade dipole

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldcb

got my dipole put together today, just letting the sealer cure at the moment, my question is, at what height off the ground would be a good starting point?, it will be used horizontally for 11 meters.......................oldcb

Attachments

• DSCF0006 (2).jpg
    DSCF0006 (2).jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 774

N8UXP

Premium Subscriber
N8UXP

Generally,as high as you can safely put it away from electrical wires or other forms of interference.

oldcb

i guess i have another question, does it make any difference if aimed east/west or north/south ?....................oldcb

milkman21218

got my dipole put together today, just letting the sealer cure at the moment, my question is, at what height off the ground would be a good starting point?, it will be used horizontally for 11 meters.......................oldcb

Horz is for SSB. Most 11 meters is Vert for AM. If you are running the wire north & south your signal goes east & west.

oldcb

Horz is for SSB. Most 11 meters is Vert for AM. If you are running the wire north & south your signal goes east & west.

thanks milkman, i wanted to try this on ssb, but would like to direct my signal south, which from what i'm seeing, i should mount it east/west, correct?, not to mention, it just happens to be the best place for me to mount it anyway.....................oldcb

oldcb

Is this a kit or did you make this from scratch? Do you have the plans you followed for this?

Russell

no, not a kit, i made it from scratch, pvc t and caps, i used a 239 from out of a parts radio, and dissected an old starter solenoid (from an old riding mower, the plastic style) for the cable studs which worked out better than i expected because the studs have spines at the bottom that pressed into the holes i drilled in the end caps for them, it worked out quite well, we'll see once i get hooked up and give it a try...................oldcb

LtDoc

That directionality about 'off the sides' of a dipole apply to horizontally mounted dipoles. A vertically mounted dipole isn't going to be very directional at all. Unfortunately, the majority of signal polarizations is vertical, not horizontal. After a signal makes one 'skip' then it's polarity changes. Opposite polarity signals don't 'hear' each other too well at less than 'skip' distances. That means that locally, if your antenna is horizontal and their antenna is vertically polarized, signals are going to be weak to/from each other. That's a very 'rough' way of saying it, and there are exceptioons, but generally that's about how it works out.
Don't misunderstand, a dipole will certainly be better than nothing, so do it. If you can figure a way of changing it from a horizontal mounting to a vertical mounting (hang the thing from one end), you will definitely hear a difference.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

mike_gain

Coil some coax into a loop about six turns in a six inch coil near the feed point. This is known as a choke balun. You will be glad you did.

oldcb

Coil some coax into a loop about six turns in a six inch coil near the feed point. This is known as a choke balun. You will be glad you did.

yeah, i've been reading up on the choke balun, and was going to give it a try, do these work good for most antennas, or only certain ones?.......................oldcb

mike_gain

The dipole is a balanced antenna often fed with coax which is unbalanced. A balun helps the match so to speak. You could install your dipole as an inverted V bringing the impedance closer to 50 ohms. The inverted V has a more omni radiation pattern while retaining it's horz polarity. If you go with the standard flat top dipole which is closer to 75 ohms you may could feed it with RG6.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Using a balun to convert a balanced antenna to unbalanced coax is a good thing. But a choke balun (simply coils of coax) is used to "choke" off reflected RF flowing on the outside of the coax and is only useful if you are transmitting. It would provide very little effect on a receive only antenna.
BB

k8krh

HOPE it works good for you, I monitor chnl 36 usb a lot might hear you on some skip.
795/chnl 36 usb

oldcb

That directionality about 'off the sides' of a dipole apply to horizontally mounted dipoles. A vertically mounted dipole isn't going to be very directional at all. Unfortunately, the majority of signal polarizations is vertical, not horizontal. After a signal makes one 'skip' then it's polarity changes. Opposite polarity signals don't 'hear' each other too well at less than 'skip' distances. That means that locally, if your antenna is horizontal and their antenna is vertically polarized, signals are going to be weak to/from each other. That's a very 'rough' way of saying it, and there are exceptioons, but generally that's about how it works out.
Don't misunderstand, a dipole will certainly be better than nothing, so do it. If you can figure a way of changing it from a horizontal mounting to a vertical mounting (hang the thing from one end), you will definitely hear a difference.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

does it matter if the feed line is up or down when mounted vertical?.....................oldcb

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
A dipole when mounted vertical should have the feedline come away at 90 degrees (at right angles) to the dipole for at least a quarter of a wavelength.
BB

joesnogood

waocb "said"

I myself will be hanging an 11meter dipole. I will b installing it vertically. I have zero knowledge of these antennas. I would like to do what I can to increase my chances of doing the best job. With my lack of knowledge this is unlikely. WAOCB said when installing a dipole in a vertical manner the feed line should be 90 dagres at (right angles) for a quarter wave. Can someone exsplain this in laymans term? If there is someone who can send me a site that has a diagram of this it would be even better but a description (PLEASE EXSPLAIN IT AS YOU WOULD TO A FIFTH GRADER) Thank u all. Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.