• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

swr question

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldcb

i've been using my 1/2 wave for my testing of other radios, right now i've got a pretty good reading of 1.2 from channel 1 through 40 on my cobra 139xlr, but i've noticed higher readings when switching to other radios, i just hooked up my cobra 29 and went from 1.2 on the 139xlr to 2.3 on the 29, all i did was move the cable about 8" from the back of the 139 up to the back of the 29, whats up?..........................oldcb.............BTW, thanks for all that have helped me along the way with my many questions, i am getting better at this cb phenomenon, for me it's a whole new field, but i love to learn

BirkenVogt

If using the radio's built in SWR meter, I have seen some wildly different results, such that I don't trust them at all. Use a regular SWR meter and I bet you will see no difference between radios, and you will get a more accurate reading of what the antenna's SWR actually is.

oldcb

If using the radio's built in SWR meter, I have seen some wildly different results, such that I don't trust them at all. Use a regular SWR meter and I bet you will see no difference between radios, and you will get a more accurate reading of what the antenna's SWR actually is.

kinda what i was thinking, as the 29 was a used radio when i got it, and can tell someone has been in it before.....................oldcb

jim202

i've been using my 1/2 wave for my testing of other radios, right now i've got a pretty good reading of 1.2 from channel 1 through 40 on my cobra 139xlr, but i've noticed higher readings when switching to other radios, i just hooked up my cobra 29 and went from 1.2 on the 139xlr to 2.3 on the 29, all i did was move the cable about 8" from the back of the 139 up to the back of the 29, whats up?..........................oldcb.............BTW, thanks for all that have helped me along the way with my many questions, i am getting better at this cb phenomenon, for me it's a whole new field, but i love to learn

The only way to compare the 2 radios is to use an external SWR meter. This way your not changing the way you are trying to measure the different radios.

The internal SWR measurement built into a radio can be anything from true to total BS. It is there just to keep people happy that they have a way of trying to get some sort of a reading, even though it can be as far from the truth as water and matches.

prcguy

If the grounding or counterpoise of the antennas are inadequate there will be RF current on the outside of the coax and it will radiate just like the antenna. In this case moving the coax around can change the match.

There are various ways to fix this and addressing the inadequate ground is best but placing a common mode RF choke on the coax at the right spot (usually about 1/4 wave from the antenna) will usually tame the hot coax. You can make a choke by running several turns of the coax through a large number 43 mix toroid core available from Amidon associates. Look for an FT-240-43 core for high power.
prcguy

Last edited:

JayMojave

Yeah what PRC Guy said: Good call.

You can add different lengths of coax with your external SWR meter and see if that changes any thing, it is does you may have a hot coax, or RF Energy running down the coax causing a erratic SWR reading.

What type of 1/2 wave antenna do you have. Ifs a dipole you will need a Balun between the coax and wires, this will convert the unbalance coax currents to balance currents, and choke off RF Energy coming down the coax. Many say you don't need a Balun, I always use them.

Jay in the Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.