• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB MIcrophone Mysteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawn

We've already covered the amplified mics, which nothing appears to have changed since the early 70's in their desirability of conventional stock microphones.

Back then, anything but a 3/4 pin microphone with just PTT keying and maybe a make/break connection on the mic element was considered the optimum microphone. The seperate audio shield and system ground while usually tied together in most mics although some radios had a seperate audio input ground that pretty much was disregarded with the isolated chassis from vehicular ground towards the later 70's.

A "real" radio used relay switching, perhaps because the physical arrangement was easier to understand and electronic switching often meant more wires to make/break the receiver audio which in some cases required the mic to be inserted for local audio depending on the design. I had many requests to change the DIN connector on Radio Shack and Sears radios to 4 pin which at times was logistically impossible on front panel mounts especially with molded plastic front panels without a lot of surgery and in some cases standoffs, so I wouldn't do them. I really got tired of hearing that DINs pull out of their sockets. In normal mobile use or base use, that would be near impossible. People really hated those connectors which is probably the reason they've gone the way of the Dodo. It didn't help matters with some radios taking liberty with the pinouts by adding unfused 12V direct from the power input to pin 2 for direct powering of proprietary power mics which was common in Hitachi made chassis. Inserting a Midland/Cobra DIN blew that trace upon keying. Hitachi in some cases used pin 2 and pin 5 in radios that didn't need to break the rx audio for remote volume on the mic. That didn't help things either.

Much of that history in mics was understandable though. Folks find electronic switching abstract as well as mic impedance. The one I see now that befuddles me is what's the issue with condensor microphones? Most any commerical or amateur radio has been using them for years. I see this gray button/black button thing that doesn't appear to translate to mic PTT levers/plungers. Where did this terminology come from and what is with the problem with condensor mics as cheap junk in favor of a dynamic cartridge. If anything, it's the reverse that's true. Is the added bias on the mic line another problem that if not isolated prevents the use of a Dynamic? Is it the mass of the microphone being lighter? I find it amusing that commerical mics now put heavy metal plates inside the microphone to give the illusion of heft, but retain the condensor button on a circuit board.

Where did this gray/black button thing come from and what's the problem with condensor mics? They sound a hell of a lot better to me. With some added amplification, you get a self powered, power mic out of the deal too for a lot less, what's not to like?

LtDoc

The seller.
Advertising.
'Opinion'.
'Mine's better than yours!".

Another reason is that a smaller mic cartridge means more 'space' in that mic for other things.
Whatever...
- 'Doc

SpectreOZ

Where did this gray/black button thing come from and what's the problem with condenser mics? They sound a hell of a lot better to me. With some added amplification, you get a self powered, power mic out of the deal too for a lot less, what's not to like?

Why don't we all drive the same type of vehicles?
Why don't we all dress the same?
Why don't we wear the same hair style?
Why don't we all just agree?

Because we are all individuals...

Dawn

Why don't we all drive the same type of vehicles?
Why don't we all dress the same?
Why don't we wear the same hair style?
Why don't we all just agree?

Because we are all individuals...

Time moves on. This isn't a matter of personal preference, it's more a matter of myth and group perception. When a client makes a statement after handling two different microphones, one with a metal plate inside to make it appear heavy and the other a similar replacement build microphone with different, modern cosmetics and and thinner neoprene cord proclaims it to be a "piece of sh*t". Within 2 weeks, all new mics in the system are suddenly declared to sound like garbage and even the dispatcher agrees with the consensus and I'm charged with rebuilding or sourcing out old mics, that's a collective delusion, not a matter of preference fed with acedotal knowledge based on a myth. Had I never mentioned the fact the mics are lighter b/c the new ones use a condensor mic and this first cabbie was an "educated CB'er" whom I explained this, this probably would have never occurred. Monitoring the system off-the-air, you couldn't tell one mic from the other, inside the circuitry was essentially the same packaged in an older, retro syle form factor years ago for product appearance continuity. Sociologist would call this first individual a "contagion".

If individuals would make judgements based on personal experience and observation rather then pack confromance, you would have true individuality and your statements would be spot on. Most of my posts in the past few weeks have been one of someone that's re-entered this sphere after 30+ years only to see nothing has really changed and the vey same misinformation continues today. This never occured with amateurs or hifi afficiandos(tubeheads and vinyl exceptions in a small minority where group dynamics are also the same motivator) who were willing to embrace the new. Moving coil dynamic mics are not more rugged the a condensor, sound very muddy by comparison to a electret cartridge, and more expensive. They don't lend themselves to be integrated with other electronics as easily, in short, they are an anachronism that is no longer found anywhere else, just like carbon and crystal mics found themselves before them. If judging a car by the weight, perceived value in construction that's not necessarly better or safer and used antiquated and inefficent technology by the same standards, the masses would be demaning 50's built and styled vehicles.

A few days ago doing a search, I came across a page from of all places, was Homeland Securities's assay of communications available to the public. In otherwise a very pedantic piece outlining the different services and relative cost/merits, the entry on CB was very humerous. It breaks from the script by noting that if you haven't used a CB in over 20 years, you'd be surprised to see that nothing much has changed and unlike other communications gear outline, they have not kept up with the state of technology and what's available appears to be from a time warp of the past.

Again, pardon my questions and postings if you find offense. I'm just someone that's spent my life and grown up literally in the communications trade and now am trying to make sense of just why this particular medium not only stagnated, but has continued to embraced the myths of 35 years ago and perpetuate them.

JayMojave

hello Dawn: Yeah what you all said!

Especially: "If individuals would make judgements based on personal experience and observation rather then pack confromance, you would have true individuality and your statements would be spot on."

Yes and if decisions were made based on experienced data and hands on types and not by administrators setting in a upscale office, with a view of the Marina we would all be better off.

Too many radio types do just what you said. "Oh its pretty or Big Bob got one of dem"

Buts that human nature. Why are car commercials so vague...... I my self have walked into say HRO and told the salesmen not waste his breath on me as I am a "*****en" radio guy. And then bought a radio that was pretty....

Any good Tech can wire any Mic to any radio, and make sound good. I have modified the old Motorola Mic's for Ham and CB radios. Why? It looks great! I remove the PTT switch unshielded cord, add my new switches, and custom shielded cord, and the old Motorola Mic looks great and works, so the boys say Jay make me one. And no one has heard it. The old Motorola CB Radio Mic's had the worlds smallest wire wound in there Mic's, and would normally open making the CB Radio Motorola Mic not work. So the modified old commercial Mic's got modified, for all types of radios, they just looked great!

PTT switches, channel up & down switches, frequency adjust Pots, Mic gain pots, light dimmer pots, and many more function were added. Making that large "Great Looking" Mic very busy inside, but well worth all the work, it looked great!

Jay in the Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.