• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

how to say numbers and letters on a cb

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
It is a free for all on crappy band. Can say these any way you want. Everyone has a different way of saying these and there is no policy on how to say anything [except profanity which is rambant].

to spd640 the answer is yes I need something I can print out for the correct way of doing the numbers and letters on a cb radio

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
to spd640 the answer is yes I need something I can print out for the correct way of doing the numbers and letters on a cb radio

Do it just like you're doing it here. Unless ... they don't speak english on cb anymore? :roll:

n9zas

krokus

Premium Subscriber
If you are talking with the SSB crowd, the NATO/ICAO/ham phonetics. If the AM locals, then whatever they will understand. :)

Sent from Tapatalk

milkman21218

I've been into CB since 1968 and we have always use plain English. Even as a Trucker of over 40 years we still used plain English on the CB. None of this tree 9 stuff. Break 1-9.

Darth_vader

Alfa
Baker
Charlie
Delta
Eko
Foxtrot
Golf
Hotel
India
Jew-lee-et
Kee-low
Lee-muh
Mike
November
Oscar
Paw-paw
Kay-beck
Romeo
Sierra
Tango
Uniform
Victor
Walter
X-ray
Yankee
Zulu

Wun
Too
Tree
Fo-wer
Fife
Six
Seb-bun
Eight
Niner
Zero

Of course, the real CBers know to only use this system in cases where the recipient's signal level is bad (easy to tell because they'll 4-10 every other time they key up.)

And yes, it is a very slow day at work today. How did you guess?

WQJI916

Then, of course, there is the law enforcement phonetic alphabet:

LAPD phonetic alphabet Letter Phonetic/Number Phonetic

A Adam
B Boy
C Charles
D David
E Edward
F Frank
G George
H Henry
I Ida
J John
K King
L Lincoln
M Mary
N Nora
O Ocean
P Paul
Q Queen
R Robert
S Sam
T Tom
U Union
V Victor
W William
X X-ray
Y Young
Z Zebra

Dawn

While I don't want to sound like a smart@ss, it's been a long time in this area that most words were in english, so unless you speak spanish, it wouldn't matter how you pronounced them or phonetically gave them so long as it was in spanish.

+1 to using plain language unless you have adverse conditions when a universal phonetic alphabet is necessary. You don't talk that way on a phone or cell phone do you?

Darth_vader

"You don't talk that way on a telephone, do you?"

Occasionally I have to, particularly when spelling odd or unusual names, as there tend to be many of here in the Northwest. (Try telling somebody you're from "Skwim" and see if they actually know it's not spelt that way.) The crappy bit-starved codecs that pass as acceptable on cell phone networks these days don't help, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.