• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Squelch problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullfrog-807

Just bought a used Cobra 29 Ltd classic off eBay. Every thing is good other than the squelch. This is my problem. Ill be on a channel with no one. Turn my squelch just enough to cut static out. When I get some local Guy talking that's pushing a 9 his audio fades in and out. I turn the squelch off and he sounds good. Can someone please tell me what this is and how to fix it.

JayMojave

Hello Bullfrog-807:

Where is the RF Gain? should be all the way on, turned to the right, try that.

Excuse robertmac I think his suspenders are on to tight at times.

Jay in the Mojave

LtDoc

Something else you need to keep in mind is that it is a 'used' radio, you have no idea what possible 'mods' were done to it...
- 'Doc

SCPD

QRT
bullfrog-807, I used to have the same problem on two of my old 29 LTD Classics. When the squelch was set and someone local or with loud swinging modulation would come in, the squelch would start clipping the modulation. That would make it sound like they are cutting out. I have never seen a fix for that particular problem posted on any other cb site or cb trick or mod site.
However, years ago I did solve my problem with some tinkering around. VR3 is the squelch adjustment in the radio. If you are not familiar with radio adjustments take it to a reputable cb shop. Unless you are confident that you can use a soldering iron to install one simple part, that may fixed this problem.
I am by no means a radio tech. This would be at your own risk if you open your radio up and do anything to change things.
One capacitor is all that's needed. Find a 25 volt 22 uF electrolytic capacitor.(the one's that look like a small can with two legs on them) They can be found in just about any scrap radio or electronic junk.
Find C147 (.039uF Mylar Cap.) located near the squelch adjustment VR3. If you can find the solder joints of C147 on the solder side of the pc board (that is the top side of the radio) solder the 22v.-22uF capacitor to C147.
As I have said, I've never seen a fix posted anywhere for this problem. The problem may actually may be the value of C147 itself. Haven't tried actually changing the part out. By adding the extra capacitor to the back side of the existing one did work for both of mine. This is actually changing the value of the part.
These were the older Cobra radios made in the 90's.
My newer ones don't have this problem.
If it is alright to post a link for the schematic and screen shot of the radios pcb, here it is. Hope this can help you and others out there that may have a similar problem.
http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/29ltd_29ltd_st_29wx_st/graphics/cobra_29ltd_sm.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.