• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

You got to be kidding??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
It has nothing to do with Ebay, they are just "the site". The sellers are individual businesses or individuals selling their own items using Ebay's website. If you don't like a seller's prices don't buy the item. Someone can ask whatever they want but it doesn't mean they will get it.

That's like saying RadioReference went to the birds because of someone's high price on an item in the classified section. I have used Ebay for many many years with very few problems, and the problems I did have Ebay made good.

Last edited:

KD0PEZ

Agreed. It's like the classic car market....old outdated cars that don't handle, stop, turn or accelerate near as well as a newer car, yet the baby boomers are still paying thru the nose on Barrett-Jackson to relive their youth. Otherwise 1969 Camaro SS's and 1970 Boss 429 Mustangs would still be affordable.

Radios are kind of in the same boat. I'd imagine people pay thru the nose to get back an old radio they once had. However I do get where you're coming from....the seller of this auction is a known con artist. You might fault him for asking such a nutty price, but then again as they say, there's a sucker born every minute.

KB0VWG

Yeah that is true

I meant to word it different in my first post, i know its not eBay doing of setting the price on Items its seller, I do a lot of buying and selling on eBay often, mostly buy radios and sell them etc and a few computers now and then. Seems to me lately everything on eBay is set at a higher price than used to be such as shortwave radios for example, or I have become a cheapskate as I have gotten older.
For that price on my first post I could buy a nice new Hf for that or even cheaper.
Michael
kb0vwg
wqoi992

RC286

ebay is hit and miss for radio equipment.
The prices are set by the seller, and they usually set the price to make the biggest profit they can.
don't get me wrong, I have gotten great deals, Just won an astatic D-104 mic for $10, but they are plentiful
on the bay.

Another think to keep in mind is ebay is also fueled by those people that have a chunk of cash and decide
early on "this will be mine no matter what!" I have lost many auctions due to this, and have watched two
or three people bid the item up to multitudes more than what it is worth.

Ebay really is a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder (or person trying to make a quick buck on a sucker)" kind of place. The key is to know your product, know your prices, and most importantly, know your limit.

MOST of my shack has come from the local classifieds or swap meets. At least in my locale, these seem
to promise the best deals, provided your willing to wait for that item your looking for to come along.
I got my 5/8 CB antenna for free, guy was giving it away as scrap. He asked if I was scrapping it or using
it. I told him I was going to use it. I was pleasantly surprised to not only get a fully functional antenna,
but also a working SSB CB rig, 100ft of RG8U coax, a 6CH crystal controlled handheld CB and an SWR meter, all working for nothing. The ssb rig was cosmetically brutalized, but functional. It now resides as
my friend and I base rig at the lake. We use it to keep in touch when we go into town on our mobile rigs
in our vehicles and shoot some skip here and there. The handheld is great to take out on the boat and keep in touch with anyone back at the cabin. not bad for a 2 min detour on the way home from work.

That's just to mention one lot, I got an near mint SX-99 receiver (less tubes) for $30 from an antique store.
Guy wasn't ready to sell it, said he was going to order tubes. I asked him how much for it as is, told him
I had boxes of tubes in my basement. Walked away with it for pocket change. After a quick re capping
and re-stringing the dials, searched my stash for tubes, I have a nice working set. And it is one of my
favorite radios.

There are many more deals than those, but this post would be a mile long lol

Just takes patience and a keen eye. Always be on the lookout for a deal.

73's

Last edited:

KD0PEZ

My belief in terms of the sold auctions where someone paid too much for, are due to old retired radio operators who have disposable income and all the time in the world to sit in front of a PC and bid up an auction.

Darth_vader

"E-Bay is also fuelled by those people that have a chunk of cash and decide early on 'this will be mine no matter what'! I have lost many auctions due to this, and have watched two or three people bid the item up to multitudes more than what it is worth."

That was what made me stop buying through auctions when I was still using Fleabay. Only took two instances of getting screwed that way to give up on auctions and only deal with "Buy It Now" sales. Mostly records, tapes and such, but it was enough to convince me that "if it doesn't say 'Buy It Now' it's not worth it".

Of course this became a moot point when they decided to make their "Paypal" crap mandatory and I jumped ship...

Token

Agreed. It's like the classic car market....old outdated cars that don't handle, stop, turn or accelerate near as well as a newer car, yet the baby boomers are still paying thru the nose on Barrett-Jackson to relive their youth. Otherwise 1969 Camaro SS's and 1970 Boss 429 Mustangs would still be affordable.

Radios are kind of in the same boat. I'd imagine people pay thru the nose to get back an old radio they once had. However I do get where you're coming from....the seller of this auction is a known con artist. You might fault him for asking such a nutty price, but then again as they say, there's a sucker born every minute.

That seller has a history of horribly overpriced equipment.

The classic car market, and classic radio market, is like any “classic”, “collectable”, or “antique” market. When there are only a few left, then originals in exceptional condition, or refurbished to high levels, will bring good prices.

For example, a very nice condition Hallicrafters SX-28 might bring $800 today. It is true that it will not perform to the level of competitively priced current hardware, but you can get as many pieces of the modern hardware as you want, while the number of SX-28’s in that condition is very limited, and getting fewer. Supply and demand. In 1972 I bought one in pretty good shape for $75. That is about $420 adjusted to todays dollar values. The radios are much more rare today than 40 years ago, in 1972, so I can see how it would be more “valuable” today. 40 years later, much fewer of them still in existence in the same condition, and yet selling for only twice the “value”. The fact that the people who would most desire them today would be people remembering them from their youth, people often in their financial prime, cannot hurt the value.

Supply and demand, and reduced dollar purchasing value (the same quality cost more today in number of dollars), I can see why prices can sometimes look a little inflated at first glance. Not that I am justifying the price of that CPI, that was just nuts ;).

T!

Status
Not open for further replies.