• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

no outgoing talk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

poorman

Hi guys new here, ive had a lot of CB's over the years and have had a few troubles but managed to overcome them LOL ... anyway i dug out an old ground plane antenna i had in the garage rafters and put it on a tripod on the porch roof (tin) and tempoary used a barrel conector to hook 2 new cables togeather from the antenna to the radio, and it picks up great but if i try to transmit it just keys up and thats all i hear when im outside on another radio... it just clicks and no sound, but if i talk from my truck back to it its loud and clear as a bell, i tried 3 different radios and i get the same thing :( any help would be great

PS: all the items im using have worked before (except the new coax) thanks

Dawn

You're going to have to be more specific. Are you saying that you are receiving a dead carrier on your mobile with no modulation?

poorman

ok let me try to explain better, (im not good with the technical terms at all)

i have a old ground plane antenna with 1 upright and 3 downward fingers

i mounted it on my porch roof thats a tin roof

i cant talk out on it all anybody hears is me keying up up to about 3 miles away

i can hear them talking up to about 3 miles away (had a friend in his truck driving around for me)

first i tried a very old base station and couldnt get out

second i grabbed a noble unit and a battery pack and it dont get out (just keys up like the otters)

and then i tried one more noble radio and it just keyed up too,

all 3 have there own mic's and i even switched them around once,

ive never had this kind of trouble before, thanks for the help

PS: im on moderated status so it may take a while for my replies to show, thanks

poorman

here is what i got in pictures (i hope)

all the parts were cleaned and shined up before putting it up

first picture is the top side of the mounting bracket

second picture is the top side after i loosened it

the third picture is the bottom side after i slid it down after loosening the top nut

last picture is what it looks like up

Attachments

• IMG_0320.JPG
    IMG_0320.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_0324.JPG
    IMG_0324.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_0326.JPG
    IMG_0326.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_0317.JPG
    IMG_0317.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 331

GSPD

Is there an insulator of some type on the radiating element to insulate it from the mounting bracket?

DisasterGuy

The situation that you describe really doesn't make much sense. You are getting power out (having someone at a distance hear your carrier) but do not have any modulation. Modulation should not be in anyway tied to the antenna or feedline in this case.

poorman

no isolators at all. its metal to metal, i thought that was odd BUT i heard it working at a friends house years ago, after that i got it from him and put it in the garage rafters.

i dont under stand why it will key up to somebody down the road but they cant hear any talk :(

thanks guys, i wish i was more "smarter" about what im talking about im sure it would help :(

poorman

ok little update.... last night i lowered the mast and clamped an old K40 trunk mount antenna on the bracket where the GP was and raised it back up and i can talk OUT! only about a 1/2 or so but its not been tuned and its old. so now i need to figure out whats wrong with the GP as to why it wont talk out...

poorman

got the ground plane working "sort of" BUT the SWR is all the way to 5!!! :( cant seem to get it down any ideas? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.