• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

cobra 29 solder side little black jumper

Status
Not open for further replies.

07kawzx6r

wondering if anybody knows what this would be it is a black square jumper on the solder side.of the board near a hole in the board i removed it and now my radio wont key up

07kawzx6r

black square

i thought i was something that got stuck between two solder joints when i.was working on the radio it kinda looks like a tiny square plastic thing between to solder joints? and how do i post a picture?

07kawzx6r

black jumper

yoi can see it between the solder joints and then without it but my metet wont even move or tx without it but i coild hear myself in.talkback

Attachments

• 2014-02-08 00.39.28.jpg
    2014-02-08 00.39.28.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 852
  • 2014-02-08 00.39.02.jpg
    2014-02-08 00.39.02.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 849
  • 2014-02-08 00.39.51.jpg
    2014-02-08 00.39.51.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 821

cg

Premium Subscriber
Looks to me like a surface mount component, possibly a chip resistor (although the lack of focus makes identifying it impossible). If you didn't keep it or destroyed it during removal, you will need a manual to identify the part in order to replace it. Then hope the lack of it and trying to use the unit didn't render something else inoperable.

If you cannot identify something, removal is usually not a good solution.

chris

07kawzx6r

black jumper

i didnt know it was suppost to be there i did a final upgrade and thought a piece of something had got stuck there but it has no writing on it at all i have no idea how i would find out what it is unless someone else knew what it was but the radio will power on and everything works but wont transmot the meter dont move at all

SCPD

QRT
cb

The President Jackson Cb had a jumper inside ,it was a small metal board,when you removed it ,the radio wouldnt transmit,pray its just a jumper! I would look in the schematics if you want to be sure.....You could
get them online...

07kawzx6r

thanks

thanks i tried to find schematics couldnt see it on there i was hoping i could put a diode or disc vap or something back in its place i tried a regular jumper wire it didnt help

sloop

Let me start off by apologizing for offending anyone since that is NOT the intent of this reply.
1. Why were you messing with the 'innards' of the radio to begin with? I know people that run 500 watts that can't talk as far as I do with 5 watts. Its all about purity of signal and ANTENNA!
2. Did it work before you removed the part? In other words are you sure the final(s) are in correctly?
3. The part was probably a varactor....keying it up with out it possibly did no damage; HOWEVER, keying it up with a jumper could have done a 'world of harm"!!!
4. The best thing you could do is to take it to a certified tech and let him fix it....but considering that they average about $60 per hour (depending on your location) it would probably be cheaper to trash the radio and buy a new one (I found this out when the nightwatch board went out on my Cobra 25) and finally..
5. If you buy a new one DON'T MESS INSIDE IT!!! Work on your antenna instead.

p.s. Since Cobra is now made in China there is no way of knowing if the actual parts and board will match the schematic!

07kawzx6r

thanks

thanks and yes the radio worked b4 i removed it. i guess im just gonna keep it for parts and find a new radio thanls for the help everyone

sloop

I understand how you feel, but if it makes you feel any better I have been there. I was modifying a ham radio to transmit in the MARS freq. and cut the wrong part out. If it had been a $100 CB I would have junked it and got a new one but it was a $800 amateur radio...sooo I sent it back and let the factory tech fix it. When you have to use a magnifying glass to see the part its too small to replace! Sure do miss tube radios, at least you could see the parts and they would keep you warm on a winters night.

07kawzx6r

thanks

thanks ya that would suck for sure but i bought a parts radio and unoldered the part it is a tiny black boc with a wire coming out each end looks like it might have writing to small to read i put it in.my radio and now it works fine still not sure what it is or what it does

prcguy

The part looks like a surface mount resistor or cap but the pics are too fuzzy to tell.. You can measure across it with an ohm meter to see if its a resistor but either way try to solder it back in place if your comfortable with that or take it to someone who is up on working with surface mount components. It doesn't look damaged too bad in the pics.

If its in a key or power supply line you could replace it with a larger, non surface mount component but if its in an RF path you would want to keep with the surface mount type.
prcguy

MBill

Premium Subscriber
Had a Cobra 29 laying around. Checked and I agree with prcguy, either a surface mount chip
resistor or capacitor. Probably a capacitor in view of the lettering on it. Maybe coupling capacitor
for RF. Will dig out the schematic and see if I can identify it, though I may not have a parts list
or parts layout with the schematic. Hard to identify when on the solder side.
You can get a service manual for the Cobra 29 from Vintagemanuals.com. They have a number
of Cobra manuals.
Glad you got your CB working again.
Bill

Cruiseomatic

Could also be a diode. Never could understand why they used all conventional components and decided to use ONE SMT part.... I also heard Nightwatch faces can be ordered from cobra now. Any truth behind that?

Status
Not open for further replies.