• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help me get started

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePinhead

I have to drive from Phoenix to Telluride this next week. We're taking two cars. I just installed in each car a Midland 5001Z radio with a Cobra magnetic mount antenna. Problem is, the range of the radios is only about .5 miles before all goes to static. I have to believe this is an antenna issue, but I can't be sure. I haven't used a CB radio since 1993. Any suggestions or inout?

JayMojave

Hello Pinhead: Its hard to try and make a good suggestion to help you out not being there to look over the installations. But I will give it a try.

The Cobra Antennas I see on the net here are short antennas meaning the range will be less than a longer antenna say 62 to 102 inches. Its is possible that the 5 mile range is what your going have to live with, but 5 miles isn't all that bad. Those FRS UHF type cheap hand held radios will never make a 5 mile range.

If your able to get one car up on a hill or mountain and the other car drives off and try the distance test again this may have a longer range, indicating the CB's and antennas are working correctly. Limited by the limited performance of the shorter antennas. A better antenna would be a Wilson 1000 or 5000 these are good antennas and I use a Wilson 5000 on one of my trucks with a magnetic mount.

Good luck.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert, .... just down the road ah ways from miss Dinah's fillin station.

Oldme

I see the Midland 500Z is a standard CB not a handled and should be working well.
Di you have a problem with BOTH vehicles or just one?

Check to make sure you gave a good power connection and ground,

I feel the problem most likely is the antenna.

Check for loose connections first.
Both at the radio and the antenna.
Also check for a pinched coax cable.

Did you check the SWR when you installed the antenna?
High SWR will kill the power.

The location of the antenna will affect the performance.
Is it on a good metal surface with as much metal around it as possible?
Higher is better, fewer obstructions is better.

Hard to diagnose long distance.

Hope you find the problems quickly.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
With CB get the best antenna you can, and definitely get a good SWR.

A high gain antenna like one of these would be better.

A CB with SSB would have given you better range too.

JayMojave: The OP was referring to .5 as in half a mile.

Last edited:

JayMojave

Yes I stand corrected.

"JayMojave: The OP was referring to .5 as in half a mile."

Ten-4 a half mile something is not right, need to check the installation and radios, and SWR.

Maybe check each car with a base station to see how they are working and compare.

Thanks for the correction

Jay in the Mojave

ChetsJug

I'm willing to guess that someone is in Colorado by now. But I would like to add to this for tech ideas for those to come lol.

I had a Frontier pickup with a Hustler Mag Mount. I couldn't get the SWR down after moving the coax through the doorway. I opened up a spot weld under the plastic trim to let the coax through from the outside to inside.

It seems that coaxial does not like to get bent around sharp corners. The plastic stretches and the center wire comes too close to the shield and throws everything off. Coax getting pinched in doors causes more problems than most people know. Make sure the coax has smooth transitions through body panels and weatherstripping in doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.