RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > CB Radio Forum


CB Radio Forum - Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #181 (permalink)  
Old 07-13-2017, 9:37 AM
KK4JUG's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeeter19555 View Post
Most trucks come with antennas pre-installed, but that doesn't mean a radio was installed.

And further, a lot of companies have banned drivers from having a CB in their trucks.
One of my golfing partners owns a trucking company. He has Kenworths and Peterbilts. He said he doesn't recall a CB antenna (or radio) ever being offered as standard equipment. Perhaps it's for the reason you stated: "...a lot of companies have banned drivers from having a CB in their trucks." It would be money wasted.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #182 (permalink)  
Old 07-13-2017, 9:39 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 126
Default

I work in the field with truck drivers, and I can assure you they come pre-wired and pre-installed in most cases...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #183 (permalink)  
Old 07-13-2017, 1:41 PM
MCore25's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lone Star Republic
Posts: 2,520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeeter19555 View Post
I work in the field with truck drivers, and I can assure you they come pre-wired and pre-installed in most cases...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk


That's actually one of my biggest complaints. Freightliner SD series have the mobile bracket and a 10A ignition switched accessory pre-installed in most cases (did a install on a base model which didn't have the bracket the other day). The problem, freight rivets that bracket in and it's too wide to fit anything but full sized CBs and they are really a pain to install he radio in whether its a CB or LMR radio just because it's hard o get your hand in there. Peterbuilt on the other hand does a laughable CB factory install (even offering an in-house radio). The UHF connector is crimped on with regular crimpers…not hex crimpers made for the application.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
If a repeater IDs and no one is on frequency to hear it, does it even make a sound? Yes, because KC5MVZ is monitoring you…
Reply With Quote
  #184 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2017, 7:50 PM
Newbie
   
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1
Default CB IS NOT DEAD!

I can attest to the fact that CB is not dead. Here in the Seattle WA area we have several CB clubs with up to 500 members gettin' back on the ol' radio. In fact a lot of people are purchasing old time radios and surprised there are still CB'ers out there willing to rag chew. So don't be afraid to pick up a unit and giving it a try. Hey, ever vinyl records are making a come back! Sometimes newer isn't always better!

Lookin' forward to talking to you on the CB Rubber Duck!

Siverbullet, 753

Ted
Reply With Quote
  #185 (permalink)  
Old 07-26-2017, 5:41 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucpht View Post
I can attest to the fact that CB is not dead. Here in the Seattle WA area we have several CB clubs with up to 500 members gettin' back on the ol' radio. In fact a lot of people are purchasing old time radios and surprised there are still CB'ers out there willing to rag chew. So don't be afraid to pick up a unit and giving it a try. Hey, ever vinyl records are making a come back! Sometimes newer isn't always better!

Lookin' forward to talking to you on the CB Rubber Duck!

Siverbullet, 753

Ted
Good to know! I don't know if I'll ever put my CB radio back in my car, but I thought about using it to setup a small base station in my home office, because I live in an industrial area. I work remotely most of the week, and it seems like it might be fun to listen in, or engage, in any local chit-chat from time to time.

I was heavily into CB from 93-96, back in Kentucky, but when I moved out to the Seattle area, I lost interest, because there was very little traffic, and if I heard much it was pretty foul. I sold my really nice Uniden Grant XL setup as a result. I got interested again a couple years later, around '99, and bought a PC68XL, and after having it tuned & peaked I tried using it, but again found very little traffic. Nearly a decade later I moved my family to St. Louis, and being interested in storm chasing, I studied and got my HAM Technician license, but never really got around to using it.

I've been back in WA for five years, but only recently gave much thought to radio. I still have my PC68XL, which is what I plan to use for a little base station. I found an exit hole that I can use to run some coaxial out of my apt to an outside antenna, but I'll have to be discreet about it. This just might be fun!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #186 (permalink)  
Old 07-26-2017, 11:43 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucpht View Post
I can attest to the fact that CB is not dead. Here in the Seattle WA area we have several CB clubs with up to 500 members gettin' back on the ol' radio. In fact a lot of people are purchasing old time radios and surprised there are still CB'ers out there willing to rag chew. So don't be afraid to pick up a unit and giving it a try. Hey, ever vinyl records are making a come back! Sometimes newer isn't always better!

Lookin' forward to talking to you on the CB Rubber Duck!

Siverbullet, 753

Ted
I was amazed at the number of people who now frequent the CB radio forums on Facebook! Their member's lists just keep on growing!!
Reply With Quote
  #187 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2017, 9:42 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa.
Posts: 317
Default

Most CBers are now on 2 meter repeaters

All I ever hear these days on 2 meters are CBers that changed frequencies
Reply With Quote
  #188 (permalink)  
Old 07-31-2017, 6:23 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 82
Default

How do you know? Anyone could use a radio illegally.
Reply With Quote
  #189 (permalink)  
Old 07-31-2017, 7:04 AM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 143
Default

Still have a President AR-144 bought on Ebay as a tech special mounted in the car, trucks still heard here on 19 (nowhere near what it was back in the 70's though) and when the band is open it's fun to listen to distant signals. Hopefully the FCC will give final approval to dropping the 155 mile maximum range. Having a few CB radios around in case of an emergency is a good idea; have one of those GE Emergency radios also, popular back in the 80's just in case. They go real cheap these days, check out shopgoodwill.com for some good deals.
Reply With Quote
  #190 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2017, 7:28 AM
Ravenkeeper's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Antelope Valley, CA
Posts: 45
Default

The first time I was stationed at Edwards AFB (96-99, returned in 2004), channel 19 seemed to always be jumping. Finally, broke out my radio, new antenna and cable last week. I haven't heard a single peep out here, especially with as many trucks go through this area, using SR-14 & SR-58. I've driven out to Kramer Junction (SR-58 & SR-395), and it was still silent.

I know that "the locals" pretty much "ruled" channel 19 in San Diego, while I was growing up, and continued to do so in the late 90s. I haven't been down there, with my radio running, since I came back to the states in 2003, but I could almost imagine that they're still doing it.

Maybe, I'll break the silence today on my way home from work.
Reply With Quote
  #191 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2017, 10:14 AM
ladn's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenkeeper View Post
The first time I was stationed at Edwards AFB (96-99, returned in 2004), channel 19 seemed to always be jumping. Finally, broke out my radio, new antenna and cable last week. I haven't heard a single peep out here, especially with as many trucks go through this area, using SR-14 & SR-58. I've driven out to Kramer Junction (SR-58 & SR-395), and it was still silent.
I travel the 14/395 corridor at least once a month from Los Angeles to Lone Pine and keep CB 19 on in the background. I hear VERY little trucker traffic unless there's an accident or other unusual occurrence along the way. It's actually not a bad thing as I can remember years past with the noise floor through the roof and constant yammer across the band.
Reply With Quote
  #192 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2017, 10:31 AM
Ensnared's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Waco, Texas
Posts: 2,576
Default

I would like to illustrate that "some" in the industry are trying to move forward. I am waiting on the day when CB becomes digital.

https://www.uniden.com/automotive/cb...igital_Scanner
__________________
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!" Billy Connolly
Reply With Quote
  #193 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2017, 11:12 AM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the skeeters.
Posts: 1,458
Default

I think your wait will be a vveerrryyy long time. I don't think the industry nor the FCC will be making any significant changes to the CB band any time soon.
My self, I like to listen to it occasionally and find it helpful when travelling. I don't think it will die, because there are still many units being sold. If there weren't, the industry would've stop manufacturing quite a while back.
__________________
Freedom, a beautiful way of life.
Pro-107, Pro-44, Pro-94, Pro-2006, DX-440
YAESU FT-2900R, YAESU FT-101EE, RS HTX-202, ICOM IC-2AT, RS BTX-121, BAOFENG UV-5R
Reply With Quote
  #194 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2017, 11:28 AM
Ravenkeeper's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Antelope Valley, CA
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladn View Post
I travel the 14/395 corridor at least once a month from Los Angeles to Lone Pine and keep CB 19 on in the background. I hear VERY little trucker traffic unless there's an accident or other unusual occurrence along the way. It's actually not a bad thing as I can remember years past with the noise floor through the roof and constant yammer across the band.
Haven't made that run from here is a while. Keep telling the kids that we'll go to the hatchery in Lone Pine, do a halfway up Whitney hike, and go to Death Valley. Maybe, we'll catch each other out there, some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensnared View Post
I would like to illustrate that "some" in the industry are trying to move forward. I am waiting on the day when CB becomes digital.

https://www.uniden.com/automotive/cb...igital_Scanner
Yeah, I'd love to have a digital CB. (Where's the 'like' button?)
Reply With Quote
  #195 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2017, 11:29 AM
mmckenna's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: WTVLCA01DS0
Posts: 7,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenkeeper View Post
The first time I was stationed at Edwards AFB (96-99, returned in 2004), channel 19 seemed to always be jumping. Finally, broke out my radio, new antenna and cable last week. I haven't heard a single peep out here, especially with as many trucks go through this area, using SR-14 & SR-58. I've driven out to Kramer Junction (SR-58 & SR-395), and it was still silent.
Exact same thing I discovered in that area. 14, 58, I-10, I-15, I-5, US-395, quiet. Never heard anything around Kramer Junction. I figured I hear something along I10 and I15, but quiet. Even around Barstow, zilch.

Last time I ever really heard truckers talking was on I-5 between Stockton and Sacramento, and that was a few years ago.
Reply With Quote
  #196 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2017, 12:45 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongella View Post
Still have a President AR-144 bought on Ebay as a tech special mounted in the car, trucks still heard here on 19 (nowhere near what it was back in the 70's though) and when the band is open it's fun to listen to distant signals. Hopefully the FCC will give final approval to dropping the 155 mile maximum range. Having a few CB radios around in case of an emergency is a good idea; have one of those GE Emergency radios also, popular back in the 80's just in case. They go real cheap these days, check out shopgoodwill.com for some good deals.
In fact, the FCC just dropped the distance regulation for the citizens band! Those CB groups on Facebook were all buzzing about it.
Reply With Quote
  #197 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2017, 8:18 AM
Ensnared's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Waco, Texas
Posts: 2,576
Default "The CB Will Never Die"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenkeeper View Post
Haven't made that run from here is a while. Keep telling the kids that we'll go to the hatchery in Lone Pine, do a halfway up Whitney hike, and go to Death Valley. Maybe, we'll catch each other out there, some day.



Yeah, I'd love to have a digital CB. (Where's the 'like' button?)
I don't why the industry wouldn't make a digital CB because I am seeing more and more Ham digital being used. Talk about "getting out." Yes, I have around six CB units. I believe I have two Cobra 25 units one $35 Cobra 29 with modifications I picked up at Joplin Flying J. If people want to talk trash, it keeps me awake. If I want to get around road blockage, the truckers are great. I frequently help them by pinpointing opportunistic cops with radar/laser guns on my Passport Max II. On top of this, I have three digital police scanners to keep in touch of my environment. There are cable wires running everywhere. It drives others nuts, but I don't really care.

I am going to step out and borrow a phrase from the redneck persona John Bloom, aka "Joe Bog Briggs", "The CB will never die."
__________________
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!" Billy Connolly
Reply With Quote
  #198 (permalink)  
Old 10-05-2017, 9:01 PM
Ravenkeeper's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Antelope Valley, CA
Posts: 45
Talking IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
Exact same thing I discovered in that area. 14, 58, I-10, I-15, I-5, US-395, quiet. Never heard anything around Kramer Junction. I figured I hear something along I10 and I15, but quiet. Even around Barstow, zilch.

Last time I ever really heard truckers talking was on I-5 between Stockton and Sacramento, and that was a few years ago.
Well, this morning, I was on my way home, when I turned off of SR-58, and IT CAME ALIVE!!!!! Talked to a couple passerbys, this morning.
Reply With Quote
  #199 (permalink)  
Old 10-05-2017, 10:53 PM
mmckenna's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: WTVLCA01DS0
Posts: 7,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensnared View Post
I don't why the industry wouldn't make a digital CB because I am seeing more and more Ham digital being used.
It's not the industry, it's the FCC. The FCC hasn't allowed it, so it can't be legally used and radios that support it cannot be legally sold in the USA.

What should have happened in the 1980's is that FM should have been permitted. Many other countries allow FM on CB. That results in cleaner audio, the use of CTCSS/DCS squelches, etc. Since it's allowed in other countries, the radios exist. Problem is, since it's not allowed in the USA by the FCC, the radios cannot be granted a type acceptance to make them legal for sale.

But, yeah, eventually digital will happen, but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it. The FCC will need to get enough pressure from the public to make it happen. Most of all, someone is going to need to decide on a standard. The standard needs to be robust and cheap.

And that's the big issue Amateur Radio has, there are many digital modes in use on VHF and UHF, problem is none of them are compatible with the others. So, a bunch of digital radios, but they cannot all talk in digital mode. Manufacturers have taken to giving repeaters away to clubs to generate interest. That results in people buying a specific brand digital radio. That's great, but it creates digital "islands". Fine for the ham crowd. Most will claim their chosen mode is the best. As usual, ask 10 people and you'll get 11 different answers.

Digital CB, eventually. FM on CB, something you could push the FCC on now. The CB die-hards should really band together and start pushing the FCC on that.
Reply With Quote
  #200 (permalink)  
Old 10-05-2017, 10:54 PM
mmckenna's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: WTVLCA01DS0
Posts: 7,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenkeeper View Post
Well, this morning, I was on my way home, when I turned off of SR-58, and IT CAME ALIVE!!!!! Talked to a couple passerbys, this morning.
That's good to hear. I've passed through there a couple of times now and nothing. Must be at the wrong times.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions