RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum - Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2017, 8:37 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeeter19555 View Post
Most trucks come with antennas pre-installed, but that doesn't mean a radio was installed.

And further, a lot of companies have banned drivers from having a CB in their trucks.
One of my golfing partners owns a trucking company. He has Kenworths and Peterbilts. He said he doesn't recall a CB antenna (or radio) ever being offered as standard equipment. Perhaps it's for the reason you stated: "...a lot of companies have banned drivers from having a CB in their trucks." It would be money wasted.
Sponsored links
Old 07-13-2017, 8:39 AM

I work in the field with truck drivers, and I can assure you they come pre-wired and pre-installed in most cases...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2017, 12:41 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeeter19555 View Post
I work in the field with truck drivers, and I can assure you they come pre-wired and pre-installed in most cases...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

That's actually one of my biggest complaints. Freightliner SD series have the mobile bracket and a 10A ignition switched accessory pre-installed in most cases (did a install on a base model which didn't have the bracket the other day). The problem, freight rivets that bracket in and it's too wide to fit anything but full sized CBs and they are really a pain to install he radio in whether its a CB or LMR radio just because it's hard o get your hand in there. Peterbuilt on the other hand does a laughable CB factory install (even offering an in-house radio). The UHF connector is crimped on with regular crimpers…not hex crimpers made for the application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2017, 6:50 PM

Default CB IS NOT DEAD!

I can attest to the fact that CB is not dead. Here in the Seattle WA area we have several CB clubs with up to 500 members gettin' back on the ol' radio. In fact a lot of people are purchasing old time radios and surprised there are still CB'ers out there willing to rag chew. So don't be afraid to pick up a unit and giving it a try. Hey, ever vinyl records are making a come back! Sometimes newer isn't always better!

Lookin' forward to talking to you on the CB Rubber Duck!

Siverbullet, 753

Ted
Old 07-26-2017, 4:41 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucpht View Post
I can attest to the fact that CB is not dead. Here in the Seattle WA area we have several CB clubs with up to 500 members gettin' back on the ol' radio. In fact a lot of people are purchasing old time radios and surprised there are still CB'ers out there willing to rag chew. So don't be afraid to pick up a unit and giving it a try. Hey, ever vinyl records are making a come back! Sometimes newer isn't always better!

Siverbullet, 753

Ted
Good to know! I don't know if I'll ever put my CB radio back in my car, but I thought about using it to setup a small base station in my home office, because I live in an industrial area. I work remotely most of the week, and it seems like it might be fun to listen in, or engage, in any local chit-chat from time to time.

I was heavily into CB from 93-96, back in Kentucky, but when I moved out to the Seattle area, I lost interest, because there was very little traffic, and if I heard much it was pretty foul. I sold my really nice Uniden Grant XL setup as a result. I got interested again a couple years later, around '99, and bought a PC68XL, and after having it tuned & peaked I tried using it, but again found very little traffic. Nearly a decade later I moved my family to St. Louis, and being interested in storm chasing, I studied and got my HAM Technician license, but never really got around to using it.

I've been back in WA for five years, but only recently gave much thought to radio. I still have my PC68XL, which is what I plan to use for a little base station. I found an exit hole that I can use to run some coaxial out of my apt to an outside antenna, but I'll have to be discreet about it. This just might be fun!
Sponsored links
Old 07-26-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucpht View Post

Siverbullet, 753

Ted
I was amazed at the number of people who now frequent the CB radio forums on Facebook! Their member's lists just keep on growing!!
Old 07-30-2017, 8:42 PM

Most CBers are now on 2 meter repeaters

All I ever hear these days on 2 meters are CBers that changed frequencies
Old 07-31-2017, 5:23 AM

How do you know? Anyone could use a radio illegally.
Old 07-31-2017, 6:04 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Still have a President AR-144 bought on Ebay as a tech special mounted in the car, trucks still heard here on 19 (nowhere near what it was back in the 70's though) and when the band is open it's fun to listen to distant signals. Hopefully the FCC will give final approval to dropping the 155 mile maximum range. Having a few CB radios around in case of an emergency is a good idea; have one of those GE Emergency radios also, popular back in the 80's just in case. They go real cheap these days, check out shopgoodwill.com for some good deals.