RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum - Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2018, 9:09 PM

It really depends on your location. Some places are active, some are quiet.
If you are lucky enough to live in a location where traffic is active, then CB is a great resource.
If you don't, then it's not as useful as some other radio services.

I live in a location with almost no CB activity, even though there are many terminals in the area picking up produce and shipping it across country. I had a CB in my truck for a while, and never heard anything.
Very occasionally while out on the interstates, I'd hear a few guys talking. Other than that, it was just skip coming in, which I really had little interest in listening to.

Sounds like you are one of the lucky ones. With a good setup, it's still fun.
Sponsored links
Old 06-29-2018, 12:55 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4JUG View Post
I keep the CB in a box on the back seat just in case. It's the Cobra "all the works in the mic" model so I can get on the air very quickly if I have to.
What sort of antenna are you using? I question those type of radios a bit, but have only seen them packaged with lousy antennas.

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2018, 8:29 AM

Default Traffic and CB

The fellow that commented about truckers coming alive on CB when traffic gets thick, rules keeping them on the super slab with other route options not allowed, but for the rest of us, the smart phone is the number one accessory, with someone along to operate it. When I am driving my wife monitors road traffic just by searching for traffic on whatever road we are on, and vice-versa. We have avoided so many wrecks and by-passable construction zones, it has paid for itself a hundred times over by not wasting gas and time. We are also old school in that we keep a Rand McNally next to the seat. People today are so ignorant of how most interstates parallel or are close within a few miles to the original US Highway system, even given enough warning, they will sit in traffic for an hour instead of venturing off, apparently fearful of the chances of having to deal with normal folks in the area, with a Deliverance and Justified(TV show) view of us off the beaten path.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:22 AM

Yeah, that part about having someone along to operate the smart phone (or computer, etc) is hard to overcome when there's no passengers in the cab.

I still use the CB as my main problem alarm and fixer. It's a one-operator solution that helps a lot over the years / miles. It doesn't require you to take your eyes off the road either.

I saw in the New Orleans press just today about a guy being charged with negligent homicide because his vehicle wandered off into the opposing lane while he was fooling around with his smart phone. Bad ju-ju.
Old 06-29-2018, 1:30 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have 2 Cobra 2000's and a 148 all in boxes in my bedroom closet. No need to take them out. No one to talk to in Los Angeles. Just dead air.

I think there are those with a lot of money invested in CB radio who would say ANYTHING to keep money coming into their shops and repair places. Some of those guys would be nothing without CB. Homeless maybe.
Old 06-29-2018, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrogoth13 View Post
I think there are those with a lot of money invested in CB radio who would say ANYTHING to keep money coming into their shops and repair places. Some of those guys would be nothing without CB. Homeless maybe.
First: I do not run a CB sales or repair shop. I am a normal dude who is using a Galaxy DX 959 as a home based radio that is hooked to a 22", 5/8 wave Wilson roof top antenna. I live on a mountain side at 1400 meters and have a unobstructed view of everything to the south and east; hence, the ability to pick up many US ops during skips and truckers who still chatter on the CB. I have a second Galaxy 959 in my pick up and the wife has a (second hand) 1998 Uniden in her car.

We have a local seven member group in our area who have installed and use CBs because of the present lack of idiot CBers who just want to be as*holes by screwing up someone else's communications. We have a well respected rule that if truckers are on 19, we don't cut in. We just move to another designated channel.

If the CB is as dead as some like to preach, why am I picking up so many signals from other CBers (mostly US)? I now believe that the CB may be slowly coming back because the hackers and idiots have, for the most part, disappeared leaving clean airways again.

Les (AKA.... SnowWalker) Rossland BC
Old 06-29-2018, 3:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWalker View Post
First: I do not run a CB sales or repair shop. I am a normal dude who is using a Galaxy DX 959 as a home based radio that is hooked to a 22", 5/8 wave Wilson roof top antenna. I live on a mountain side at 1400 meters and have a unobstructed view of everything to the south and east; hence, the ability to pick up many US ops during skips and truckers who still chatter on the CB. I have a second Galaxy 959 in my pick up and the wife has a (second hand) 1998 Uniden in her car.

If the CB is as dead as some like to preach, why am I picking up so many signals from other CBers (mostly US)? I now believe that the CB may be slowly coming back because the hackers and idiots have, for the most part, disappeared leaving clean airways again.

Les (AKA.... SnowWalker) Rossland BC
You answered your question in the first paragraph. You have an ideal location. You could probably even use a handheld for local communications from there. You're picking up signals from several hundred square miles and probably with little or no interference. Go down to sea level and, as they say, "your mileage may vary."
Old 06-29-2018, 3:16 PM

CB ain't dead here, there's skip from USA almost daily as we're in the E-sporadic season.
There has been an increase in activity also locally and i hear traffic every time i go listening to the old cb band especially in the evening.
Old 06-29-2018, 3:18 PM

599 said that BBAH BBAH BBAH !!!
Old 06-29-2018, 3:23 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
You answered your question in the first paragraph. You have an ideal location. You could probably even use a handheld for local communications from there. You're picking up signals from several hundred square miles and probably with little or no interference. Go down to sea level and, as they say, "your mileage may vary."
I have yo agree with you in all points KK4JUG. I do live in a dream location for those who like to just sit in and listen.
Old 06-29-2018, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599 View Post
599 said that BBAH BBAH BBAH !!!
LOL. I hear that handle at least a dozen times per week. Yu never answer to a response however.
Old 06-29-2018, 4:54 PM

Quote:
I stick with the 2m/.70m when I'm on the road. There's occasionally some activity there
Has you looked into DMR? You can get a cheap hotspot in your vehicle that uses your cell phones WIFI hotspot, and you can talk on DMR all over the world using the BrandMeister network. Lots of fun. You'll never be alone again on the road. All of them are licensed hams.
Old 06-29-2018, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill4long View Post
Has you looked into DMR? You can get a cheap hotspot in your vehicle that uses your cell phones WIFI hotspot, and you can talk on DMR all over the world using the BrandMeister network. Lots of fun. You'll never be alone again on the road. All of them are licensed hams.
Good point! With a wifi hotspot, he could talk all over the world via EchoLink!! Introducing EchoLink
Old 06-30-2018, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrogoth13 View Post
I have 2 Cobra 2000's and a 148 all in boxes in my bedroom closet. No need to take them out. No one to talk to in Los Angeles. Just dead air.

Since CB is dead in LA I'll drive down next weekend and take them off your hands to help free up space in your bedroom closet.
Old 06-30-2018, 8:26 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I recently retired from trucking and switched my Galaxy's (10&11m) from my Freightliner to my 2016 Winnebago Via 25T and also recently bought a Uniden BearTracker 885 Hybrid CB/Digital Scanner to add to my radios. Going to be giving the new CB a try on a trip from OH to San Diego in August. Doing the state park tour on the way back, then a voyage to Alaska next summer. I have the Galaxy DX-949 for CB and the Galaxy DX98-VHP 200-watt for 10m and they are both tried and true workhorses. My radio inventory for the RV will end up being:

Uniden BearTracker 885 Hybrid CB/Digital Scanner
Galaxy DX-949 40-ch CB
Galaxy DX98-VHP 10m
Whistler WS-1065 Digital Scanner
Uniden BCD536HP Digital Scanner
Whistler TRX-1 Digital Scanner
Uniden SDS100 Digital Scanner

I will be feeding from directional yagi via Stridex multi-coupler for scanners
Antron 99 collapsible for CBs while stationary
Firestik thru coupler while mobile

I don't ever count CB radio as down and out, for when all else fails and most communications go kaput, you'll still have Fatboy on the CB from the great state of Texas to listen to!!
Old 06-30-2018, 11:31 AM

Default Give me a shout

Hey Fatboy, if you ever get lost and end up in the NW area, namely Washington state or the Spokane area, give old Snow Walker a shout. On even a weak skip day, I pick up Spokane at about six to ten pounds. Better still, if you get up into BC, straight north of Spokane, there could be a cup of coffee waiting.

From an old and worn out OTR Trucker.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpaceMann View Post
Good point! With a wifi hotspot, he could talk all over the world via EchoLink!! Introducing EchoLink
I don't care for EchoLink, but DMR has become very good via the BrandMeister network.
Old 06-30-2018, 2:13 PM

I hope cb does not die I have to many radios!!!!!
Old 06-30-2018, 2:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill4long View Post
I usually travel alone. I'm reluctant to complicate things because there is already enough to occupy my attention. It seems I also spend a lot of time in areas with limited cellular coverage (KY mountains, Okefenokee Swamp, etc.

In addition, I'd rather talk with locals while I'm on the road.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:27 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by swen_out_west View Post
Since CB is dead in LA I'll drive down next weekend and take them off your hands to help free up space in your bedroom closet.

Oh no you don't. I like my radios. Besides what would I practice soldering on without them?