• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Solarcon A-108PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

comoman

Premium Subscriber
Anyone had any experience with a Solarcon A-108PM antenna yet? It probably doesn't have much gain, as short as it is. I would like to put an antenna on my RAM 1500 but I've got to be able to park it under a carport. I'm just going to use it for local talking. It will handle up to 50 watts but I don't need that much power. 5 to 10 watts will work for me.

milkman21218

As short as it is it won't even do a very good job talking local. A 1/4 wave CB antenna is 108". And all mobile CB antennas are this length. They are shorter because the wire was wrapped up to make it shorter. But at 8" it's the size of a Walkie Talkie antenna it just doesn't go very far. Maybe a mile at best. Longer is better. You would do better with a Lil Wil or K-30.

comoman

Premium Subscriber
As short as it is it won't even do a very good job talking local. A 1/4 wave CB antenna is 108". And all mobile CB antennas are this length. They are shorter because the wire was wrapped up to make it shorter. But at 8" it's the size of a Walkie Talkie antenna it just doesn't go very far. Maybe a mile at best. Longer is better. You would do better with a Lil Wil or K-30.

I've looked at 2' long 5/8 wave CB antenna but anything longer than that would be a problem parking under a carport.

milkman21218

All I can say is with a short antenna you will not talk very far with 2'. Why not just remove an antenna when parking? Many of us do. Ask yourself this. Do I really want to talk around town or not? Like I said in my other post CB really needs a long antenna. And one too short just won't get the job done. You can use whatever you like. But you really won't like how it performs if you can't get the distance that you want.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Antennas that are a lot shorter than the wavelength work poorly on transmit and receive. You may be able to get SWR low, but you're still not going to get much range.

Your only choices are crappy reception or removal before parking. Or park outside the carport.

SCPD

QRT
I think you would have much better range putting a 1/4 wave off the front or rear bumper, instead of using that antenna.
Even with a good 5/8ths on the roof, you may be able to slowly pull in and out of the carport without no damage to the antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.