RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum - Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2014, 6:59 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Two Old Time Clubs - SSB Network, Trans Canada Radio

I was rummaging around my junk drawer, where all my certificates , warranty stuff and semi-official papers go. I needed some information about my amateur radio call sign. When I got near to the bottom of the drawer, I found certificates for two clubs that I believe are long dead and gone. Neither had seen the light of day for years and years.

The SSB Network (my ID no. was 64L)
Trans Canada Radio (my ID no. was 8174)

I searched "the Google" and found nothing.

Does anyone remember either of these? SSB Network was around in the 1960s. I'm not sure about Trans Canada.
Sponsored links
Old 09-15-2014, 8:03 PM

I believe the SSB Network died about 10 years ago when CRB Research Books (the company that was issuing the SSB Network calls at the time) went belly up. I got my SSB Network call sometime around 1995-1996, and I think CRB folded about 10 years later. 73, David, SSB-112F.
Old 09-15-2014, 8:26 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

i think my id was from the national ssb network .... ssb-107z
Old 09-16-2014, 1:53 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaesu_dave View Post
I believe the SSB Network died about 10 years ago when CRB Research Books (the company that was issuing the SSB Network calls at the time) went belly up. I got my SSB Network call sometime around 1995-1996, and I think CRB folded about 10 years later. 73, David, SSB-112F.
There you go. I didn't expect that too many people would remember these groups. Both were formed in the daze before the Internets. Talking all around the world on sideband pushed me to get my amateur licence. Every once in a while I get the urge to fire up my old Navaho, but the wife keeps me too busy...

All the best.
Old 09-16-2014, 6:50 PM

Back in the mid to late 70's, I was assigned SSB-976

As a side note, I used to read S9 Magazine and I saw a lot of writers & contributers using a KW ID

I wrote to Tom Kneitel, the editor of S9, and inquired about the KWs

He graciously wrote back and told me that the KW IDs were in the NYC area

Since I lived upstate [in Rochester], I didn't technically qualify for one

But he was able to get me a KW ID, using my SSB# as a basis/fudge/hedge

Even though I've never made it to the Apple, I am KW-7276, similar/linked to my SSB-976 ID

Thank You Tom!

On another side note, does anyone remember the AM Unit Numbers?

Unit 201-Kilo here
ICOM F4GT-2 Realistic DX-400
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2014, 8:57 PM

SSB-78E QRZ ???
Old 09-20-2014, 4:07 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

SSB-83T through CRB Research back in the 90's.
I also have the KAZ7FA Monitor Station Registry through CRB Research.

Tom Knietel passed away some time ago. I have an autographed copy of his "Tomcat's Big CB Handbook", which I believe I also purchased through CRB Research about the same time.

ARS - KB7MIB
GMRS - WPXJ-598 (ex KAE-7927)
SSB Network - SSB-83T
Monitor Station Registry - KAZ7FA
Old 11-05-2014, 1:10 PM

Default SSB Network

Just found my old membership card member number was 56Z issued back in June 1990, surprising what you will find inside old owner manuals for CB radios and scanners.
Old 11-06-2014, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meplat View Post
I was rummaging around my junk drawer, where all my certificates , warranty stuff and semi-official papers go. I needed some information about my amateur radio call sign. When I got near to the bottom of the drawer, I found certificates for two clubs that I believe are long dead and gone. Neither had seen the light of day for years and years.

The SSB Network (my ID no. was 64L)
Trans Canada Radio (my ID no. was 8174)

I searched "the Google" and found nothing.

Does anyone remember either of these? SSB Network was around in the 1960s. I'm not sure about Trans Canada.
Hi. I remember the Trans Canada Radio Club quite well. Was a member. My club number was 4796. I've been trying to search out old contacts as well. Pretty much came to a dead end... I still have a listing of all the members somewhere, including newsletters, badges, etc. Cheers!
Old 01-04-2015, 8:53 AM

I have been scouring the internet for information on the old CB club Trans Canada radio for the last 4 years or so. This is the first reference I have seen! Hence the long post below....:-)
I still have the jacket patch, club stamp and QSL cards....i never saw the newletters or a member roster.

I was a member #TCR2680 and was active on CB from the early 70's into the late 80s. and have wondered what happend to the club? It was very active and poof gone....Weird as you can run about anything on the net and find information but the CB scene in the Toronto and surrounding area doesnt exist....

There was a SSB group that hung on the 28 that called themselved TIS ( Totally Insignifigant stations) and whatever happened to them ( they were something else to listen to...lol ), or the regulars on the dime (Channel 10 ) as it was extremely active. If I remeber correctly the TCR checkins were on SSB 38.

Any information would be great.

Retroradio
Old 01-04-2015, 10:26 AM

Yes,I remember the SSB Network.It was huge.Talked to many members via skip.SSB-41 was my call.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:03 AM

Does anyone remember the "Satellite" network, run by Pop down in Venezuela? He was an old Georgia peanut farmer living down there, and had great check-in's many weekends. Venezuela/Colombia are both 11m sweet spots for the SE US.

In the same vein, there was the "Charlie Michael" (If I remember correctly) group up in the Canadian Maritime Provinces. They were a group of nice folks.

These ops were friendly and professional people who were welcoming also. They never did, or would have , interfered with another service.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:02 PM

SSB-116L was mine.I've always wondered how many members there actually was in the Ssb Network.
Old 01-04-2015, 2:07 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Charlie MICHAEL was a a few years ago still on the internet. The old s9 cb magazine, I believe you can read old copies on the internet...
CBRADIOMAGAZINE has copies of the old s9 cb magazine 32 issues, a fun to read from years ago..

DOCTOR/795

Last edited by doctor795; 01-04-2015 at 2:14 PM..
Old 01-04-2015, 3:44 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the skeeters.
Default Mine was SSB-84N at the network club.

It's been many years since I've talked to anyone who was a member. I'm sure they folded.
Also, wasn't their hq some where in Italy?
The other day I found about 110 of my qsl cards left over.
Old 01-08-2015, 6:21 PM

Anyone point in the direction of any info on the web about Trans Canada Radio or stories etc.... about the CB scene in the Toronto area mid 70's to early 90's?

S9 Magazine was always a good read and back in the day there was a magazine called Canadian Transciever. I havent found any mention of them on the web either. Anyone remember it?
Old 02-08-2015, 10:22 AM

Bump...
Looking for copies of the newsletters, roster etc... for Trans Canada radio.....Anyone point me in the right direction?
Still looking for stories, anecdotes etc.... of the radio scene in Toronto . Ontario canada and its surrounding area. Anyone????
Old 03-21-2015, 5:47 PM

Anyone?????? ( looks at the tumbleweeds roll by....) Anyone point me in the right direction on the web for information on Trans Canada radio or any articles on the CB scene in Toronto 76-90 era?
Old 03-22-2015, 1:41 PM

When the skip allows. Sometimes I'll hear a Radio Canada call sign being called out. But that's it. Most of those members were in Manitoba. Sorry. It's all I got.
Old 04-16-2015, 7:47 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

SSB-411D checking back in to the network, lol. Take care es...

Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI