• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Does the yaesu ft-817nd transmit on 11m cb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evgeni

Anyone that has the YAESU FT-817ND, do you know it can transmit on 11M CB?

sloop

If you do the MARS modification the FT-817ND will transmit on the CB frequencies...BUT, the performance will be less than that of a made for CB radio. The little radio is 'finicky', it doesn't like to transmit outside of its factory specifications at full power. It will do the MARS freq. ok, but they are not as far outside the regular amateur freq. as the CB freq. Don't let some 'Golder Screwdriver' try to 'tweek' the power output the this radio. The 817 is far more complicated than the typical CB and the radio WAS NOT designed to run more than its 5 watts. Because of the expense of the radio and other problems that I have (and have not) mentioned, I would get a regular CB radio, it will be cheaper and more reliable. Are you not proud of me? I did not say anything about the legality of using the radio on CB freq. OOPS, I did didn't I...o'well sorry. Good luck.

PACNWDude

+1 FT-817ND

I agree with the previous poster, do not try to tweak this radio for more power.

Also do not leave AA batteries inside of it for months without usage. Get an external amp and antenna tuner for this radio.

Makes a great low power radio for the bands it was intended for. Outside of those bands, it is weak. A lot of features and functions were packed into a very small package. It makes a great backpack radio for mountaintop use.

Mine has worked well for many years now.

prcguy

The power output on a mars modded 817 is fairly consistent over the entire HF band but the radio is not known for good sounding AM on transmit. The stock mic is a bit muffled sounding and the radio will not achieve the same level and density of AM modulation that most stock CBs will do.

The 817s receiver is probably better than most CBs, especially in SSB mode with the optional Collins mechanical filter.
prcguy

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
And it is not intended for use on CB frequencies. After all it is an amateur transceiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.