RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum - Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2015, 1:34 AM

Default Does the yaesu ft-817nd transmit on 11m cb?

Anyone that has the YAESU FT-817ND, do you know it can transmit on 11M CB?
Sponsored links
Old 04-17-2015, 3:13 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I think a search on Goggle will give you information
Old 04-17-2015, 10:16 AM

Talking

If you do the MARS modification the FT-817ND will transmit on the CB frequencies...BUT, the performance will be less than that of a made for CB radio. The little radio is 'finicky', it doesn't like to transmit outside of its factory specifications at full power. It will do the MARS freq. ok, but they are not as far outside the regular amateur freq. as the CB freq. Don't let some 'Golder Screwdriver' try to 'tweek' the power output the this radio. The 817 is far more complicated than the typical CB and the radio WAS NOT designed to run more than its 5 watts. Because of the expense of the radio and other problems that I have (and have not) mentioned, I would get a regular CB radio, it will be cheaper and more reliable. Are you not proud of me? I did not say anything about the legality of using the radio on CB freq. OOPS, I did didn't I...o'well sorry. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:21 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Default +1 FT-817ND

I agree with the previous poster, do not try to tweak this radio for more power.

Also do not leave AA batteries inside of it for months without usage. Get an external amp and antenna tuner for this radio.

Makes a great low power radio for the bands it was intended for. Outside of those bands, it is weak. A lot of features and functions were packed into a very small package. It makes a great backpack radio for mountaintop use.

Mine has worked well for many years now.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:12 AM

The power output on a mars modded 817 is fairly consistent over the entire HF band but the radio is not known for good sounding AM on transmit. The stock mic is a bit muffled sounding and the radio will not achieve the same level and density of AM modulation that most stock CBs will do.

The 817s receiver is probably better than most CBs, especially in SSB mode with the optional Collins mechanical filter.
prcguy
Sponsored links
Old 04-17-2015, 2:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

And it is not intended for use on CB frequencies. After all it is an amateur transceiver.

Tags
cb radio, ft-817 nd, yaesu