RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum - Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2017, 3:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

If you are getting paid to talk on it, odds are you are a radio user-the 'operator' was/is the guy staring at the scope and/or meters. Think about it-most of the voices we hear over the scanner are people who use radios in their job (or other activity). They may change 'channels' or even frequency (piolets)- but if anything goes wrong they get the radio 'operator' to fix it.

Although Amateur Radio is getting to be the same way, the rules still say amateur can adjust, and even build their own stations. The only problem is if you try to meet the features of today's radios without custom IC and the like, your 'radio' is likely to be expensive and a bity on the large side. Most hams not only buy their radios, they don't have the equipment to get into the radio -which now requires a magnifying glass (or scope) to even see the parts. The rules still say the operator is responsible for proper operation -and 'I didn't know' doesn't go very far-an operator is supposed to know.
Sponsored links
Old 06-08-2017, 6:21 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyShack View Post
If you are getting paid to talk on it, odds are you are a radio user-the 'operator' was/is the guy staring at the scope and/or meters. Think about it-most of the voices we hear over the scanner are people who use radios in their job (or other activity). They may change 'channels' or even frequency (piolets)- but if anything goes wrong they get the radio 'operator' to fix it.

Although Amateur Radio is getting to be the same way, the rules still say amateur can adjust, and even build their own stations. The only problem is if you try to meet the features of today's radios without custom IC and the like, your 'radio' is likely to be expensive and a bity on the large side. Most hams not only buy their radios, they don't have the equipment to get into the radio -which now requires a magnifying glass (or scope) to even see the parts. The rules still say the operator is responsible for proper operation -and 'I didn't know' doesn't go very far-an operator is supposed to know.
Nothing says that in homebrewing one has to meet the features of a current production line transceiver. Yes, that would be impractical in most cases.
Nonetheless, one can still homebrew different types of rigs and one is only limited by their knowledge, ability, etc. Some homebrew rigs are very simple. Some I have seen are quite sophisticated in design and more a labor of love than a value!
I have an Elecraft K1 I built and eventually got all the possible options for it. I could have bought a pretty decent more full featured transceiver for what I have into it but that wasn't the point of it.

For the most part it is more appliance operating these days than when I got started in it. Just the way things go I guess.

I think the professional vs. amateur thing dates back to the earlier years of amateur radio and speaks to the use of Morse code by telegraphers that did it for a living vs. the amateur ham radio operator hobbyists of the same era.

Last edited by K7MH; 06-08-2017 at 6:36 PM..

Tags
ham. cb