RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum - Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzdiesel View Post
We went out & found some of these radical guys using the S-Meters in our mobiles. Some would stop just because of being pointed put publicly.
The biggest problem came from the clowns who would go around in their mobiles or on their portables, throwing carriers and cussing everyone out! The only reason that some of them even went on the air, was just to insult other CBers and cause fights and chaos!
Sponsored links
Old 02-06-2016, 4:35 PM

Used to hear a lot of people spouting off but never heard of anyone actually putting pins in coax, fisticuffs etc.... There were club rivalries and I know that the crew that hung out on lower 28SSB were either loved or not.( Toronto 80s-early 90s) The trouble makers, carrier throwers were called carps. Anyone remember that term or was that a Toronto thing?
Old 02-06-2016, 5:21 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

It's a new one on me Retro. There were a few pins around here put in coax back in the day.
Old 02-06-2016, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzdiesel View Post
It's a new one on me Retro. There were a few pins around here put in coax back in the day.
They mostly just tried to cut the coax, because they could be on and off the roof within seconds. The real crazies would actually try to tear down the entire antenna!
Old 02-06-2016, 8:27 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The evils here liked using the pins because they were hard to find in the coax.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB7MIB View Post
My dad was KBKF9922, and used the handle "Firebear" as he was a fire police officer with a volunteer fire company in our township in PA.

On the AM channels, most users have a made up handle. The FCC does encourage users to use a callsign of sorts. Under rule 17, one of the suggestions is to use the K prefix, your initials, and your residence ZIP code. Mine then would be KJHG85345. I'm not aware of any users who actually follow that suggestion.

https://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/cit...and-cb-service

SSB users may belong to a local or regional club, and are issued a 'callsign' through that club. That callsign of course carries no legal weight as an FCC issued callsign would.

Years ago, I acquired the callsign SSB-83T through the SSB Network. I believe that that national group no longer exists.

John
Peoria, AZ
FWIW: The SSB Network folded about 15 years ago. I got my call (SSB-112F) late in 1995, and at that time CRB Research Books was issuing the callsigns. When CRB folded sometime around Y2K, that was the end of the SSB Network calls as well. 73, David SSB-112F.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpaceMann View Post
They mostly just tried to cut the coax, because they could be on and off the roof within seconds. The real crazies would actually try to tear down the entire antenna!
Oh yeah, things were pretty crazy during CB's heyday in the 70's and early1980's here in Northern Utah. I've heard of at least one person whose antenna was torn down after he pissed off the locals one too many times, and another that was shot because of an argument that started on CB. Nowadays people just take out their frustrations by flaming each other on the internet.
Old 02-07-2016, 5:07 PM

I miss those days
Old 02-07-2016, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kma371 View Post
Citizens Band radio is not licensed in the United States, so there are no callsigns, unless you make up one yourself.
I wish the FCC would allow a higher operating wattage.After all,not everyone can afford a couple of thousand,on 10 meters.
Old 02-07-2016, 8:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWarrior View Post
I wish the FCC would allow a higher operating wattage.After all,not everyone can afford a couple of thousand,on 10 meters.
Last time I looked, 10 m radios could be obtained for a lot less than coupe of thousands. Anything wrong with doing it properly? That was the problem with "handles", ie: no control.
Old 02-07-2016, 8:47 PM

True to a point but,it comes a time you will need to make a compromise because of $$
Old 02-07-2016, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWarrior View Post
For any given power and quality level it cost the same on 10 meters as on CB. For that matter it cost essentially NOTHING (if you have a good junk box, maybe $15 if you have to buy parts new) to convert your CB to 10 meter operation.

Of course you CAN spend thousands on ham gear, but you do not have to. Some very good HF transmitters, with 100 Watts and covering all HF bands, not just 10 meters, can be had for under $1000.

T!
Old 02-07-2016, 11:23 PM

You use whatever you like... I used to be "TA32"
Old 02-08-2016, 12:57 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Side Band Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0bus View Post
Hello,
I'm brand new to CB radio and I was wanting to ask how CB call signs are assigned? I'm under the impression that SSBer's (Single Side Band users) are the primary users of call signs and was wondering how they are assigned?
Thank you
Back in the late 70's thru the 80's SSBers would ask informal state clubs for a side band number. I remember Whiskey, Tango and Xray numbers. If you lived in Pa then you would ask for a 2W101 number. (example). The 2 meant Pennsylvania. If you lived in Ohio you asked for a 17W number. The numbers in front of the W were the order in which your state entered the Union. Pa was 2, Ohio was the 17th state, WVa was the 35th state so they were 35w101 or any number you received after the W. I was in charge of the X-Ray club in Ohio. I issued numbers to any one requesting one. My number was 17X01. The main purpose for the numbers was that you could tell what state somebody was in when talking skip. I was always below ch 1 or above ch 40 on LSB. Only way to get away from the crazies...
Old 02-08-2016, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcool101 View Post
Back in the late 70's thru the 80's SSBers would ask informal state clubs for a side band number. I remember Whiskey, Tango and Xray numbers. If you lived in Pa then you would ask for a 2W101 number. (example). The 2 meant Pennsylvania. If you lived in Ohio you asked for a 17W number. The numbers in front of the W were the order in which your state entered the Union. Pa was 2, Ohio was the 17th state, WVa was the 35th state so they were 35w101 or any number you received after the W. I was in charge of the X-Ray club in Ohio. I issued numbers to any one requesting one. My number was 17X01. The main purpose for the numbers was that you could tell what state somebody was in when talking skip. I was always below ch 1 or above ch 40 on LSB. Only way to get away from the crazies...
Yep, the "Freeband" frequencies! That started when people began modifying some 40 channel CB radios to get "uppers"!
Sponsored links
Old 02-08-2016, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Yep, the "Freeband" frequencies! That started when people began modifying some 40 channel CB radios to get "uppers"!
It started well before 40 channel radios were around. What was eventually called "outbanding" or "freebanding", illegal operation on frequencies not authorized for CB service, was around from day one of CB.

The CB band was a ham band prior to 1958, and it was not unusual to find people using ham gear on the band, since when CB started such gear was more available and common than purpose built CBs. These radios went between channels and above / below the legal channels easily, no modification required.

In the days of purely crystal controlled radios it was a simple matter to swap a crystal and get whatever freq you wanted. Some 23 channel radios came with a 24 or 25 channel switch, ostensibly for other uses, for example some radios put the "PA" function on these positions, but often these could make use of the freqs between channel 22 and channel 23 (there is a 2 channel wide gap between 22 and 23). These channels became known as 23A and 23B, indeed at least one radio brand came with the dial marked so.

Higher end rigs, like the Tram D201 (and later the 40 channel version, D201A) and Browning Eagles often used a crystal controlled transmitter and a receiver with a VFO. The receiver tuning bandwidth was normally wider than the legal channels allowed, tuning well above and below the legal 23 or 40 channels. With several of these rigs it was a pretty simple mod to allow the VFO to control both TX and RX, allowing you to transmit on any freq the VFO could tune to.

And then the PLL rigs came out a little before 40 channel operation became legal. With PLLs people found it was often possible to tie one pin high or low on the PLL and get "extra" channels. Yes, you could do it on 23 channel radios also, but shortly after PLLs became the norm the FCC authorized 40 channel operation.

Before microproc controlled rigs almost every radio could be easily modified to outband.

T!
Old 02-08-2016, 8:38 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I originally added crystals above and below but finally I just went and bought A Yaesu FT101EX. Transistor receive, Tube transmit. It weighs 35 lbs. I still have it. 40 yrs old. My next door neighbor died and his daughter gave me his radio. It's a 101E. So I have 2. No tower or antenna anymore. I don't know what I'll do with them.....I went on eBay last night and searched Browning Golden Eagle. I was shocked... LOL

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2016, 8:47 AM
Was: Trucker_Clodhopper/Southern_Thunder

Yeah the Golden Eagles, with that Eagle screech on key up are top notch top dollar radios...
Old 02-08-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcool101 View Post
I originally added crystals above and below but finally I just went and bought A Yaesu FT101EX. Transistor receive, Tube transmit. It weighs 35 lbs. I still have it. 40 yrs old. My next door neighbor died and his daughter gave me his radio. It's a 101E. So I have 2. No tower or antenna anymore. I don't know what I'll do with them.....I went on eBay last night and searched Browning Golden Eagle. I was shocked... LOL

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
I know someone with a Golden Eagle. He'll never part with it though!

Last edited by TheSpaceMann; 02-08-2016 at 11:55 AM..
Old 02-08-2016, 11:20 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Started before that..I had a Pierce Simpson Bearcat 23 ch....4 crystals up and 4 down....4 channels per crystal...I was an outlaw........It had a clock Too!....
Attached Images