RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum - Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 6:12 PM

Reviving this thread for some help.

I think the OP was refering to how a lot of CB'rs use a three digit call sign, On SB (38LSB) they seem to use a three digit numbers, exclusively. I understand that it's all random and arbitrarily picked by individuals nowadays, but would the SSB crowd even care if I use my AM handle or should I pick a number just to stay compatible. Hoping some SSB'r like Mojave Jay can help me out.

My AM handle is Desert Dog. Since, the SB'rs seem to want to sound official what about phonetically using the Initials of my AM handle:

Delta, Delta, ,,,,,, HIHI,.... QSL.

(Yes, I joined HamSphere 3.0 so I could learn HamSpeak, lol)

Don't even know where to start if I was to choose a 3 digit number.

BTW, I typed in a google search trying to see if there was any standard out there and I got this thread.

Last edited by swen_out_west; 01-10-2017 at 6:26 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2017, 9:00 PM

Do whatever. No one is likely to care one way or another.
Old 01-10-2017, 9:02 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default My 1958 CB call sign was 4W0693

Quote:
Originally Posted by swen_out_west View Post
Reviving this thread for some help.

I think the OP was refering to how a lot of CB'rs use a three digit call sign, On SB (38LSB) they seem to use a three digit numbers, exclusively. I understand that it's all random and arbitrarily picked by individuals nowadays, but would the SSB crowd even care if I use my AM handle or should I pick a number just to stay compatible. Hoping some SSB'r like Mojave Jay can help me out.

My AM handle is Desert Dog. Since, the SB'rs seem to want to sound official what about phonetically using the Initials of my AM handle:

Delta, Delta, ,,,,,, HIHI,.... QSL.

(Yes, I joined HamSphere 3.0 so I could learn HamSpeak, lol)

Don't even know where to start if I was to choose a 3 digit number.

BTW, I typed in a google search trying to see if there was any standard out there and I got this thread.
My 1958 call sign was 4W0693 in McLean, Virginia so I use 693 now and handle BushDoctor when i was driving for Greyhound on the road after retiring from Mortorola Inc. At present i dont have a CB in my car since 2012 but i do listen to truckers on scanner sometimes but mostly Fire Departments along the way as well as Virginia State Police to avoid accidents and get off the interstate prior to them. In 1969 I got a ham license WB4IGU so have my amateur radios installed in my car and my old sideband CB sits quietly in my radio workshop at home just in case
Old 01-10-2017, 9:09 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

i use to play cb about 15yrs ago or so I still have my radio jc penny 6238 base but the reason I quit was here in town people were using to much power some guys had 3k watts just to talk across town i could not compete
Old 06-08-2017, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroradio View Post
In Canada we started with XM then a numeric combination. In reality most AMers used handles and when the licensing was stopped the SSBers switched to unit numbers or club numbers. Here Trans Canada radio was a popular club with weekly check ins and assigned numbers. It was a breath of fresh air compared to the "dime" (ch 10) which was the local call channel on AM and pure chaos....
XM 4349115 here and I often checked in to the Trans Canada Radio Club net, Bert on Scugog Island.
Sponsored links