• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How are call signs assigned for CB radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc0bus

Hello,
I'm brand new to CB radio and I was wanting to ask how CB call signs are assigned? I'm under the impression that SSBer's (Single Side Band users) are the primary users of call signs and was wondering how they are assigned?
Thank you

kma371

QRT
Hello,
I'm brand new to CB radio and I was wanting to ask how CB call signs are assigned? I'm under the impression that SSBer's (Single Side Band users) are the primary users of call signs and was wondering how they are assigned?
Thank you

Citizens Band radio is not licensed in the United States, so there are no callsigns, unless you make up one yourself.

Voyager

But, back until 1979, they were assigned sequentially with 3 letters and 4 numbers. They all started with the letter K. I think later they started using the W series, too.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
CB call signs

The prefix letters for each country are assigned by an international agreement. The letters assigned to the USA are W A N and K,and the call sign must start with one of those 4 although other letters and a number are used for the complete call sign.

So in short,you can pick your own...

Mine was MidnightDingo..I carried my call from my previous vocation over.

Rollin Tall In the BigBlackBeast with the Killer Bee Stingers up High..MidnightDingo Signing Off!...

Jeez..I miss CB..Rarely use mine anymore..

Stites

So we would up with W, A, N, and K? British humor at its finest - they got us to agree to be called bloody WANKers! LOL!

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
The prefix letters for each country are assigned by an international agreement. The letters assigned to the USA are W A N and K,and the call sign must start with one of those 4 although other letters and a number are used for the complete call sign.

Though the W, A, N, and K prefixes at one time meant something. These days it just signifies a US call with numbers generally signifying a region. Back in the days of Morse and Marconi it signified operating regions.

BillMcE

But, back until 1979, they were assigned sequentially with 3 letters and 4 numbers. They all started with the letter K. I think later they started using the W series, too.
For what it's worth, I think the FCC went from a 3 letter x 4 number call system until around 1975 / 76, when they were forced to go with a 4 letter x 4 number system. Because of the CB boom at the time, they would have run out of call signs with the old system.

KR4BD

For what it's worth, I think the FCC went from a 3 letter x 4 number call system until around 1975 / 76, when they were forced to go with a 4 letter x 4 number system. Because of the CB boom at the time, they would have run out of call signs with the old system.

You are correct about the 4-letter prefixes. In about 1976, I was issued KAOG8548. In the Late 50's & EARLY 60's, there were callsigns with this format: 11W4035 and 11Q5257 (two callsigns I remember while living in Riverside, CA at the time).

prcguy

I was licensed in mid 1975 with KSO9073 so they went to the 4X4 format after that. Not sure why I even remember that call, its been 40ys.
prcguy

You are correct about the 4-letter prefixes. In about 1976, I was issued KAOG8548. In the Late 50's & EARLY 60's, there were callsigns with this format: 11W4035 and 11Q5257 (two callsigns I remember while living in Riverside, CA at the time).

KB7MIB

My dad was KBKF9922, and used the handle "Firebear" as he was a fire police officer with a volunteer fire company in our township in PA.

On the AM channels, most users have a made up handle. The FCC does encourage users to use a callsign of sorts. Under rule 17, one of the suggestions is to use the K prefix, your initials, and your residence ZIP code. Mine then would be KJHG85345. I'm not aware of any users who actually follow that suggestion.

https://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/citizens-band-cb-service

SSB users may belong to a local or regional club, and are issued a 'callsign' through that club. That callsign of course carries no legal weight as an FCC issued callsign would.

Years ago, I acquired the callsign SSB-83T through the SSB Network. I believe that that national group no longer exists.

John
Peoria, AZ

kc0bus

Thanks for all the information. I was casually reading an emergency communications chapter in a book on CB usage and I think it mentioned the callsign idea of using the initials of your name and zip code, etc...

kc0bus

Thanks for all the information. I was casually reading an emergency communications chapter in a book on CB usage and I think it mentioned the callsign idea of using the initials of your name and zip code, etc...

I read somewhere that the FCC still recommends following this suggestion/guideline to this very day. Apparently some follow it. I guess most don't... (shrugs)...

Retroradio

In Canada we started with XM then a numeric combination. In reality most AMers used handles and when the licensing was stopped the SSBers switched to unit numbers or club numbers. Here Trans Canada radio was a popular club with weekly check ins and assigned numbers. It was a breath of fresh air compared to the "dime" (ch 10) which was the local call channel on AM and pure chaos....

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
I was licensed in late '69 but can not remember

the call sign.
KB7MIB, I also was a SSB member back in the early '90s; SSB-84N.
IIRC, they were based out of Italy. Still have some of my QSL cards.

(SUPERIOR EQUIPMENT OPERAORS CLUB)
SEO
INTERNATIONAL DX GROUP

Status
Not open for further replies.