• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Back in to CB's since 1991...Some interesting observations in Canada..

Status
Not open for further replies.

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
Back in 91 I was your typical geeky teenager who would rather play around with radio's, spend time at Radio Shack and spend hours out at the airport listening to my 10 channel scanner. Fast forward to 2015 and I have a renewed interest in CB again. I have a fairly elaborate Scanner setup now and do a lot of monitoring, but wanted to get a new rig for my car.

Upon listening to the CB band on my scanners, I notice just how quiet it really is up here except for the Channel 6 loudmouths....

I am trying to get some of my old buddies back online and start up a small unofficial CB club in my neck of the woods and there seems to be a fair amount of interest. It is interesting how things go full circle.

So I purchased a Wilson 1000 Mag mount and the new Uniden 980SSB. I am not looking for major power, just something to start out with and get back in the hobby.

Cheers to all! and hoping to make some new contacts out there!

Jason

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
I've found that all my scanners

are very poor to hear CB frequencies. Usually because the antenna isn't a match for those frequencies, and for sure, the CB band ain't what it use to be. When the sunspots are active, you'll hear a bunch of skip coming in until dark time, then it gets quiet. Starting up a group for the CBs will be interesting, so good luck sir with your endeavors.

PrimeNumber

I am trying to get some of my old buddies back online and start up a small unofficial CB club in my neck of the woods and there seems to be a fair amount of interest. It is interesting how things go full circle.

Like rafdav said, good luck in this. Most of the hardware is so reasonably priced that it makes it all that much easier. What ranges are you and your friends spread over? If everyone's within a 10 maybe 15 mile footprint, this ought to be pretty easy to do. Please keep us posted on how it works out.

PACNWDude

In 1991 I was in the same situation, but had a 16 channel scanner at that time.

Then about 1994-95 I noticed in Cheyenne, Wyoming a large CB radio crowd that hung out in a local park. They seemed to be about 10 years behind technology wise, and there was a competition on who could put the biggest antenna on the smallest car. I upgraded to a Radio Shack Pro-2006 scanner.

Fast forward to 2015, I still keep CB radio in two vehicles, but here in America, Channel 9 is where the loudmouths are. At least here in this area. Scanners are various Uniden/Bearcat models. CB is still useful for listening to the local chatter.

You bought a good antenna and radio, just be sure to use quality coax and connectors and you should get decent range on that CB. Good luck.

DJboutit

In 1991 I was in the same situation, but had a 16 channel scanner at that time.

Then about 1994-95 I noticed in Cheyenne, Wyoming a large CB radio crowd that hung out in a local park. They seemed to be about 10 years behind technology wise, and there was a competition on who could put the biggest antenna on the smallest car. I upgraded to a Radio Shack Pro-2006 scanner.

Fast forward to 2015, I still keep CB radio in two vehicles, but here in America, Channel 9 is where the loudmouths are. At least here in this area. Scanners are various Uniden/Bearcat models. CB is still useful for listening to the local chatter.

You bought a good antenna and radio, just be sure to use quality coax and connectors and you should get decent range on that CB. Good luck.

Loud mouths are on 6 and 11 with to much modulation sounding like muffled crap

mrweather

I'm in Peel Region and listen to CB on occasion with my Kenwood TS-2000 (my antenna is good for 10M so I figured close enough) but there isn't a whole lot of activity except for the usual chatter on 19 from the 401 and the loud mouths on 6 and 11 when the band opens up. I have heard some sideband comms on 37 and 38.

I do bring a Cobra 75WXST on road trips as I find CB infinitely more useful on the highway than even 2M.

Clubguy

I'm studying the ARRL manual and I would like to get the Technicians Ham Radio License. I was wondering if 2M was a good radio to have to check traffic reports from other drivers AND keep in touch over longer distances. I also would like to know if dual-band Ham radios pick up emergency broadcasts from police, fire, and ambulances.

teufler

Dual bands can pick up fire, police, and other public service provided they are not on a trunking system or on 800 mhz.Most ham dual band equipment is wide receive. 2 mtr can work long distances providing you have access to a repeter that is within range. Normal flat land coverage would be a 30 mile radius. If the tower is higher, like on a mountain, ranges will be far greater. If the repeater is linked, range can be state wide, in some states. With some features that are on some radios, IRLP or access to Echolink, you can access the world.Now for "smokey reports", this can be construed as a criminal activity and that would be prohibited communications. Any activity contrary to federal, state, or local law is a no no. 97.113(a)(4). About the first time I talked on a 2 meter radio, I did what I had done for years prior on cb,
Watch out for radar at xxxx. I was quickly informed, that is not done on 2 meter. So radar traps started to be said as the state welcome wagon, or watch out of a state car at xxx, give him room. Statements related to driver safety seemed to be safe. These statements were not hiding meanings in codes or ciphers. The language was in clear plain language so international rules were not broken either. You will have fun with your new found radio should you take the test. Should you get a scanner, you should be okey with state laws as hams are not restricted to having a scanner mobile while non hams are.

Clubguy

That, right there, is a quality answer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

mrweather

I would say 2M is fairly useful in more metropolitan areas but get out on the open highways and you won't find many people to talk to. CB is definitely the way to go in this case. At least that has been my experience.

And yes, newer vhf/uhf ham radios have wide receive and would pick up local public safety comms provided they're not on a trunked radio system (though you could receive their transmissions but have a heck of a time following them).

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
I just got my Antenna in the mail today, unfortunately I was not home to receive it so it went to the post office. I will be picking it up tomorrow. I will be doing the install on Monday, I will post pics and results then.

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
I'm in Peel Region and listen to CB on occasion with my Kenwood TS-2000 (my antenna is good for 10M so I figured close enough) but there isn't a whole lot of activity except for the usual chatter on 19 from the 401 and the loud mouths on 6 and 11 when the band opens up. I have heard some sideband comms on 37 and 38.

I do bring a Cobra 75WXST on road trips as I find CB infinitely more useful on the highway than even 2M.

Hi MrWeather, seems like we are close, I am in Brampton....North East Brampton to be exact, and I am in to weather as well, Plus many other radios. Maybe we can communicate some day! :))

Jason

k8krh

I find in road trips and around the counties 2 meters is not used much, although repeaters are plentiful but dead. I have in each vehicle a cb radio and find activity and it is more useful. On a road trip to FLORIDA I tried two meters made a whole 2 contacts down and 1 coming back. On CB a handful of contacts any where I went, that was a difference.

DOCTOR/795

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
How is the Uniden 980?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Hey Clubguy, so far my initial impressions are quite good. With the Wilson 1000, I immediately made contacts many miles away, and they said my audio sounded great.
I am happy I got it.

regards,
Jason

Clubguy

It is a beautiful radio and fairly cheap

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

tgbrail

I'm up in Orangeville , working 20 meters and cb radio. I have a mint courier gladiator pll40. Its very quiet on channel 19 here and not much activity on sideband 38.
CB radio sure has changed since cell phones and fed/ games radios surfaced.

tgbrail

I grew up in Brampton ! Lived there from 1961 to 2000 .
Cb was extremely active when I had my Realistic TRC 99C 3 channel walkie talkie in 1972 . Ended up with a Cobra 142 base and moonraker 4 x 4 beam.

Status
Not open for further replies.