RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum - Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2015, 10:32 AM

Default Question about K30 antenna

I am considering buying a K30 for my car, and I am curious as to how flexible the whip is. By my measurements, there is plenty of overhead clearance except for passing through the garage door. It looks to be about a foot short. And so far I have not been able to find any information on how much you can flex the antenna without doing any damage. Does anyone have experience with it?
Sponsored links
Old 10-25-2015, 12:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default K30 and K40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRedneck View Post
I am considering buying a K30 for my car, and I am curious as to how flexible the whip is. By my measurements, there is plenty of overhead clearance except for passing through the garage door. It looks to be about a foot short. And so far I have not been able to find any information on how much you can flex the antenna without doing any damage. Does anyone have experience with it?
I am working on my 5th or 6th K40 setup. When I used to live in Houston, I would invariably run into a parking garage without removing the antenna. Whap, whap, whap, was a noise that made me cringe. Of course, I realize that the K30 sports a shorter stinger than the K40, but they are similar in design.

I have had to replace the base on this unit on several occasions due to connecting with fixed objects. I see that the K30 has a similar design. I promise, if you hit this antenna on a frequent basis by running into fixed objects, it will start to crack right below the metal part that houses the set screw for adjusting SWRs. These units have healthy stingers and they do not bend like those made by Wilson. Wilson antennas tend to bend in comparison.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ensnared; 10-25-2015 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: added information
Old 10-27-2015, 5:36 PM

After doing some measuring, I have determined that I can eliminate the problem by putting the antenna on the trunk. My next concern is the durability of the coax. Like most cars, my trunk gets opened and closed at times. How many times could I close the trunk on that coax before it does any damage?
Old 10-28-2015, 7:51 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Trunk Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRedneck View Post
After doing some measuring, I have determined that I can eliminate the problem by putting the antenna on the trunk. My next concern is the durability of the coax. Like most cars, my trunk gets opened and closed at times. How many times could I close the trunk on that coax before it does any damage?
I know that the K40 has a trunk mount, but I am unsure about the K30. When I had my K40 mounted on the trunk the coax was never pinched. However, if you are talking about a coax running through the space the trunk closes, as in magnetic mount, good luck. At present, I have a Versa hatchback with the coax running through the 3rd door where it doesn't get opened much.

Last edited by Ensnared; 10-28-2015 at 7:52 AM.. Reason: added wording
Old 11-04-2015, 5:22 PM

I got my antenna today, finally. For reasons of being able to park in the garage, I did put it on the trunk lid. But there was no way that coax could fit through the trunk, so it is routed through the back door. That gap was almost too tight. It works well though, just had to shorten it a little to get the swr where I wanted it. Even though I live on a highway, oddly there is little local traffic, but I was lucky enough for a convoy to be moving an oversized load not long afterwards. I hit channel 19, asked for a radio check, and the reports said I sounded good on their end, probably only a few miles away, but it confirms that the system works at least. Not bad for a radio I found in a bucket in someones old shop, and a cheap Ebay antenna.
Sponsored links
Old 11-24-2015, 4:10 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Go with the Wilson. Either a 1000, 3000 or 5000. They give much better gain the the K series.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:32 AM

Default k30

How far range would i get on a secant floor with a k30 mag mount with 200 watts going to it on cb thanks..
just a rough idea on range thanks..
Old 01-07-2018, 6:11 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Stinger Bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1deband1t View Post
Go with the Wilson. Either a 1000, 3000 or 5000. They give much better gain the the K series.
Yes, I would agree, but the Wilson's are prone to bending if you get it caught in something. That is why I prefer the thicker stinger that comes with the K40. At present, I have moved over to Tram exclusively because of the rubber boot that comes with the magnetic mount.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:39 AM

I used the K30 for a time, mainly because the size worked better for my needs. It functioned adequately, no complaints about it at all. I later moved on to a fiberglass antenna with a permanent mount. Thanks to Harvey, I do not have that car anymore, but I will be putting a radio in the next one.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:30 PM

I used one K40 in my time back in the 80's. I occasionally ran 500 watts through it. I only took the stinger off when I went through the automatic car washes with brushes. I guess I really liked hearing the "whaps" I ran the 102" steel whips more than anything.
Old 01-09-2018, 8:32 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Get a Sirio 5000 .......................
Old 01-10-2018, 8:43 AM

I've had good luck with a K30 on both the roof and the trunk of a sedan.

Since I've never tried it, I can't answer the question about the distance a K30 can operate when it is on the second floor of a building using 200 watts of power. There are too many variables for me to venture a guess, including what type of ground plane is being used. But from my experience with the K30 on my vehicle, I will opine that its performance will be comparable to any similar quality antenna in its class, such as the Wilson Lil Wil.
Old 01-10-2018, 9:57 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Check to see what power rating on the antenna is!!