• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Stealthy Antenna Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordman8970

Premium Subscriber
Hi Everyone, I live in a Community with a HOA and wife that hates seeing antennas. I have been able to build a long wire antenna with a 9:1 balun without anyone noticing. I use it to listen to shortwave, I know I cannot use that antenna for cb. I have a large bamboo tree next to my home and was wondering if I could zip tie a 4 foot fire stick to it about 4 to 5 feet of the ground. The issue is the ground plane, I have a short grounding rod for the shortwave antenna. Can I use a grounding rod to ground a cb antenna? Also I have no access to the attic and a mag mount on the roof won't work, even though I have a metal roof it would be way to noticeable. Please help with any ideas.. My Galaxy 959 tuned and peaked is on it way and I need to get on the air...

bharvey2

A ground rod as you describe probably wouldn't help you very much. While hardly the best solution, you might try building a vertical dipole and hiding it in your bamboo. You'll still want to get it as high as possible as ground proximity may cause you problems. Could you mount your firestick in your attic with an appropriate ground plane? - Still not ideal but it may work for short range work. I live in an HOA neighborhood to so I feel your pain. I fight getting good HF coverage regularly.

fordman8970

Premium Subscriber
2 problems with the attic....

1. I have metal roof won't that kill my reception?

2. It a very small space and ac unit is in the attic, and I would have to find a way to run the coax the coax through the wall due to the attic entry being in the closet. I live in Florida and we do not have very big attics at all.

These are the dilemmas I'm dealing with..

bharvey2

Yes, a metal roof will cause you grief. Although, it also serve as you ground plane. Any way to get creative and disguise an antenna? I recall using mag mount CB antennas that weren't any longer that 4 feet tall. Or, maybe pursue the dipole idea. I've done just that with a truckers mirror mount attach to my open garage door and a length of wire hanging down as the other half of the antenna. It isn't the greatest but it works.

fordman8970

Premium Subscriber
I could try maybe a little Wil. I was looking at the tram 1499 similar to the workman 3ft small antenna but I heard they are POS . The only concern bout the little Wil is it strength I was hoping to do ssb from home.

prcguy

If you were able to hide a 9:1 balun and some wire you could make a different type of balun and with about 18 or 36ft of wire it could satisfy your SWL and CB transmit problems. Although this would probably be mostly horizontal and more useful for CB skip vs talking to locals on vertical pol. With 18ft of wire it will radiate perpendicular to the wire with two gain lobes in either direction like a center fed dipole and with 36ft of wire it will have a four lobe pattern like a clover leaf. These patterns would be for CB and for lower freq SW it would be mostly omni directional.

If the idea interests you I can post instructions on making the transformer/balun that cost about $2 for the ferrite core to make a 100w version or about $9 to make a 400w version. Once the wire is trimmed for lowest VSWR you would not need an antenna tuner in the CB band and the antenna will work similar to your 9:1 setup for SW listening.
prcguy

fordman8970

Premium Subscriber
That sounds awsome.. I bought my balun from a guy on ebay from Michigan. Very well built, I really want to try skip out that's why I bought a Galaxy and a ssb radio.

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
You ever thought about the Maco Balcony Antenna-
The new Maco® BA1 Balcony Antenna has been designed to be used on the 10/11 meter bands.
It can be mounted either horizontally or vertically, depending on the operator's preference. This
1/2 wave antenna can be mounted on a wrought iron or wooden balcony, making it the perfect
solution for operators who have limited space or cannot have a permanent installation. 5 dBi gain.
These can also be used as side of tower mounted antennas. They can also be operated in a vertically phased array (collinear) that will give you a small amount of gain in various array configurations. They sell for around $100.00. It definitely woud be better than to make a ground plane for your Firestik whip antenna

prcguy

Ok, here is one of many sites that have instructions on winding the transformer: PD7MAA HOMEPAGE: Multiband end fed antennas 3.5 - 30mHz

The antenna is a resonant end fed half wave at the design frequency and will operate on even harmonics. The transformer matches 50 ohm coax to the approximate 3,200 ohms of an end fed half wave with very little loss. Once you make the transformer you cut 1/2 wavelength of wire plus a little for trimming then tune the antenna for the best match by adjusting the wire length. If you make it about 16ft long or a half wavelength on CB it will have a great match on CB and at 54Mhz and so on. If you make it about 36ft long or a full wavelength CB it will also work great on 13.5Mhz and 54Mhz and so on.

I use various versions of this antenna all the time for 80 through 10m amateur and I set up a friend with a 10m version (basically the same for CB) with 1/2 wavelength of wire for 28.5Mhz (about 16.5ft of wire) and hung the whole thing vertical from a 33ft telescoping fiberglass mast. Compared to the 7ft, 10m Hustler antenna on his truck, the end fed half wave was about a full S unit stronger to everyone and would work about the same as an Antron99 or similar under the same conditions. And you can build it for a couple of bucks.

Anyway, you need to decide on the power level then purchase an appropriate ferrite core. You will also need some wire, preferably 20 to 16ga enameled magnet wire for a 100w version and 16 to 14ga is good for a higher power one. I switched to Teflon insulated wire for the transformer but its a PIA to wind and keep on the core because it really wants to unwind. You have to Ty-rap it down as you wind that stuff.

Here is a good place to buy the ferrite but you can also find it on Ebay. For low power and up to 100w SSB you can use a tiny FT-114-43 core available here: FT-114-43 - Amidon

Or for a little heavier duty version this core is twice as thick and is what I now use for 100w SSB versions: FT-114A-43 - Amidon

For up to about 400w SSB you can use this core: FT-240-43 - Amidon

To wind the transformer you need to have a twisted pair for the primary and you cut maybe 4ft of wire for a small core or 6-8ft for a large one and fold back about 18" of wire on itself, hold the first few inches of the fold with some Vice Grips and twist the 18" long piece with 18" of the longer one until you have a few inches of the original 18" wire that's not twisted.

Then stick the twisted section through the ferrite core until split the junction of the long and 18" wire is flush with the outer edge of the ferrite core. The section you pushed through the core is the first of two turns for the twisted pair primary, so as your holding the core flat in front of you, wrap the twisted pair around the core back toward you to the right of where it started and stick the end of the twisted pair through the center of the core again and wrap it back around so it exits away from the core and parallel to the split junction of the long wire and 18" wire.

The now longer twisted pair with the bend at the end and sticking out from the core will be cut to reach a coax connector and that will go to ground. The short but exposed part of the 18" wire at the junction of the 18" wire and long wire is the 50 ohm input and will go to the center pin of the coax connector.

Look at the diagram and pictures in the link and continue wrapping 6 turns of the long wire around the core to the left of the primary windings. Every time the wire passes through the center is considered one turn. I prefer to push the core side of the wire through the hole in the core then pull the remaining length through rather than sticking the end through the hole and pulling the entire length. You get tighter windings against the core that way.

As you can see in the link picture, after 6 turns, you cross over the core and continue with 7 more turns. The cross over is considered a turn so when you are done the transformer should have two turns of twisted pair for the primary and 14 turns for the secondary. The end of the secondary at the 14th turn is where you attach the 1/2 wavelength of wire.

You will need a ceramic disc or dipped silver mica capacitor anywhere between 100pf and 150pf across the 50 ohm input and the voltage rating can be 100v for a stock CB or maybe 1kV raging for a 400w version. For 100w versions I usually get 500V dipped silver micas around 120pf on Ebay cheap.

Attached is a picture of an 800w version I made using dual 2.4" cores so you can see the windings and how I put them in boxes. This one seems to be missing a secondary turn and I forget why but it works great. A 100w version can fit in a tiny enclosure made for key fobs and I usually use a BNC connector on those because the box is so small.

Jotting all this down seems like work to me so I'll stop here and hopefully this gets you going on the project. One day I'll just whip one together with a camera running and put it on Youtube.
prcguy

That sounds awsome.. I bought my balun from a guy on ebay from Michigan. Very well built, I really want to try skip out that's why I bought a Galaxy and a ssb radio.

Attachments

• new end fed small file.jpg
    new end fed small file.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,156

prcguy

How do they get 5dBi gain from a 2.14dBi gain dipole? BTW, the 1/2 wavelength version of the project above will work the same and only cost a few $$ to make and will be practically invisible.
prcguy

You ever thought about the Maco Balcony Antenna-
The new Maco® BA1 Balcony Antenna has been designed to be used on the 10/11 meter bands.
It can be mounted either horizontally or vertically, depending on the operator's preference. This
1/2 wave antenna can be mounted on a wrought iron or wooden balcony, making it the perfect
solution for operators who have limited space or cannot have a permanent installation. 5 dBi gain.
These can also be used as side of tower mounted antennas. They can also be operated in a vertically phased array (collinear) that will give you a small amount of gain in various array configurations. They sell for around $100.00. It definitely woud be better than to make a ground plane for your Firestik whip antenna

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
Hi there prcguy....definitely respect.your knowledge and expertise...no doubt. When he mentioned outta sight outta mind thing that is what I came up with. As for the specs that is what I read off of.the MACO site. Yes those things are overpriced...but its't/are not alot of things? Radios included...LOL.
By the way, I marvel the way you are ever so graphic with your building....almost like LEGOS!

prcguy

The Maco is a 1/2 wave dipole and should work fine and the price is not that bad. But the antenna market and especially the CB side is riddled with so much false advertising it makes me wanna go to their company and punch them in the head.
prcguy

Hi there prcguy....definitely respect.your knowledge and expertise...no doubt. When he mentioned outta sight outta mind thing that is what I came up with. As for the specs that is what I read off of.the MACO site. Yes those things are overpriced...but its't/are not alot of things? Radios included...LOL.
By the way, I marvel the way you are ever so graphic with your building....almost like LEGOS!

Rred

Ignoring the larger issues for the moment, running coax through a wall is no biggie. There are "bulkhead connectors" available in 2", 3", 6", 9", etc. lengths. These are simply double-female "barrel" connectors, the same type you use to join two pieces of coax, with extra hex nuts so you can drill one hole in the wall (an impact drill makes short work of concrete if you need to), then insert the bulkhead connector and tighten up two nuts to hold it in place. A standard male coax cable connects to each side. The bulkhead connector should also be angled "down" to the outside, so any rain does not run inside the building, regardless of how well you seal it. And the coax on the outside should be formed into a drip loop, so it doesn't funnel water into the connector as well.

FWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies.