• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Pyramid PS3KX 3-Amp 12-Volt Power Supply & Cobra 18 WXST II

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidx

My brother is using, A 13.8v power supply from his uniden BCT1X5. On his hand held 38 WXST is that wise? Also I have a PSK3 Pyramid power supply. With a 2.5 amp Constant and 3amp surge hooked to my Cobra 18 wxst II C. Are we ok here just wondering.

mrweather

What is the current draw for Cobra? I'm guessing it's 2A or less on transmit. The Pyramid supply will work fine.

greusome1

I'm using an old computer power supply rated at 14 amps... had to figure out a few things to get it to work... but finally got through it.... works great and low noise.... If you have access to one and want the tweak... I can give you that info... most of the conversions I found online are pretty much overkill and complicated.. I know the short version lol... anyways.. as long as the modulation is loud and consistent, you should be fine... at first my cb was sounding bad.. but was using a cheap wall plug that had 12vdc output with only 0.8 amps... and it was horrible....

kidx

What is the current draw for Cobra? I'm guessing it's 2A or less on transmit. The Pyramid supply will work fine.
I think its 2A it takes 9 battries thats all I know. Also can run on a care battery yup. So a Uniden 13.8VDC 12v output should work fine. I got the Pyramid PS3KX 2.5 AMP Constant that should be good with a 3amp surge my cb does not heat uo turns on and works fine but will it have enough power to use the FireStik IAB-Indoor? Do I need additional power for antennas?

kidx

nope.. antennas don't use power....

Ok thanks a lot man so I should be good to go then thanks a lot. As for the Hand Held Cobra HH38wxst it heats up for some reason with a power pack plunged in we used the Uniden one its the same as a car power cause my brothers scanner is mobile plus base. Any ideas if the heat is cause from the 13.8v power supply from his uniden BCT1X5?

kidx

use power.
Also, the use of a computer power supply is very stable; you can buy them off ebay pretty cheap, or find one that's in a dead computer system, (dead as in motherboard, and not the supply).

So the power pack we are using is no good for the Cobra HH38 WXST? But the Cobra runs on car power that is 12v if I am not mistaken?

greusome1

My small Uniden 510xl only pulls 2amps... im sure a radio with more lights, more switches, and more dials will pull more than that.... don't know how many amps your radios will pull... check the specs and see what amps they require... when it comes to amps, more is always better.. If your radio calls for 3amps and you have a 3amp supply.... expect some heating up of the supply and radio... my uniden 510 was getting kinda hot hooked to the 0.8 amp supply I was using.. and the converter was even hotter.... sounds to me like you need more amps....typically when hooked up to the 12vdc battery of a vehicle... take note you have around 40-60 amps (depending on your alternator and/or battery used) to play with in your vehicle...

Last edited:

kidx

Well its just a Hand Held and requires 12v but it gets warm thats all just wondering if that is a problem or are hand helds suppose to heat up when plugged in to power packs.

greusome1

Warm...yes if its got a battery inside the hand-held then its probably trying to charge the battery Batteries during a charge cycle will get quite warm. If you plan on using the hand-held with a constant supply of voltage through your supply... make sure the batteries are out... or you will be overcharging the batteries...unless of course the power supply is actually a charger which will cut the voltage back when it senses a fully charged battery.... don't think anything should get uncomfortably warm to the touch. If it feels too hot,, then it probably is...

kidx

One final question before this thread is too old. Where can i find a list of CB Radios that will work with PS3KX i was thinking of upgrading to a Cobra 29 LX.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
One final question before this thread is too old. Where can i find a list of CB Radios that will work with PS3KX i was thinking of upgrading to a Cobra 29 LX.
To make that task simpler, you'd be better off upgrading to a power supply capable of more current. 73, n9zas

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
any recommendations so i can go get one?
Astron RS7A would take of any cb you decide on. Of couse they can range all the way to 50 amps depending on the model. :wink: 73, n9zas

kidx

Question could a SWR meter be blocking my signal i am getting low watts with the meter using a K30 mag mount any ideas to increase the watts out or is a Cobra WXST II not good at putting out watts.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
ANY legal CB radio is only going to output about 4 watts.

A meter won't block your RF signal unless it is broken, or you have a bad patch cable.

If you expect more power, you'll have to get an illegal power amplifier. Besides being illegal, they usually "splatter" your signal across multiple channels, which exponentially increases the douchebagginess of using one.

kidx

ANY legal CB radio is only going to output about 4 watts.

A meter won't block your RF signal unless it is broken, or you have a bad patch cable.

If you expect more power, you'll have to get an illegal power amplifier. Besides being illegal, they usually "splatter" your signal across multiple channels, which exponentially increases the douchebagginess of using one.

What i am saying is i am putting out about 3 not even the legal limit so yeah.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's common for factory-fresh radios to output slightly less than the 4-watt legal limit.

On older radios, you could adjust coils and potentiometers to increase output power, but the newer ones with surface-mount IC chips instead of discrete components don't really allow that.

cmdrwill

I would check your radio and SWR meter with a known good dummy load. Some 'meters' will read weird in some setups/antennas.

Status
Not open for further replies.