• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tune-up CB Radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
In Canada Citizens Band (CB) is known as the General Radio Service (GRS).

The rules are pretty well the same. You're only allowed 4 Watts carrier power with AM transmissions. See --> http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf01016.html for the full Canadian regulations.

Note the part where it says:

Operators must not make, or have someone else make, any internal modification
to a certified GRS transmitter (technical acceptance certificate - TAC). Any such
modification voids the Industry Canada certification of the radio apparatus.

However, tuning a radio is pretty well a waste of time and money. Bumping 4 watts to 6 or 8 watts will make very little difference to people receiving you and it will put extra stress on the transmitter finals.

Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
A Well tuned antenna with some elevation for line of sight, will SOUND like 100 watts. As said tuning your cb for max rf out will only make it work harder, and with no difference to those listening to you. :). 73, n9zas

gewecke

Banned
ok with that said whats the best settings for tuning a firestick whip?
Well do you have a external Swr bridge? The first step is to See if you really need to tune it. In many cases, its not needed. 73, n9zas

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I dont have a SWR meter I just have a Cobra WXST II and Whip.

Then don't mess with it until you get a decent SWR meter. Without the proper test equipment any adjustments would be done totally blind.

SWR adjustment depends on more than just the antenna length. The size/shape of the groundplane under the antenna impacts it, too. So one persons measurements will not equal good results to a different installation.

If you don't have a good meter, then get someone with a -real- meter to test it for you. $10 SWR meters are not going to be very helpful. They might get you pointed in the right direction, but the accuracy will be poor and readings will always be suspect.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Ill get a SWR meter from Amazon and use that.

Chose wisely.
Not saying you have to spend a lot, but there are low quality ones out there. A low end one will give you something useable, but it's lack of accuracy may be problematic.

If you plan on staying involved in CB radio for a long time, it might be worth getting a decent one that'll last you many years, maybe even one capable of covering the HF radio band just in case you decide to branch off into amateur radio.

Don't forget, you'll need a short jumper to go between the radio and the meter. A 2 or 3 foot jumper is usually sufficient.

Once you have a decent meter, you'll probably find others than can benefit. Tuning your friends antennas might make it all worthwhile.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Specifications for this one show: Freq. Range :140-150Mhz 430-450Mhz.
Not suitable for CB radio.

Probably your best bet.

These two are probably good, but in reality you don't need the two meters. This might be a nice function if you wanted to leave it connected in line and watch your power output and SWR at the same time, but in reality that serves little purpose in real world operations.
They both have a field strength function, which can be useful in some cases. They also cover more of the HF band, which might be useful if you intend on ever getting your amateur license.

kidx

Specifications for this one show: Freq. Range :140-150Mhz 430-450Mhz.
Not suitable for CB radio.

Probably your best bet.

These two are probably good, but in reality you don't need the two meters. This might be a nice function if you wanted to leave it connected in line and watch your power output and SWR at the same time, but in reality that serves little purpose in real world operations.
They both have a field strength function, which can be useful in some cases. They also cover more of the HF band, which might be useful if you intend on ever getting your amateur license.

Ill get the workman one then thanks for your feedback that really helps me a lot.

NC1

The best bang for your buck would be an antenna with the highest gain. An antenna with the highest gain will boost your Effective Radiated Power (ERP). It will also receive much better as well.

That being said, if you purchase TWO antennas with a little less gain, and phase them together, your 4w output could be an effective ERP of 12+ watts!
For CB, you need to get them at least 6 feet apart or your SWR will be all over the place due to them interacting (interfering) with eachother.

kidx

my antenna is fine i get 2 miles or more. But this guy close to me is bleeding into channel 17 and 19 how can i stop that. Also he is on 18 is there a swr box with something to keep frequencys on there channel if i wanna here him ill go to 18. Just annoying when people dont follow CB rules and bleed all over.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
my antenna is fine i get 2 miles or more. But this guy close to me is bleeding into channel 17 and 19 how can i stop that. Also he is on 18 is there a swr box with something to keep frequencys on there channel if i wanna here him ill go to 18. Just annoying when people dont follow CB rules and bleed all over.

Not really anything you can do.
This guy is either running way too much power and/or his radio has been tweaked by the local golden screwdriver and it's splattering all over the place. Usually an indication of someone who's more concerned with power output than actually having a quality signal.

gewecke

Banned
. That's something you'll have to tolerate if you choose to use cbs. However many cbs have a feature called RF Gain which is adjustable. It can be used to attenuate strong signals to a point, including adjacent channel interference. Just a thought. :wink: 73, n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.