• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wilson 1000 using Lil Wil 36in whip antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA9JGB

Premium Subscriber
I have a GMC Acadia with a Wilson 1000 trunk lip mount mounted on the hood. Works great with a 1.2 SWR. My question is, can I use my Wilson Lil Wil 36 inch whip in my Wilson 1000? Looking for a lower profile alternative. I have a NMO mount with the SO239 adapter on my 1000 with no issues. Any thoughts or ideas? I already know that I'll be losing my talk/receive range going low profile. I mainly just use the CB to listen during my hour long commute each way to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
No, your Swr would likely go up, but you could try it. I would stick with your 1000. 73, n9zas

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have a GMC Acadia with a Wilson 1000 trunk lip mount mounted on the hood. Works great with a 1.2 SWR. My question is, can I use my Wilson Lil Wil 36 inch whip in my Wilson 1000? Looking for a lower profile alternative. I have a NMO mount with the SO239 adapter on my 1000 with no issues. Any thoughts or ideas? I already know that I'll be losing my talk/receive range going low profile. I mainly just use the CB to listen during my hour long commute each way to work.

If you've got an NMO mount already, why not just use a Larsen NMO-27?

cmdrwill

If you've got an NMO mount already, why not just use a Larsen NMO-27?

Way better antenna than any of the "wilson" stuff.

Also Comtelco A1801AH-27 is another top choice.

As for " Looking for a lower profile alternative.", just not going to work out on CB frequencies. Anything shorter than the NOM-27 or the A1801AH27 is going to be really disappointing. Remember 108 inches is a quarter wave at 27 mHz CB.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The loading coil in the base is wound with a specific whip length in mind. If you use a different length whip, your SWR is going to become unacceptably high.

And "low profile CB antenna" is an oxymoron, at least if you expect it to perform well. If you want it to work, it's got to be big. Physics is physics.

JayMojave

Hello JGB: Looking at these two antennas I'd say yeah putting on the Lil Wil is worth a try if your only wanting to listen in. It will have less transmitting range. Might give it a try and see how it works for you, they look interchangeable.

When travelling long distances I monitor CB CH19, and 2 meters 146.52 and have my expen$ive Radar/Laser detector on. Doing the speed limit helps, but.....

Good luck, please let us know the shorter antenna works for you.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

FiveFilter

I use a 35-inch K30 mag-mount on the trunk of my sedan with good results on highway commutes. The shorties that fit in low garages are OK for several miles both receive and transmit, only not as good as their big, tall brothers.

W4TF

You can't go wrong with the Larsen.

Another option to look at is the new Lincoln RW MIssissippi antenna. I don't know much about it and can't recommend it per se, but I have a lot of trust in the "President" brand name. I just picked one up and mounted to the roof of my Explorer via NMO mount. It's short, has an inline sprint, and has a nice "twist and fold-over" feature for those tight/low garage spaces. So far it's working well for me (only 2 days...) but i need to use it some more to fully understand it's range and pros/cons. Just something to think about...

Status
Not open for further replies.