RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum - Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2017, 1:14 PM

Sorry to bring up an old thread. This is great information. Was just wondering if anyone has actually tried this and had success or failure with doing this?
Sponsored links
Old 05-20-2017, 6:25 PM

I'l bite... even if it's a two month old thread.. sorry

So the 980 and like radios have a 35 position ffc from the front panel MCU to the main board.
There is actually no RF present in any connection but there are a few things that will be affected.

1. There are several signals being fed into an ADC in the MCU.
2. There is a bitbanged SPI bus and several latch/chip select lines.
3. There are three power supplies running up there (5,8, and 13v)

Most of the 35 positions in the flat flex cable are carrying power supplies or data lines.
There is not a lot of analog stuff in there.
If I remember correctly only 12 lines actually had signals and the other 23 were literally +5v or GND.

It's doable... but you would need to shield some things from one another.
Old 05-20-2017, 6:43 PM

Looks like it would have been an interesting project.
I was looking for something similar, a remote head CB radio that could be mounted well out of the way since I rarely need it. I usually only need it on longer road trips.

I'd been looking for years. The few "all in the mic" units were not what I was looking for, wanted the RF section remote'd and just a control head up front.

Took a long time, but one day surfing the net I ran across the Uniden CMX560. It was what I was looking for. Since I did not need SSB, SWR meter or any of the bells and whistles, it worked for me. They sell a higher end version with weather, etc. CMX760, but I've already got a VHF in my truck. Anyway, since I primarily wanted it for listening to highway traffic, I wasn't really too concerned if it was not "the best". Just needed to to receive locally and transmit occasionally.
Turned out to be a pretty good radio. All the controls are in a hand held control head type setup. The big benefit is it used 8 conductor cable between the RF deck and the hand held control head. It's got an RJ-45 jack on the RF deck, and an RJ-45 plug on the control head/mic. So I was able to mount the RF deck behind the rear seat of my truck, where all the radios are, tap into an unused NMO mount and 12 volts off an ignition switched timer. I used an old Ethernet cable to run from behind the rear set to under the dashboard. I cut off the RJ-45 plug and installed a jack. Plugged the mic in and it works just fine.

No issues with extending the control cable. The Ethernet cable I used is just plain old category 5, not shielded.
I was able to reuse a Motorola speaker that I already had under the dashboard, so it sounds pretty good.

Works just fine for what I needed. A simple, low profile CB radio. There when I needed it, out of the way when I didn't.

Did some research, and the radio itself is made by President and sold under the President Williams name.
Old 07-07-2017, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyGator View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not allowed to transmit on CB frequencies with ham equipment even if its capable.

Well, your project (whether it works or not), is illegal to use as it's not longer FCC approved once modified so pick-the-pickle you'd prefer to be in.
Old 07-20-2017, 1:31 PM

Default Uniden 980 remote panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyGator View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not allowed to transmit on CB frequencies with ham equipment even if its capable.

Unfortunately, my test equipment is limited to a multimeter and a bottle of jack daniels so a lot of this is gonna be using the measure twice cut once approach.

I will also need to figure out how I'm going to solder the FFC connector to the breakout board as I have never done any SMT soldering. I'm hoping I can call in a favor at work to get it done.

Your best bet is to use a HAM rig w/remote face panel. You'll find that (most likely) you still get interference with those rigs, but the 980 is a mediocre rig at best, not worth the time and expense. Whatever you choose, good luck!
Sponsored links
Old 07-21-2017, 5:36 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good

Quote:
Amplifiers are not allowed, either, yet are used every day.
And directional Antenna here.

Why not an Mice Adapter and control the Radio over that?