• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Galaxy 86V

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD8DVR

That is not a cb radio.

It is an "illegal radio" disguised as a "10 meter" radio, so the illegal pirates can invade radio services they aren't licensed to use.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All comments are personal opinion only and may not imply actual fact.

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
That statement has grown old over time. The radios are out there, have been and will always be.
It's a part of everyday radio life...

Delta33

They are Illegal Unless you hold a Amateur Radio License! That's the Way its always been and THAT my friend is part of everyday Life!

Gniederb

It's a nice radio but I like the features on the 99 best. I had to have the side bands fixed right out of the box it was broadcasting a carrier on both, and I had the frequencies tightened up better than factory. But it's been a solid radio ever since and its turned up to 42 watts so it talks pretty good, the receive has been tweaked slightly too.

Delta33

It's a nice radio but I like the features on the 99 best. I had to have the side bands fixed right out of the box it was broadcasting a carrier on both, and I had the frequencies tightened up better than factory. But it's been a solid radio ever since and its turned up to 42 watts so it talks pretty good, the receive has been tweaked slightly too.
. So you think Illegal is better?! Its NOT.

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
I have owned several Galaxy models over the years. I've never really got into the SSB, mainly just AM and some freebanding. Not needing SSB the Galaxy 33Hp was a good performer. I'm looking into the Stryker brand radios now, maybe a 447hpc2 or a 655hpc.

Delta33

I have owned several Galaxy models over the years. I've never really got into the SSB, mainly just AM and some freebanding. Not needing SSB the Galaxy 33Hp was a good performer. I'm looking into the Stryker brand radios now, maybe a 447hpc2 or a 655hpc.
Still ILLEGAL.

Gniederb

I was origionally going to get a 33. If you only want AM I believe them to be the best price point for performance on a galaxy, but I learned about ssb and wanted the feature. Of I was going to splurge on a big boy radio why not get it all. Huge step up from a cobra 29. Im learning alot, but still pretty new. Im unfamiliar with stryker

KD8DVR

That statement has grown old over time. The radios are out there, have been and will always be.
It's a part of everyday radio life...
Yep. And I'll complain until the end of time.All those diese out there who think those channels are for the taking, when there are licensed users being interfered with.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
I was origionally going to get a 33. If you only want AM I believe them to be the best price point for performance on a galaxy, but I learned about ssb and wanted the feature. Of I was going to splurge on a big boy radio why not get it all. Huge step up from a cobra 29. Im learning alot, but still pretty new. Im unfamiliar with stryker

Stryker has the 955 which is AM/FM/SSB
Stryker SR-955HPC 10 Meter radio with Single Sideband

the 655 which is AM/FM only
Stryker SR-655-HPC 10 Meter radio with Frequency Counter

the 497 which is AM/FM only as well

and the 447 hpc2 which is AM/FM only as well
Stryker SR-447HPC2 Compact 10 Meter Radio with Multi-Color Faceplate
All reviews I've seen on the Stryker brand radios, point to them being a superb brand.
That can walk the walk and talk the talk..

Gniederb

Stryker has the 955 which is AM/FM/SSB
Stryker SR-955HPC 10 Meter radio with Single Sideband

the 655 which is AM/FM only

the 497 which is AM/FM only as well

and the 447 hpc2 which is AM/FM only as well
Stryker SR-447HPC2 Compact 10 Meter Radio with Multi-Color Faceplate
All reviews I've seen on the Stryker brand radios, point to them being a superb brand.
That can walk the walk and talk the talk..

Those radios look really really nice. Being capable of 70 watts isn't bad either.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The 955 is a nice radio. The power level control is an analog knob, so you aren't limited to 2 or 3 power levels. Audio is loud and clear as long as you keep the reverb and other silly toys turned off.

JayMojave

Hello All: Yeah that video on the 86V was well done and shows all button-ology real good. Good to see they keep making good radios.

I have a Stryker 955 and a Lincoln III, I prefer the Stryker 955 for the easy to use flowing "Button-Ology" operation, and not to mention the pretty lights, can be adjusted in intensity as the radio is mounted on the dash just above the steering wheel. Yeah it puts out 65 watts SSB on the Bird Meter kind of neat but only about 10 on AM. It zooms all over the place 12 to 10 meters with just a flip of a switch. The 955 (NB) noise blanker works incredible well, as do most of all the 955 radio functions.

The Stryker 955 audio output feeds to two diodes back to back to eliminate the audio spike heard when keying the mic, then goes to a old Sonic Cushion a GE47 light bulb across the audio wires, then feeds a 25 ohm pot, this significantly levels out the audio volume on SSB, then the audio is sent to a Clear Speech DSP Filter (Digital Signal Prosser) and the DSP really helps to clean up left over noise.

I use a custom made fiberglass 1/4 wavelength whip antenna that has 8 gauge silver plated wire as the antenna, and its broad banded enough to allow use on 12 to 10 meters. The fiberglass antenna is also reinforced at its base, as it hits every low lying wire, sign, and overpass and makes a terrible "kerr kong" noise in the cab of the truck. But great performance is well worth the noise. Remember radio performance should outway personal comfort, some married guys may have problems with that....

The Lincoln radio works well and all, but its user hostile (to me anyway) button-ology I don't like. I thought it went bad on me as when the channel selector only selected different channels/frequencies and such. Had to get manual out and read it, found that the frequency step adjusto had gotten somehow selected. And it is too easily able to get into modes that require you to reset it, so that you can use it again, not a button-ology friendly radio for mobile use. It now sets on the shelve.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Delta33

Highly Illegal import cb toy radios are nothing to brag about, but are everything to indicate the stupidity of a Poor operator who thumbs their nose at the Rules!

Status
Not open for further replies.