• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Very noisey LSB all through

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowWalker

What would be the reason for so much static on my radio's SSB - LSB & USB? Could it be the radio or an antenna malfunction?

I have a Galaxy DX959 CB. When using it as a base radio and hooked to a 22', ringo style antenna it's not bad on some days but most of the time it's really noisy. The same when I have in my Ford Ranger truck. My SWR sits around 1.6.

Les

TheSpaceMann

Many different things can create noise, from power lines to loose wires! Check your connections first.

kc4jgc

Second what Spacemann says

Power line noise would be the first thing I look.
So many home electronics create rf noise as well. You'd be surprised.

AC9BX

First, is this only with sideband or also with AM? Typically noise is worse for AM. I don't know how noise blanking works on that radio but it could be it doesn't work well or at all on SSB.
Now then, assuming the noise is being received and it's not a radio problem, the sources of noise are many. You'll find dozens of threads on this subject in the Amateur Radio section. Here's some examples, Ethernet router, Internet gateway, washing machine (seriously, the new electronic controls can do this), furnace (same deal), computer monitors, TV sets (plasma sets generate monstrous noise), thermostats, switch mode power supplies (which is just about everything that plugs in these days, phone chargers, game consoles, stereos, power tools) ... you have to turn everything off, switch off circuit breakers. Then listen, if the noise is gone you know it's in your place, which is almost always the case. Then turn stuff back on until you find what it causing it. Power line noise is an issue but the most likely culprit is a piece of equipment you have. If it is indeed power line noise then next thing to do is carry a portable AM radio around the neighborhood listening for this noise. If you can find the source you can contact the power company. They're glad to hear about it. But, just because you hear it the worst in a spot doesn't mean that's the source.

SnowWalker

Yes, the NB/ANL is turned on.

Part of the static problem we is our grandson's wireless headphones. We also did a test with every electrical and wireless gizmo we had in the house. The wireless headphones and the microwave oven were the first noise makers. My computer is sitting beside my radio and created a very small amount of noise, but nothing significant.

We did find that the ring on my roof antenna was covered with snow, especially where the two ends were close together. The gap is 7/8" (-+0) but snow had bridged across the gap. Upon clearing away the snow and readjusting the gap, we got the static down to about 50% of what it was to begin with. We live in the mountains, at a substantial altitude, so the snow maintenance is going to be an ongoing chore.

The SWR sits around 1.7 – 1.9 now so that is acceptable. The Mod. is a bit weak, around 78%. I don’t want to open the radio and start tinkering with things I know nothing about.

Thanks guys. Every little suggestion is looked at and tried so no one's post is ignored.

A very Merry Christmas to all you Radio Gurus out there.

Les

Status
Not open for further replies.