RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum - Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2017, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gniederb View Post
I use a galaxy 99v2 that has ssb. I like it a lot but my experience is low. I think having a good tech to go over it and tun it is maybe as important as selecting a good radio and a good tech can tell you which radios currently have good build quality and which ones don't. Also lots of techs are sonic screwdriver types, get one that's into ham and does more than just cb, they probably have more advanced knowledge in radios and how to precision tune them, not just peak the power output. I've encountered both types in my short journey so far.
So how is that big boy toy going for you? (I recognize the avatar and location from another cb forum). Also a couple of months back I was DX'ing to West Virginia, one of those operators actually might have been you.

What you say is the truth. As I've set up my systems I get a lot of Amp Champs telling me to get a big Amp. Amps have their place if you want to be a big broadcasting station on AM Skip, but if you don't get that receive fully optimized what difference does it make if people can hear you good and you are digging for a comeback. 'They call them Alligator Radios, all mouth and no ears.'

Had a 99 and traded it in on a 959 setup for SSB performance. Didn't really use it enough to know whether the 99 is better or not. The 99 I had was a used one that had issues, plus I don't really like all those voice options.

Last edited by swen_out_west; 05-26-2017 at 2:23 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 05-26-2017, 2:26 PM

Honestly, it might not be a big performer, but I really like the 980SSB paired with a wireless mic. Yes, it has poor modulation (causing the purists on AM to always complain) and the clarifier can't be unlocked for SSB, but I switch over to it at night and can carry that cordless mic all over the house.

I also have found that the receive fidelity(reproduction) is probably the best with the 980, which is a big, big thing for a guy who is hard of hearing,

Last edited by swen_out_west; 05-26-2017 at 2:44 PM..
Old 05-26-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swen_out_west View Post
So how is that big boy toy going for you? (I recognize the avatar and location from another cb forum). Also a couple of months back I was DX'ing to West Virginia, one of those operators actually might have been you.

What you say is the truth. As I've set up my systems I get a lot of Amp Champs telling me to get a big Amp. Amps have their place if you want to be a big broadcasting station on AM Skip, but if you don't get that receive fully optimized what difference does it make if people can hear you good and you are digging for a comeback. 'They call them Alligator Radios, all mouth and no ears.'

Had a 99 and traded it in on a 959 setup for SSB performance. Didn't really use it enough to know whether the 99 is better or not. The 99 I had was a used one that had issues, plus I don't really like all those voice options.
My 99 is the 99v2 it has one voice modulation knob that I don't use and echo that I don't use, but I love the fact that it has AM FM SSB and loads of 11 meter channels plus that little 10khz button. I'm still only using the radio's own power that has been peaked to 42 watts. I have a 102" whip on the top of my silverado that is running 1.4 - 1.5 on the swr. I have an old texas star DX 500 on layaway with my go to radio tech. He's also ordered me a big heavy stainless spring to add to my antenna and hopefully get it down around 1.1 - 1.2 swr. He showed me that the linear has the older "good, no red dot" pills inside. Says the internals have more lead and silica than is allowed in newly manufactured stuff and it should have more reliability and quality than a brand new one.

My radio came from one of those sonic screwdriver type shops cause my good shop I go too didn't have any galaxy 99's and I'd read about them and wanted one specifically and this other guy had them, but he's a cb only kinda shop, retired trucker that tinkers with cb and he peaks every radio before he sells them. It was in such dire need of attention, re calibrations, tuning and what not that my good tech who fixed it can still specifically remember fixing it even a couple of years later. It would have functioned on AM at 23 watts without being obviously out of wack, but it was broadcasting a carrier on ssb for pete's sake and only peaked to 23 watts. Now that it's fixed it works great and functions really well and I probably won't buy another radio unless it's a galaxy 99. I asked my tech today about the strykers and president radios I keep reading ppl talking about. He basically said he's been working on radios for 30 years now and simply won't sell anything manufactured with disposable parts. Just like most any modern appliances, build quality just isn't what it used to be. There's a pretty select few things offered brand new at his shop.

This is the only cb forum I'm on, but I come and go months at a time with no posts so you might just remember me from when i was here and then dissapeared. On a side note that avatar should be pretty unique since it's an actual photo of myself. I don't dress like that often but it was a good joke at the time it was taken...
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2017, 11:51 PM

I have a Galaxy DX 959 SSB CB that I use as a inhouse base and in my pickup as a mobile. I am one of those lucky dudes who lives near the top of mountain at 3500 ft where my Wilson 21' 5/8 wave, Ringo style antenna has an unobstructed view of East & South. On AM I have chats frequently with a fellow in Death Valley, White Fox Saskatchewan, and a CBer in Oregon (Oregon 101). Some days on AM are great while others will get me maybe three miles.

The SSB is really sparatic at most times but with the few truckers who have a SSB, the talking over others is virtually eliminated.

My house roof antenna is mounted into the plumbing vent pipe, but I have a feeling that the lack of a proper ground plane could be hurting my transmission & receive power. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

The Galaxy, when in my pickup (with a roof top mag) works like typical CB. Being that I live at the altittude that I live at, I am quite often the relay or messenger for those who can't reach another radio.

Last edited by SnowWalker; 06-02-2017 at 12:02 AM..
Old 06-02-2017, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWalker View Post
On AM I have chats frequently with a fellow in Death Valley,
That's my neighbor, 11 miles away. I started using the Death Valley, even though it's 90 miles away, location after I realized, through him, that by saying upper Mojave I get confused with the guys down by Jay and get a lot more comebacks since talking to Death valley is a lot cooler than upper mojave..

Small world man, when the skip gets rolling. I think I've heard you and might of even shouted out once in a while. Desert Dog, triple 9, I'm on the side.

I've also been using my 959 pretty heavy on SSB this last week. At night I'll switch back to my 980, but that 959 works SSB a lot better.

Last edited by swen_out_west; 06-02-2017 at 2:20 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 06-02-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swen_out_west View Post
That's my neighbor, 11 miles away. I started using the Death Valley, even though it's 90 miles away, location after I realized, through him, that by saying upper Mojave I get confused with the guys down by Jay and get a lot more comebacks since talking to Death valley is a lot cooler than upper mojave..

Small world man, when the skip gets rolling. I think I've heard you and might of even shouted out once in a while. Desert Dog, triple 9, I'm on the side.
Without a doubt, radio communication and the Internet have made the world a much smaller place to live. I think the altitude that I live at has much to do with my being able to get the far reaching signals.