• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB Radios with SSB

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2PFS

I'm looking to buy a CB radio with SSB. I know Galaxy has a couple of models, are there others that are well liked by users in this forum, if so what is recommended?

Thanks

kesselk

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking to buy a CB radio with SSB. I know Galaxy has a couple of models, are there others that are well liked by users in this forum, if so what is recommended?

Thanks

I am running a Galaxy 99V2 that is real good, and a Stryker 955HP that is awesome!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Uniden Bearcat 980SSB
2980.jpg

w0fg

The Uniden 980, particularly if you catch it on sale at Pilot or Love's is the biggest bargain out there. The Stryker 955HPC is probably the best radio if cost isn't an object.

bhamilton930

Thanks

I currently own
Galaxy 959
uniden 980
president electronics McKinley
President electronics Lincoln II v3
President Washington SSB

Of those radios, the best performers (in order) are: McKinley, Washington, uniden 980.

The Lincoln v3 kinda is in its own class. I'm not overly impressed with this radio at all and debating on selling it to a HAM friend of mine.

Galaxy 959 is poopoo on sideband but excellent on AM.

My favorite radios to use is the Washington and the McKinley. When I die, I want to be buried with these radios so I can DX from the other side :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bhamilton930

The Uniden 980, particularly if you catch it on sale at Pilot or Love's is the biggest bargain out there. The Stryker 955HPC is probably the best radio if cost isn't an object.

$105 on amazon right now will score you a 980 :)

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I think having 2 or 3 of these on hand during a zombie apocalypse would be invaluable. Much more so than FRS/GMRS, and possible even ham radio.

Then run off 12VDC, with modest current requirement, and do not rely on a repeater, which very likely will be dysfunctional during a blackout, if not overwhelmed.

TheSpaceMann

I think having 2 or 3 of these on hand during a zombie apocalypse would be invaluable. Much more so than FRS/GMRS, and possible even ham radio.

Then run off 12VDC, with modest current requirement, and do not rely on a repeater, which very likely will be dysfunctional during a blackout, if not overwhelmed.
True, because they are inexpensive, the average citizen can operate them, and they can be run off of any car battery! Plus, they are already installed in millions of trucks that are operating 24/7 on the nation's highways.

bassman21

I currently own
Galaxy 959
uniden 980
president electronics McKinley
President electronics Lincoln II v3
President Washington SSB

Of those radios, the best performers (in order) are: McKinley, Washington, uniden 980.

The Lincoln v3 kinda is in its own class. I'm not overly impressed with this radio at all and debating on selling it to a HAM friend of mine.

Galaxy 959 is poopoo on sideband but excellent on AM.

My favorite radios to use is the Washington and the McKinley. When I die, I want to be buried with these radios so I can DX from the other side :)

My Optima MK3 works well on AM and SSB. My Lincoln does a great job on transmit after a little tweaking, but the receive, especially on AM isn't that great in high static areas. Even with low static the Optima pulls in distant stations better though the lack of ANL kinda annoys me. I hear the Lincoln 2 plus has better receive and they made some other changes that makes it look more like a ham radio and less like a CB radio being passed off as a ham radio. Overall I like the Lincoln 2 though, mainly don't like the signal to noise ratio.

TheSpaceMann

My Optima MK3 works well on AM and SSB. My Lincoln does a great job on transmit after a little tweaking, but the receive, especially on AM isn't that great in high static areas. Even with low static the Optima pulls in distant stations better though the lack of ANL kinda annoys me. I hear the Lincoln 2 plus has better receive and they made some other changes that makes it look more like a ham radio and less like a CB radio being passed off as a ham radio. Overall I like the Lincoln 2 though, mainly don't like the signal to noise ratio.
The Lincoln 2 actually got a very good review on CBRadioMagazine.com - The only online CB Magazine in the world

scrotumola

You need to check out the Lincoln II + recently released, it is the Lincoln II v3 with even more improvements. If you can find them, President has their authorized dealer saturating the market at $249 while they last..... it has also driven down the IIv3 to $219

~S~

CyberWarrior

True, because they are inexpensive, the average citizen can operate them, and they can be run off of any car battery! Plus, they are already installed in millions of trucks that are operating 24/7 on the nation's highways.

I always keep two TRC-216 WT totally charged just in case of any weird stuff happening.

They have a hook up.to use an outside antenna,being a base antenna is far more reaching than the built in.

eaf1956

Feed Provider

What do you think HAM radios are not capable of communications without using a repeater? Or for that matter running on 12V?

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
How much range do you'd think i would get with BC980 in a small apartment in Manhattan? I am thinking about setting up a 980 as a base, I'm in Hamilton heights, Manhattan

Status
Not open for further replies.