RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum - Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2017, 8:26 PM

The 980 feels a little lightweight but its a very good performer. I used to be in the CB retail/service/install business and have owned some of the best radios made. The 980 will hang with some of the best older SSB rigs at a fraction of the cost. Mine happened to be a slightly used but free hand me down.

My few complaints where the loud beep every time you push a button and the ok but nothing special transmit audio. Both can be fixed with minimal effort leaving you with a really good legal CB. You can also add a power mic and really make it sing on transmit.
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by michy View Post
As mentioned in a previous post here, we ordered the 980 and actually just received it. While the radio has pretty good reviews, first impressions is that aesthetically speaking, the knobs feel so light and cheap. Also the power mike has a very cheap feel to it as well.

In my opinion, the use of the radio is slightly more complex than the "radios of the 70s" due to the electronics of them today (there are some good youtube videos on that part).

There aren't many choices when it comes to the SSB CB's these days (makes us sad that Radio Shack is disappearing).

Unfortunately ours was an "open box" and was missing some parts, so I want to send it back for a new one. We used add notes with online orders that stated "Please ensure item sent is in a sealed box and is unused".
Sponsored links
Old 09-20-2017, 5:53 PM

prcguy, the newer 980 model you can turn off the annoying beeps (thankfully)

I received the President Mckinley as well, and find that its a pretty good radio as well. Having a front facing speaker is nice if you have it sitting on a table (since on the 980 and many others, the speaker faces down).
Old 09-20-2017, 10:55 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by michy View Post
As mentioned in a previous post here, we ordered the 980 and actually just received it. While the radio has pretty good reviews, first impressions is that aesthetically speaking, the knobs feel so light and cheap. Also the power mike has a very cheap feel to it as well.

In my opinion, the use of the radio is slightly more complex than the "radios of the 70s" due to the electronics of them today (there are some good youtube videos on that part).

There aren't many choices when it comes to the SSB CB's these days (makes us sad that Radio Shack is disappearing).

Unfortunately ours was an "open box" and was missing some parts, so I want to send it back for a new one. We used add notes with online orders that stated "Please ensure item sent is in a sealed box and is unused".
You aren't going to get the construction of a Lafayette Comstat 25B these days. But that radio would run your RV battery down in a few hours.

I had a radio shack TRC465 SSB CB I bought in 1994. I wish I had held onto it because it was a simpler more rugged construction than what ships today. You might want to find one lightly used. Mine had chrome plated knobs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi46KBO-5R0

By all means send it back, no reason to accept an old one.
Old 10-04-2017, 7:03 AM

Default My Late Step-Father's RV

You may have already purchased your setup and installed it, but my late step-father had the Cobra 75 WX ST (or something like it) and a 3 or 4 ft FireStix in/on his RV. Every time I went anywhere in his RV, we had his CB on. First time, my step-father, mother, wife, daughter (3yo, at the time), and I took a road trip up to Vegas from San Diego, to go pick up our new Jeep Grand Cherokee, that we had ordered/purchased while we were in Okinawa. The last time, October 2010, my step-father, oldest step-brother, step-sister and I road from San Diego to White House, TX, for my other step-sister's funeral, and then back again.
Old 10-04-2017, 8:51 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbcd View Post
I just ran across the Uniden Beartracker 885 Hybrid CB.

https://www.amazon.com/BearTracker-H...ustomerReviews

I know its much more $$, should I consider this model?
While it may be tempting, you'll likely be disappointed. While it's nice to have an all in one. Both the CB and Scanner functions are lacking what you'd get with separate dedicated devices.
Sponsored links